• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was last movie you watched?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
"The Wolf of Wall Street", just a few minutes ago.

I wonder how many common, mutually exclusive readings the movie will have. I disliked the utter decadence of the first half or so of the movie and the ambiguous ending, but there was some surprisingly effective commedy starting with the "delayed fuse" part.

Myself, I think it is a fairly good warning against the dangers of unchecked personal ambition... but it will still be interpreted as something else entirely by those who most urgently need to understand that.

freethinker44

"The Wolf of Wall Street", just a few minutes ago.

I wonder how many common, mutually exclusive readings the movie will have. I disliked the utter decadence of the first half or so of the movie and the ambiguous ending, but there was some surprisingly effective commedy starting with the "delayed fuse" part.

Myself, I think it is a fairly good warning against the dangers of unchecked personal ambition... but it will still be interpreted as something else entirely by those who most urgently need to understand that.

They've already seen it, and it went right over their heads.

"The Wolf of Wall Street" reviewed by bankers.

freethinker44

Just saw Pacific Rim.

I was surprised by it. Thought it was going to be horrible like those cheesy board-game-based movies that have been coming out lately, i.e. Battleship. But it was pretty good. The designs are obvious Guillermo Del Toro creations, I kind of wish he would change it up a little bit. Don't get me wrong, it is completely it's own movie, just the monster designs are like if Godzilla had a role in Hellboy II and Pan's Labrynth.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
They've already seen it, and it went right over their heads.

"The Wolf of Wall Street" reviewed by bankers.

Thanks for the link. I guess I should have expected that.

On retrospect, the movie was well done, but suffered from a lack of effort (or perhaps skill) from Scorcese to emphasize how deeply sick and decadent Jordan Belfort and his ilk are. Often enough I found myself wondering if he wanted me to find it funny or even exciting that Belfort is a sorry excuse for a human being that seems to have more cocaine than blood in his veins.

I actually wonder how I would feel about the movie if I were not so deeply disgusted by drug use from the get-go. It does make it look like cocaine and quadalude are funnier and perhaps safer than alcohol, which I found disturbing. And it sure makes a point of showing how much fun the rotten excuse for a man had from his excesses.

The FBI agent was well presented, almost unrealistically so. "Naomi" was a bit inconsistent, appearing far more responsible and honest later on than the amoral opportunist behavior of the early movie would give me reason to expect. But I fear that many people ended up rooting for Belfort instead of the FBI agent nevertheless, which is a very sobering fear to have.

Most interesting of all, the movie works fine as an insight of the inherent sickness of a culture driven by material and financial success. Yet it is disturbing how quickly and completely the initial resistance to Matthew McConaughey's character's utterly criminal ethics are forgotten.

I truly think Scorcese intentionally refused to take a clear stand about that bozo, perhaps even as a personal statement towards the wider acceptance of drug use. Which is a shame. He was such a lovely character to despise the very guts of! Yet for all his stink, Belfort completely overdid him almost from the get go.

Ultimately it comes down to whether one finds it funny and exciting or depressing and tragic that a person can exist in society while indulging in so much excess pretty much unchallenged.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The Adjustment Bureau

It was more interesting than I expected.
I like the ambiguity between a supernatural & a technological sort-of-supreme-being running the show.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Finally saw The Conjuring. Turned the lights out and watched it late at night for extra special creepiness. It did not disappoint.

ametist

Inside lewyn davis.
We take what a lot of nice things for granted and life inherintly and ironically sucks despite we are clearly connected to many such things.

Matemkar

An Iranian Movie (shoot in Iran, China, Thailand, etc.); The Maritime Silk Road

maritime_silk_road.jpg

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
We just saw Pacific Rim last night on On-Demand. It was really good. I think tonight will be Man of Steel.