• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's For Dinner?

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Nothing special, egg white with potato, corn on the cob, and a Chinese wheat bun.....

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Whiting is one of my favourite fish but what I call whiting is probably a completely different thing to what you call whiting. There's a few different varieties but Sand Whiting is the most common where I live.

My package out of the frozen food case just said Pacific Whiting. ;) But with all the added flavors, tonight's was good. I will be making that again.

benncathloy25

I am waking this thread back up. A few days ago I made a batch of Asado de Puerco. Literally "roast pork" but I would not call it that. As his link shows it was more of a stew. Pork shoulder meat, and dried peppers that have been soaked and blended are the key ingredients:

It is an extremely tasty recipe. I am amazed that it is not at more Mexican restaurants. Normally served with beans and rice I was in a mood for something different so I bought some premade sopes and finished cooking them and put the stew on top. My housemate took a little taste but did not eat it so I had a dinner or two and two or three lunches of it. I only had a little left today and I already miss it.

It looks a lot like this:

View attachment 94762

My sauce was thicker and then I served it on these:
View attachment 94763mo bistro restaurant menu
I'm aware of the controversy surrounding foie gras. I've never tried it and likely never will, given that force-feeding is labor-intensive and ethically questionable. The poultry industry in the US has its own issues, although there have been improvements over time. For example, "cage-free" eggs were once considered a better option, but now it's the law in my state—all eggs come from cage-free hens. I hope we continue to make progress in improving the treatment of the animals that provide our food.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm aware of the controversy surrounding foie gras. I've never tried it and likely never will, given that force-feeding is labor-intensive and ethically questionable. The poultry industry in the US has its own issues, although there have been improvements over time. For example, "cage-free" eggs were once considered a better option, but now it's the law in my state—all eggs come from cage-free hens. I hope we continue to make progress in improving the treatment of the animals that provide our food.
I agree. And it is the same in my state. The base price of eggs went up about fifty cents a dozen when that change hit. Sometimes I wonder if it is worth a whole dime, that is ten pennies folks, to make my breakfast a bit more guilt free when I eat eggs.

But I wonder why you quoted that post? I have opposed foie gras elsewhere. I have never eaten any to my knowledge and now that I am aware of it I never will. But my recipe was about pork. And that is another industry that needs some work sadly.

Spice

Tonight was a near perfect summertime supper. . .succotash with baked sweet potato with cinnamon. The only thing missing was the fresh tomato slices and biscuit (scone).

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Tonight was a near perfect summertime supper. . .succotash with baked sweet potato with cinnamon. The only thing missing was the fresh tomato slices and biscuit (scone).

I didn't know succotash was a dish, I thought it was just something daffy duck said. Now I need to try it.

Spice

I didn't know succotash was a dish, I thought it was just something daffy duck said. Now I need to try it.
It's a family staple, to the point where one of my 50+ yo nieces still makes faces at the mention of the dish. My brother, her Dad loved it!

I just do the half and half butterbeans and white corn and have the tomato to the side when I have them, but many use the tomato in the beans/corn either cooked with, or tomato relish on top. Yummmm

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Probably linguine with shrimp scampi tonight. For our European members, there are no scampi in shrimp scampi. It is an Italian-American claim. When Italian immigrants first came here they found that some ingredients did not exist here. One was the crustacean called scampi. Shrimp are cooked in the same manner in garlic, white wine, and lemon juice. More than one American tourist in Italy has complained when they ordered scampi and there were not any shrimp in it.

Probably this recipe: