• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's For Dinner?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Truly European meal

Cannaloni.

Edit: Change of plan

Black forest gateau

Apple pie with ice-cream

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
Roast leg of pork*, Sarladaise potatoes, broccoli.

* Veggie gets a Provencal veg tart

Left over apple pie and whipped cream

ChristineM

Premium Member
I had to look up Salardaise potatoes. The recipe looks interesting and good. It is a pity that duck and goose fat do not exist as ingredients in our stores.

I don't use duck or goose. Not happy with the way they are treated here. So a combination of molten butter and colza oil (i guess any cooking oil will do)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don't use duck or goose. Not happy with the way they are treated here. So a combination of molten butter and colza oil (i guess any cooking oil will do)

I am aware of the foie gras controversy. I have never had it and probably never will. That appears that it would have to be the exception rather than the rule since force feeding is labor intensive. And there are problems with poultry in the US too, though things have gotten better. "Cage free" used to be an upgrade when it came to eggs locally and now it is the law. All eggs in my state are from cage free hens. Hopefully we will continue to improve treatment of the animals that feed us.

EDIT: How does this recipe look:

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I am aware of the foie gras controversy. I have never had it and probably never will. That appears that it would have to be the exception rather than the rule since force feeding is labor intensive. And there are problems with poultry in the US too, though things have gotten better. "Cage free" used to be an upgrade when it came to eggs locally and now it is the law. All eggs in my state are from cage free hens. Hopefully we will continue to improve treatment of the animals that feed us.

EDIT: How does this recipe look:

I thought that said potatoes sardines... Ew

Secret Chief

Degrow!
The treatment of birds for foie gras isn't exactly news though. What next from the Daily Mail - man lands on the moon?

I've watched a video where a foie gras producer explained how what he did was humane. Unfortunately I don't have his address so I can't pop over to feed him humanely. Who's he ******* kidding?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The treatment of birds for foie gras isn't exactly news though. What next from the Daily Mail - man lands on the moon?

I've watched a video where a foie gras producer explained how what he did was humane. Unfortunately I don't have his address so I can't pop over to feed him humanely. Who's he ******* kidding?
I finally watched the video. I have never had foie gras and I definitely do not plan on adding it to the menu.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I finally watched the video. I have never had foie gras and I definitely do not plan on adding it to the menu.
Oh, you have missed something!

For my lover's 40th birthday, the appetizer I made was a terrine of foie gras with ice-wine soaked raisins, wrapped in leeks (white/green stripes), served over a wheat-berry salad with apple cider vinaigrette and a home-made apple chip! It was fantastic! (The main course was chateaubriand, sauce bearnaise, roasted potatoes and asparagus with a Chateau Margaux 1970. Dessert was port caramelized pears served with stilton cream. You would have loved it!)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Oh, you have missed something!

For my lover's 40th birthday, the appetizer I made was a terrine of foie gras with ice-wine soaked raisins, wrapped in leeks (white/green stripes), served over a wheat-berry salad with apple cider vinaigrette and a home-made apple chip! It was fantastic! (The main course was chateaubriand, sauce bearnaise, roasted potatoes and asparagus with a Chateau Margaux 1970. Dessert was port caramelized pears served with stilton cream. You would have loved it!)
I may have. But if people had to watch what it takes to make foie gras how many of them would have enjoyed that meal. The price for the meal is more than I want to pay morally. Some day we are likely to perfect growing various meats in vitro. A that point we can leave morals behind. This year I cooked some Copper River Sockeye Salmon a few times. When fresh it is incredibly amazing. And I think that almost the entire catch is sold fresh. There is a short window of availability for it. There are some high quality sources that ship it nationwide that freeze but they also have a highly premium price on it.

My first site I hit on has "Premium slices" at $38 a pound. A bit more than the $15 a pound that I paid locally. Though I am buying a whole filet. This by the way, is over done. You should not see that much of the fat turning white:

1719173309383.png

And looking at other sources it appear that a $40 buck a pound price is pretty standard for that fish. I am lucky that I live where I live.