• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Significance of Adams and Eves Nakedness?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:
..., if you look at the Adam and Chavvah story in the Hebrew, you will find they are one being - that is split apart for procreation purposes. She is NOT created last, or from a rib, etc.
Since when did you become an Hebraist? And what of …
זָכָר וּנְקֵבָה בָּרָא אֹתָם

Don't even try.

You can go to Jewish sites where Rabbi's have come up with the same translation, far in the past.

Ask the Rabbi, JewishAnswers.org » Adam, a Hermaphrodite?

"Rabbi Jeremiah ben Eleazar said: When the Holy One created Adam, He created him hermaphrodite [bisexual], as is said, "Male and female created He them . . . and called their name Adam."(Berei**** 5:2)

Rabbi Samuel bar Nachman said: When the Holy One created Adam, He made him with two fronts; then He sawed him in half and thus gave him two backs, a back for one part and a back for the other part.

Someone objected: But does not Scripture say, "And He took one of his ribs (mi-tzalotav)" (Berei**** 2:21)?

Rabbi Samuel replied: Mi-tzalotav may also mean "his sides," as in the verse "And for the second side (tzela) of the mishkan." (Shemot 26:20)

Midrash Berei****

"The Zohar developed a theory that Adam was originally comprised of both male and female elements. Talmud Tractates Beracoth 61A and Eruvin 18B say: "Adam, who was the first man, had two full faces." Rabbi Samuel ben Nachman said that when God created Adam, "He created him as a hermaphrodite." The Midrash Leviticus Rabbah says: "When man was created, he was created with two body fronts, and God sawed him in two, so that two bodies resulted, one for the male and one for the female."

Rabbi Arthur Segal: RABBI ARTHUR SEGAL:JEWISH RENEWAL: ADAM = HERMAPHRODITE?

Midrash Rabbah - Genesis VIII:1 AND G-D SAID: LET US MAKE MAN, etc. (I, 26). R. Johanan commenced [his discourse]: Thou hast formed me behind and before, etc.[4] Said R. Johanan: If a man is worthy enough, he enjoys both worlds, for it says, ‘Thou hast formed me for a later [world] and an earlier [world].’ But if not, he will have to render a full account [of his misdeeds], as it is said, And laid Thy hand upon me (ib.). R. Jeremiah b. Leazar said: When the Holy One, blessed be He, created Adam, He created him an hermaphrodite [bi-sexual], for it is said, Male and female created He them and called their name Adam.[5] R. Samuel b. Nahman said: When the Lord created Adam He created him double-faced, then He split him and made him of two backs, one back on this side and one back on the other side.

Mashiach – The Second Adam

Rav Nahman bar Rav Hisda expounded on the words, “Then the Lord God formed (וַיִּיצֶר, wa-yitzer) man,” in Genesis 2:7. Rav Nahman bar Rav Hisda taught that the word וַיִּיצֶר, wa-yitzer is written with two yuds (יי) to show that God created people with two inclinations (yetzerim), one good and one evil. Rav Nahman bar Isaac demurred, arguing that according to this logic, animals, of which Genesis 2:19 writes וַיִּצֶר, wa-yitzer with a single yud, should have no evil inclination (yetzer hara), but we see that they injure, bite, and kick, plainly evincing an evil inclination. Rather, Rabbi Simeon ben Pazzi explained that the two yuds by saying, “Woe is me because of my Creator (yotzri), woe is me because of my evil inclination (yitzri)!” Rabbi Simeon ben Pazzi thus indicated that the two yuds indicate the human condition, where God punishes us for giving in to our evil inclination, but our evil inclination tempts us when we try to resist. Alternatively, Rabbi Jeremiah ben Eleazar explained that the two yuds reflect that God created two countenances in the first man, one man and one woman, back to back, as Psalm 139:5 says, “Behind and before have You formed me.”[161]

Legend of the Androgyne - The Biblical Story of Creation

Etc.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:
Again - that cannot be correct as we are told God created them that way, and they lived in the garden happily, that way.

In the story - Only after understanding opposites, do they understand that "NAKED" also has negative connotations.

"Where are thou?" - should not be thought of as - in what "place," but -

in what condition are thou NOW?

The answer -

Exposed, ashamed, and afraid of the consequences.
Shalom Ingledsva, how do you explain Paul's view concerning how the carnal/sinful/corruptible/weak/dishonorable man was FIRST, and not the Spiritual Man:

1Co 15:42-49 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption: (43) It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: (44) It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. (45) And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. (46) Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. (47) The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven. (48) As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly. (49) And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

Yes, Elohim CREATED Adam and Eve EXACTLY as Paul describes here, NAKED, WEAK FLESH, that is corruptible and dishonorable, and they proved their nakedness/sinfulness through their disobedience, thus OPENING their eyes to how they truly were---naked and sinful--carnal flesh. Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew

Simple - they added crap that the story does not say.

Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Gen 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

It doesn't say - It was very good, except for those sinful people I created (in my image?) and their sinful naked body nature! What was I thinking?

If it doesn't say it - it isn't - it is added crap.

They are created naked and good. The rest is only AFTER the fruit story.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Dear Ingledsva, God hides His Truth from unbelievers, but shows it to those who have been born again Spiritually. Genesis 2:4-7 shows that on the SAME Day as the Big Bang of our Universe, which was the SAME Day the First Earth was made, Gen 1:9-10, the THIRD Day, before the plants herbs and trees, YHWH/Jesus formed Adam of the dust of the ground.

When you understand this scientifically, it agrees with the recently discovered Scientific Fact that it was Hundreds of Millions of years AFTER the Big Bang BEFORE the First Stars put forth their Light. Adam was made the THIRD Day, and the FIRST Stars put forth their Light on the FOURTH Day. Gen 1:16 This means that Adam was made BEFORE 13.7 Billion years ago, when the first Stars first lighted. Right?

Adam was made the THIRD Day. Gen 2:4-7
Eve was made the SIXTH Day. Gen 2:22

BOTH were "created" at the same time Spiritually. Gen 1:27 and Gen 5:1-2

What is really interesting is that we live TODAY at Gen 1:27 because God is STILL creating Adam (Heb-mankind) in His Image, which is creating mankind in Christ, Spiritually, Eternally. God will NOT cease to create mankind until Heaven is filled, then we will begin the PROPHECY of Gen 1:28-31, when every creature becomes a Vegetarian. Gen 1:30 This is AFTER Jesus returns to this Earth. God Bless you.

In Love,
Aman

You need to read Gen 1 over again.

Adam (human) was both male and female according to this story.

Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

And it tells us this was the sixth day.

Gen 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

You don't understand what 2:4 is saying.

Gen 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,

That "in the day" means "when," - it tells us this in the first part of the sentence. It mentions generations, it is not saying created in ONE day.

Adam and Eve are in ONE body - which the second story tells us is separated.

And not a, "rib" a "half."

Gen 2:23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
The fall of man was not a step up.Man was never intended to disobey God in the first place.Man disobeyed God and was punished for it.Man was removed from the Garden of Eden and shunned.They were condemned to eternal death.The result of their actions caused their offspring,mankind,to inherit death and imperfection.When this wicked system of things is finally destroyed,the earth will be restored to its original state as it was in the beginning.If it was a step up and God wanted something different then why was Adam and Eve condemned to eternal death? Why restore earth back to its original state?
So God was just powerless to keep things on track from the start. :rolleyes: He was apparently also clueless as to what would happen if He allowed Lucifer to tempt two innocent people with godhood. :rolleyes: Or maybe it was just a set-up. He wanted them to blow it. :rolleyes: He couldn't possibly have had a higher purpose in mind for them. :rolleyes: To quote you, "You still don't understand."

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
So God was just powerless to keep things on track from the start. :rolleyes: He was clueless as to what would happen if He allowed Lucifer to tempt two innocent people with godhood. :rolleyes: To quote you, "You still don't understand."
Expect something like the following from our Bible student.
(Ploy #8)
" You do not understand what is really being said because you have a hardened heart and speak according to your own beliefs."

Aman777

Bible Believer
You need to read Gen 1 over again.

Adam (human) was both male and female according to this story.

And it tells us this was the sixth day.

Dear Ingledsva, Read Gen 5:1-2 and you will see WHEN Adam and Eve were "created in God's Image" or born again Spiritually, in Christ. It was AFTER Cain killed Abel. Also you skipped over the PROPHECY of every living creature becoming a Vegetarian as Gen 1:30 shows. This has NEVER happened in the History of this Planet and will NOT happen until AFTER Jesus returns and the Lion lays down by the Lamb. Isaiah 11 tells all about it.

We remain TODAY at Gen 1:27 because God is STILL creating Adam (mankind) in His Image or In Christ, Spiritually when they are born again of the Spirit of God.

You don't understand what 2:4 is saying.

Gen 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,

That "in the day" means "when," - it tells us this in the first part of the sentence. It mentions generations, it is not saying created in ONE day.

Amen, since EACH of God's Days or Ages is some 4.5 Billion years in length in man's time. The above verse is telling of a time on the THIRD Day, the Day the first Earth and the other Heavens were made, but BEFORE the plants, herbs, and rain, when the LORD (Jesus) made Adam with His own Hands from the dust of the ground.

Adam and Eve are in ONE body - which the second story tells us is separated.

And not a, "rib" a "half."

Gen 2:23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.*

Amen. Adam and Eve are in the Body of Christ Eternally. Few people are documented to be in Heaven as Adam and Eve are. Gen 1:27 shows that they were born again Spiritually or created by Elohim (the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) Gen 5:1-2 shows WHEN the event happened. The Creation of Adam and Eve is also documented in the New Testament in this verse:

1Co 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening Spirit.

Adam was first made a living soul or being physically. Gen 2:4-7
Adam was "created in God's Image" with Eve, Spiritually. Gen 1:27 and Gen 5:1-2

All Christians will be able to meet our first Human parents, in Heaven, thanks to Jesus. God Bless you.

In Love,
Aman

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Expect something like the following from our Bible student.
(Ploy #8)
" You do not understand what is really being said because you have a hardened heart and speak according to your own beliefs."
Yeah, I've already been the recipient of that one, as well as of ploys #3 and #14.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
WHAT? It doesn't say anything about a billion years.

Also, if you look at the Adam and Chavvah story in the Hebrew, you will find they are one being - that is split apart for procreation purposes. She is NOT created last, or from a rib, etc.

Oh God!!! DON'T open this can of worms. He's already got at least two threads choked with this nonsense!

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Adam's nakedness represents the psychological Principle of Drinking Beer, and Eve's nakedness represents the psychological Principle of House Painting. Together they represent the whole human, painting his house drinking beer.

(Ambiguity and any unintentional puns intended.)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Don't even try.

You can go to Jewish sites where Rabbi's have come up with the same translation, far in the past* …
"Rabbi Jeremiah ben Eleazar said: When the Holy One created Adam, He created him hermaphrodite [bisexual], as is said, "Male and female created He them . . . and called their name Adam."(Berei**** 5:2)​
Not translation; interpretation. I can find all manner of speculative midrash in Jewish literature.

More to the point, their is an abundance of Jewish literature that recognizes the generic use of adam as referring to humankind. That you would arrogate to yourself such certainty concerning a language about which you are largely ignorant is pathetic at best.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Not translation; interpretation. I can find all manner of speculative midrash in Jewish literature.

More to the point, their is an abundance of Jewish literature that recognizes the generic use of adam as referring to humankind. That you would arrogate to yourself such certainty concerning a language about which you are largely ignorant is pathetic at best.

Your reply is pathetic!

You don't normally stoop to such nonsense.

I did say Adam is "humankind," somewhere in this thread. However, The first human both male and female, in the second story.

The idea of half and half which split, is very old in Jewish literature, and well known. I am not the first to look at the words and come up with this translation.

ALL midrash is speculative. The verses I provided told why they came up with half - rather then rib. And the story specifically says she was taken/split from "the Adam."

You are being disingenuous when you say what you do above.

Sonofason

Is there any more or greater significance to Adams and Eves nakedness than that it represents their innocence?

For instance, in the Gilgamesh epic, one of the characters is introduced as a wild man who runs around naked. Later, his wildness is brought to an end by his having sex with a woman. So, it would seem that his nakedness might have had something to do with his sexual innocence. Or perhaps, it had more to do with his lack of being civilized. Different interpretations seem possible.

So, is there more than one interpretation for the nakedness of Adam and Eve? If so, what are the interpretations?

It seems to me that the serpent in the garden had caused lust to enter into the minds of Adam and Eve. By eating the fruit of this good and evil knowledge tree, (whatever the meaning this action represents), a deliberate act of rebellion against God on their part, their eyes were opened. Their evil and lustful inclinations became a part of them. They lusted for things, and they knew it.

I could just imagine Eve foraging through the garden, all naked and stuff, and there's Adam behind a tree, now watching her. No wonder she covered herself up. And when she did, I can just imagine Adam's shame as he covers himself in turn, knowing in his heart why she had covered herself. Lust and shame.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
For me being naked represents being pure without sin, when they sinned god made them clothing made out of an animal he had to kill. Adam and Eve are now clothed in sin, they now need to find the pure white garment to cover their sins, to repent and come back to god as one, just as they were born through god.

Ken Brown

Simple - they added crap that the story does not say.

It doesn't say - It was very good, except for those sinful people I created (in my image?) and their sinful naked body nature! What was I thinking?

If it doesn't say it - it isn't - it is added crap.

They are created naked and good. The rest is only AFTER the fruit story.
Shalom Ingledsva, the Apostle Paul had a very high level of wisdom, and he understood things from a perspective that most have not considered. Take Rom 11:32, he considered that it was Elohim who consigned or shut up mankind to disobedience, and this goes along with what he said in 1Cor 15 about the first Adam being weak, dishonorable, corruptible, etc. Paul also tells us in Rom 8 that the creation was subjected to moral depravity (vanity), not willingly, but according to the plan of Elohim. You were very correct when you stated that it takes two opposites to create, as mankind (starting with naked Adam and Eve) opposed the nature of Elohim, and according to His plan, He is creating the perfect UNION of Himself with a Bride (those who overcome the condition of NAKED flesh/sinful desires). These things are not easily grasped or accepted, but they are true.

And concerning that EVERYTHING was very good, yes, it was EXACTLY as He had planned, but to believe that Adam and Eve were created with a PERFECT nature that was not inclined to sin, is an immature view of what took place. Adam and Eve had the same desires and pulls as does ALL flesh, right from the start, and this disobedience that mankind was placed under, is what Elohim desires that we learn to overcome, and TURN from those iniquities (Acts 3:26). How were we to LEARN about sin and it's consequences, unless we were exposed to it, and then be given the power to overcome the condition we were created in-naked flesh. Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew.

Ken Brown

hey Ken,
I find it difficult to consider what Paul's opinion about the morals of the first two people that were on earth at that time has any bearing on what Moses meant when Moses wrote the genesis.
Everything that Paul writes sounds much like the writing of a pervert.
As said: "NAKED, WEAK FLESH, that is corruptible and dishonorable, and they proved their nakedness/sinfulness through their disobedience, thus OPENING their eyes to how they truly were---naked and sinful--carnal flesh."
That sounds a deranged preacher to me....or at least demented.
I'm trying to figure out what your trying to stress here......
But I'm not too bright most days.....
fill me in please.
~
'mud
Shalom mud, do you understand about how your immune system works? Nature teaches us that when we are young, just beginning in life, we get exposed to all kinds of non-lethal diseases, which our body learns to recognize and then attack with our immune system. This is what Elohim is doing with mankind by creating us flesh, thus exposing us to sin and those desires of the flesh. He wants us to develop a strong immune system AGAINST sin so that throughout ALL of eternity, we can be protected against the fatal disease of sinning against His Spirit. All manner of fleshly sin will be forgiven the sons of men, but sinning against The Spirit will not be forgiven in this age, or in any age to come. Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew/Ken.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Ok....to all.....but....
the account I hold is King James 1960.
It reads fairly well, I do think so.

Chapter One ends with Man as male AND female....
go forth be fruitful and multiply....they did.
Dominate all things....of course.

No names, no garden, no law, nothing to be ashamed of......

Chapter Two (as I read it) is NOT a retelling of Chapter One.

Chapter One leans to evolution and Chapter Two is a story of selection and manipulation....body and spirit.

Eve...if you take the literal tone.....is a clone.
Not born of woman...she had no navel.
Made of a tissue sample, she would be Adam's twin sister....for a bride.

And yes they were naked.
The ideal living conditions would not induce the need for cover.

The need for cover came after the 'choice' they were given to make.
Leaving the garden and the easy living therein.....
this world would seem harsh, and flesh is soooooooo fragile.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
hey Ken,
Nice sermon there, all about preserving us and protecting us against all the nasty stuff out there.
And then he lets us die, but.....if we're good....we can go to heaven....
joy to all.
I'll become a memory to others, thank you.
~
'mud