• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Left (politically)?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
<...>

I start to suspect that the problem here is that the alpha male is seen as an enemy...the white alpha male. Right?
wrong
The problem here is psychological. Not political.
Say it... if it is true. ;)
I'm sure a good portion of the political problems here are psychological, but not in the ways you are suggesting. Lies have been dubbed "alternative facts." This really clouds discernment.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
wrong

I'm sure a good portion of the political problems here are psychological, but not in the ways you are suggesting. Lies have been dubbed "alternative facts." This really clouds discernment.
I hope so.
But I suspect (and this is just a personal opinion...which is probably wrong) that a lesbians' cultural dictatorship has led to the demonization of the white alpha man.

So... men aren't respected unless they are gay.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I hope so.
But I suspect (and this is just a personal opinion...which is probably wrong) that a lesbians' cultural dictatorship has led to the demonization of the white alpha man.

Which lesbians are doing the cultural dictation? I certainly don't see any.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I think the traditions you might be referring to actually started in the 1980s, under Reagan. Prior to that, there was greater support for unions, along with greater sympathy for the poor and working classes. It was Reagan and his supporters who reversed decades of reform and social progress. MAGA is just the natural long-term consequence of the irresponsible and reckless policies we've had since the 1980s.
Exactly. I remember how the basic moral duty of citizens was to look after our neighbors, and with Reagan there was a real effort to define conservatism a certain way. My best friend in high school really liked Reagan because he was tough. The bumper sticker on his car said "Reagan is macho". That image oriented political theater seemed to begin there. In hindsight it's interesting to see how the rhetoric grew within conservative politics with selective targetting of issues and people. The tea party seemed to me the limit of predatory politics. I never could imagane MAGA being what it is, and how many have been attracted to it, and duped by the criminal candidate. I'm stunned at his poll numbers. How can so many feel OK with supporting this guy? It illustrates how successful right wing media and rhetoric is.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I hope so.

I don't believe there's any kind of "cultural dictatorship," since the culture is pretty diverse and mutable.

Ignatius A

I guess I am the only true leftist (except very few people, one or two) on RF. No offense
;)

It's saddening and disheartening to realize that there are too many people who declare themselves "leftists", but actually roll red carpets at bankers and speculators.

There are even bankers who have the cheekiness to call themselves "leftists".
It's like as if the KFC CEO declared himself as the leader of the "chicken's for life movement"
It is grotesque...not to say ridiculous.

So I am asking the members of the Soŕosian Left: what do you mean by Left when you call yourself "a leftist"?

Merci beaucoup pour vos réponses.❤
In America the left is group hell bent on destroying America. The only thing they hate more than America and Americans is Israel and Jews. They will say they love America but if they have to tell you that it's because they know it's not obvious in their behavior.

Ignatius A

If I were Prime Minister, Ì would make unjustified dismissal illegal.
Dismissal has to be based on a just cause...like violating the labor contract.

It is not a just cause to fire an employee because the employer wants to maximize the profits.
Why not? If the employee is not producing why keep them?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Not actually. Salaries are a cost of operating a business. Firing a "productive" worker to reduce overhead is quite appropriate but that would be "for profit" which seems to be an evil people want to get rid of.

So, if a profit is not made as per stated by you, I would accept that. But I know all on the left wouldn't.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Exactly. I remember how the basic moral duty of citizens was to look after our neighbors, and with Reagan there was a real effort to define conservatism a certain way. My best friend in high school really liked Reagan because he was tough. The bumper sticker on his car said "Reagan is macho". That image oriented political theater seemed to begin there. In hindsight it's interesting to see how the rhetoric grew within conservative politics with selective targetting of issues and people. The tea party seemed to me the limit of predatory politics. I never could imagane MAGA being what it is, and how many have been attracted to it, and duped by the criminal candidate. I'm stunned at his poll numbers. How can so many feel OK with supporting this guy? It illustrates how successful right wing media and rhetoric is.

During Reagan's era, there were those who called themselves the "moral majority," and I got the sense that Reagan's popularity arose as a backlash against the ideas embraced by liberals and progressives of the 1960s. It was a backlash against "bleeding heart" liberal "giveaway programs," as well as a sharp backlash against any anti-war and anti-military attitudes.

Liberals were also perceived as being too soft on crime, and the tough, "law-and-order" crowd started getting even harsher to the point where we have militarized police forces and one of the highest incarceration rates in the world. (But at least the crime rate came down, so that's a feather in their cap, I suppose.)

Reagan told people that he was going to "get government off our backs." He argued that too many regulations and high taxes were damaging to the free market, which appealed to a lot of people, as well as small and big business owners.

I also had friends and family members who thought Reagan was tough, and along the same lines, many saw Carter as weak and impotent in the face of the Iranian hostage crisis and the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. That also pretty much evaporated most of the peace-loving ideals of liberals at the time, and right-wing warmongering has been the order of the day ever since.