• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What religion is scientifically proven?

horiturk

Assyrian Devil
you can twist things into whatever you want but the laws of physics do not suggest that an illiterate man can fly on a horse to jerusalem.if you're going to use science you're saying science is an authority....oh and the moon has never been cleaved in two either.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
This might be a little off topic, but I think it's also a bit relevant to the topic. It is a common mistake that people have been taught that man believed the world was flat until Galileo and Copernicus. The ancient Greek philosophers knew the world was round. It might not have been common knowledge, but it was known, by at least some people. But the idea that behind some religions claiming that their holy texts contains scientific truths not known to the people at the time of their composition, is, I think, more of an argument to try to gain converts. I realize that most people here realize this, but horiturk makes a good point. If you're going to try to use science as a tool for your religion, you cannot pick and choose what you use and what you don't. You either accept science, or you deny it. You cannot accept the theory of gravity but not the theory of evolution. You cannot believe in miraculous or supernormal events, and at the same time use science to try to prove the validity of one's religion.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes there is no science Quran , all the things mentioned were just lucky guesses :facepalm:
No, they're creative after-the-fact interpretation.

Just like this is another coincidence

[youtube]hD2323zkQUM[/youtube]
YouTube - Golden Ratio Point Of The World * Mecca
I've heard that one before. You've got to play fast and loose with your arithmetic to make this work, but that aside... even if this is correct, consider what he implies:

Latitude is measured from the equator - fair enough; it's a reasonably objective reference. However, longitude is completely arbitrary; any line of longitude is as good a reference as any other. The only reason why we measure longitude from where we do (the Greenwich Mean Line) is because of the British Empire: we measure longitude from Greenwich only because Britain dominated the world's oceans for centuries.

Does this mean that the ascendance of the British Empire was ordained by God? ;)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This might be a little off topic, but I think it's also a bit relevant to the topic. It is a common mistake that people have been taught that man believed the world was flat until Galileo and Copernicus. The ancient Greek philosophers knew the world was round. It might not have been common knowledge, but it was known, by at least some people.
Especially in the early Muslim world. Many prominent Persian and Arabian astronomers were very familiar with the work of Ptolemy, Eratosthenes, Marinus and others, and built upon it.

I blame Washington Irving. He was the one who perpetuated the idea that everyone thought the world was flat until Columbus.

outhouse

Atheistically
Especially in the early Muslim world. Many prominent Persian and Arabian astronomers were very familiar with the work of Ptolemy, Eratosthenes, Marinus and others, and built upon it.

I blame Washington Irving. He was the one who perpetuated the idea that everyone thought the world was flat until Columbus.

true

matt said it well though

it was not common knowledge that the earth was round when the OT was written. This is evident in the writtings

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
true

matt said it well though

it was not common knowledge that the earth was round when the OT was written. This is evident in the writtings

Yes, the OT, and the NT as well, seems to indicate a flat earth, that doesn't move, and is the center of the solar system, if not the entire universe. I've seen Christians quote from either Isaiah or the Psalms, I don't remember which, about the "circle of the earth". But from what I can remember, the Hebrew word doesn't mean spherical, like some Christian apologists seem to indicate. You can have a flat circle.

outhouse

Atheistically
Yes, the OT, and the NT as well, seems to indicate a flat earth, that doesn't move, and is the center of the solar system, if not the entire universe. I've seen Christians quote from either Isaiah or the Psalms, I don't remember which, about the "circle of the earth". But from what I can remember, the Hebrew word doesn't mean spherical, like some Christian apologists seem to indicate. You can have a flat circle.

I dont get hung up whether one book got is right or not about circle or sphere. we know at the time of the OT they did in fact think the earth was flat and the sun revolved around the fixed earth on it pillars and foundation lol under the firmament LOL :facepalm:

there is no proven religion and science proves most are built on shakey ground by ancient men

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
With all due respect, I can only wonder why Muslims would even bring the idea of a scientifically proven religion to the table.

I have read enough of the Quran to know that if such a religion does exist (which I find both unlikely and pointless) then it is most certainly not Islam. For all their virtues, Islam and the Quran simply don't much care about science. That is not even a criticism - I don't see why any religion should care about science, myself. But for whatever it is worth, Islam isn't scientifically comprovated by any stretch of the imagination.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I think we are going to rue the day we ever gave the Muslim world access to high technology. What were we thinking?

To be fair, historic Muslims gave the world a great deal of mathematics, medicine and astronomy.

However yeah, the scientific literacy in many places is abysmal -- Muslim or not.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Has the answer to this thread been given yet? I am really waiting with baited breath to find out what it is.

Oh, you missed that the OP is convinced that the Quran is a scientific miracle, blah blah, Forer Effect, blah blah, confirmation bias, blah.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
To be candid, those marvelous accomplishments were a very long time ago.

I've also long been interested in seeing how secular the culture was when those accomplishments were being made. I have a sneaking suspicion that religion had a much more marginal role in the culture than it does today.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
With all due respect, I can only wonder why Muslims would even bring the idea of a scientifically proven religion to the table.

I have read enough of the Quran to know that if such a religion does exist (which I find both unlikely and pointless) then it is most certainly not Islam. For all their virtues, Islam and the Quran simply don't much care about science. That is not even a criticism - I don't see why any religion should care about science, myself. But for whatever it is worth, Islam isn't scientifically comprovated by any stretch of the imagination.

you are so right.
the Qur'an is not a science book.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
you are so right.
the Qur'an is not a science book.

I should put that quote in my signature. So many times i've seen that the quran has predicted all kinds of scientific events etc.

Its scripture not science. I even remember a 60 page debate over whether or not the quran accurately predicted the composition of man. Apparently it did because we are made of the same molecules as clay :facepalm: