• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's For Dinner?

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
That is true. I think that the store can see that summer is coming and there are rules on how they can sell meat. I do not think that the store can sell them. I love a slow braised lamb shank but my housemate won't even try them. She will eat lamb loin chops if smothered in a bearnaise sauce (don't tell @Wu Wei). I have found a Greek styled version cooked in a tomato sauce served over orzo that looks promising. For myself I would like to try an Indian version.
images

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Very nice in tomato sauce, I've not done an Indian version myself but in the UK I often frequented an Indian take away that did an awesome lamb korai.
It looks interesting. I think that to make it I would need a rather heavy duty cleaver. Most call for cut up pieces and I have whole shanks. And I do not think they would give me the fantastic sale price if I asked them to cut open the meat and cut them for me.. But there are various recipes and a whole shank version may be one of them.

Oh, and as typical, the British tend to have more and better curry recipes than we do. One tell that it was British is the spelling of "chillies". With Mexico right next to us and one of the countries were chilies first were grown we tend to adopt their spelling and pronunciation. "Chilli" is wrong because of the double "l" in the word. In Mexican Spanish (there are variants in Spain for this letter and in other Spanish speaking countries as well) the double "l" is called an "elle". Pronounced a-yay with two long a's. The letter makes a "y" sound. So when I see the word chili with two l's my brain reads it as chee-yee. An example of a Spanish word with that sound would be quesadilla.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Mackerel can be very very fishy. It was the on fish in sushi that I would sometimes think was too much.

And now a serious question. My local Safeway had lamb shanks at the incredible price of only two bucks a pound. The problem? I am the only lamb lover in the house. Perhaps they would be good in a salad?
Could be, but I love Lamb & Roots Stew! All root vegetables: carrots, onions, yams, sometimes turnips and/or rutabaga, and a touch of ginger. Mmmmm good. When I make soups and stews, living alone, I jar it up in Mason jars and put it in the freezer to have another time. You could do the same for the next time you have a taste for lamb.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Nothing fancy tonight, I may have over done it today and I am edging a gastritis attack.... so peanut butter and toast tonight... maybe some egg white

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It looks interesting. I think that to make it I would need a rather heavy duty cleaver. Most call for cut up pieces and I have whole shanks. And I do not think they would give me the fantastic sale price if I asked them to cut open the meat and cut them for me.. But there are various recipes and a whole shank version may be one of them.
Ummm...not a lot better than lamb shank that's been braised (for at least 4 hours!) in red wine with fresh rosemary, garlic, and tomatoes. Excellent served with polenta or roasted garlic mashed potatoes to soak up the wonderful sauce.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Lasagne.

Layers of left over bolognese between sheets of lasagna, covered in a cheese sauce with tons of grated parmesan on top.
Heat in the oven for 20 minutes until the parmesan turns golden and crunchy.

Banana split with chocolate chunks in the split, wrapped in aluminium foil and popped in the oven while we eat the lasagne. Served with vanilla ice-cream.