• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What will Christians and Muslims have to say

Comicaze247

See the previous line
This is something I have never understood. Why are most religions so hung up on sexuality and sex in general? What happened there?
Some men couldn't get laid.
They claimed to be holy, so they could get attention.
They still couldn't get laid.
So they said that in order to be holy, you can't have sex.
Because they weren't having sex, they were better than you.

challupa

Some men couldn't get laid.
They claimed to be holy, so they could get attention.
They still couldn't get laid.
So they said that in order to be holy, you can't have sex.
Because they weren't having sex, they were better than you.
Ahhh and then they decided that those who were having sex were far too happy, so they made it a sin to enjoy sex?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
This is something I have never understood. Why are most religions so hung up on sexuality and sex in general? What happened there?
Intimacy in those religions is supposed to be a spiritual as well as physical experience, joining the male and female together in, and beyond, the flesh... for those religions it is important to not abuse the gift os sexuality we have...

For those who state that homosexuality is "unnatural", please note that by definition nothing is unnatural if it occurs in nature.
Might as well say nothing is unnatural, since everything we see, hear, or do occurs "in nature"...

The arguement that animals do it so it is natural fails in at least two ways, at least from the perspective you are argueing against... First, the whole of nature itself was corrupted in the fall... and second, just because an animal does something(that may be natural for them) does not mean it is natural for a human to do so... Praying Mantis females killing their mates comes to mind...

Changing orientation...the idea is just ludicrous.

YouTube - The Hour: Ex Gay

YouTube - Ex-Gay Survivors on Tyra

Shoot, would post more, as there are tons...but huge storm just moved in...getting off computer!

Hi Draka; looks to me like sexual orientation can change:

The sexology literature reports a huge number of examples of change of all degrees from homosexuality to or toward heterosexuality. These studies have been so numerous that West (a gay man) in 1977 took an entire chapter in his classic book, Homosexuality Re-examined, to review them, and commented: “Although some militant homosexuals find such claims improbable and unpalatable, authenticated accounts have been published of apparently exclusive and long-standing homosexuals unexpectedly changing their orientation. http://www.mygenes.co.nz/Ch12.pdf

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Hi Draka; looks to me like sexual orientation can change:

The sexology literature reports a huge number of examples of change of all degrees from homosexuality to or toward heterosexuality. These studies have been so numerous that West (a gay man) in 1977 took an entire chapter in his classic book, Homosexuality Re-examined, to review them, and commented: “Although some militant homosexuals find such claims improbable and unpalatable, authenticated accounts have been published of apparently exclusive and long-standing homosexuals unexpectedly changing their orientation. http://www.mygenes.co.nz/Ch12.pdf

taken from the chapter above:
but a far greater proportion of homosexuals become heterosexual than heterosexuals become homosexual
this just makes me go :rolleyes:

Plenty of us got the friend who is nice, intelligent, and gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide, these people will 'go heterosexual' when the pope decides to make the Hajj. :areyoucra

Sahar

True. But being homosexual isn't.
Maybe but the same as schizophrenia for instance. Biology plays a very important role but we do search to treat this kind of mental disorder. Many disorders and diseases are due to biological causes but we still search for a treatment.

So . . . being true to yourself requires treatment?
Being true to yourself is to admit that you have a problem.
Say I love candy, but because of my health freak friends, I'm pressured not to eat any. Does eating candy require treatment?
Can't you think of a better example? :sarcastic

There is no conclusive proof that homosexuality is of biological cause and according to my knowledge group of different biological and environmental causes is the most accepted say but it won't make anything different regarding being a disorder or not.

Last edited:

Draka

Wonder Woman
Maybe but the same as schizophrenia for instance. Biology plays a very important role but we do search to treat this kind of mental disorder. Many disorders and diseases are due to biological causes but we still search for a treatment.

There is no conclusive proof that homosexuality is of biological cause and according to my knowledge group of different biological and environmental causes is the most accepted say but it won't make anything different regarding being a disorder or not.

Is being left-handed a disorder too? I mean, it has been established that it is "normal" to be right-handed as the left side of the brain is the one that is naturally supposed to determine dominancy. If for some reason that hemisphere of the brain ends its development before dominancy is established then the right side picks it up and voila...a left-handed person. Since being left-handed is not "normal" should it be classified as a "disorder" to be fixed? Should we go back to instructing left-handed children to write and use their right hand at all times? Should we force it on them? Should we go tampering around in their brain to "fix" them?

Now, I think that is a very fair comparison. A much better one than the ones you are trying to use. As homosexuality has about as much as a negative effect on anyone else's life as left-handedness. Being homosexual is not a crime...nor is being left-handed. Being left-handed doesn't affect anyone but the left-handed individual. Nor does being homosexual. If homosexuality is determined in the forming stages of the person in the womb...just like whether a person is left-handed or redheaded or even has green eyes (which, btw, are all "abnormalities") then it is as natural to that person as any other attribute and cannot be simply chalked up to a "disorder" simply because your religious system doesn't like it. Can I call something about you which is benign to me and doesn't hurt you a "disorder" and demand that you have it "fixed"? Fair is fair right?

taken from the chapter above: this just makes me go :rolleyes:

Plenty of us got the friend who is nice, intelligent, and gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide, these people will 'go heterosexual' when the pope decides to make the Hajj. :areyoucra

Don’t be a pessimist.

Shouldn’t we be fair to former homosexuals (some claim to have had 100 - 1000 partners) who’ve testified their orientation truly changed? Whether their testimonies are true, we need to respect them enough to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Don’t be a pessimist.

Shouldn’t we be fair to former homosexuals (some claim to have had 100 - 1000 partners) who’ve testified their orientation truly changed? Whether their testimonies are true, we need to respect them enough to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Should I give people with testimonies about receiving the holy spirit into their lives, and that they are 'born again'? and found God? the benefit of the doubt? :no:
both cases seem to be of the plane of delusions and brainwashing.

Sajdah

Al-Aqsa Is In My Heart.
The problem is that you hypothesize things are not true at all and, unfortunately, you consider these things as facts.
That's why it was wrong to answer a hypothetical question as some people will think that it is a FACT. Although no one here attached any scientific proof.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Is being left-handed a disorder too? I mean, it has been established that it is "normal" to be right-handed as the left side of the brain is the one that is naturally supposed to determine dominancy. If for some reason that hemisphere of the brain ends its development before dominancy is established then the right side picks it up and voila...a left-handed person. Since being left-handed is not "normal" should it be classified as a "disorder" to be fixed? Should we go back to instructing left-handed children to write and use their right hand at all times? Should we force it on them? Should we go tampering around in their brain to "fix" them?

Now, I think that is a very fair comparison. A much better one than the ones you are trying to use. As homosexuality has about as much as a negative effect on anyone else's life as left-handedness. Being homosexual is not a crime...nor is being left-handed. Being left-handed doesn't affect anyone but the left-handed individual. Nor does being homosexual. If homosexuality is determined in the forming stages of the person in the womb...just like whether a person is left-handed or redheaded or even has green eyes (which, btw, are all "abnormalities") then it is as natural to that person as any other attribute and cannot be simply chalked up to a "disorder" simply because your religious system doesn't like it. Can I call something about you which is benign to me and doesn't hurt you a "disorder" and demand that you have it "fixed"? Fair is fair right?

Im left handed with green eyes.... im f***** :D

Why is it that the world must find excuses to condemn homosexuality based on 2000 morality? It astounds me how narrow people are.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
You're working under the premise that homosexuality is a problem that requires treatment. Like . . . having blue eyes? Green eyes? You know those are genetic mutations, right?

Again, you're working under the premise of homosexuality being a problem.

I.E.: Giving in to being yourself against the pressures of society. That requires treatment?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
When and if a gay gene is identified by geneticists. Will you abandon your stance that it is a choice, evil, abomination, unnatural?

I don't believe that being gay is a choice nor do I believe that being gay is a sin. But one can certainly choose whether or not they partake in a certain kind of relationship.

My opinion wouldn't change. One should make decisions for themselves based upon their own convictions.