• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which statement is more likely to be true:

Do humans know what created existence?

• Yes, humans know what created existence.

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • No, human do not know what created existence.

Votes: 37 77.1%

• Total voters

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
...You aren't even saying anything coherent. You're repeatedly claiming everything is infinite, but aren't actually backing this up with anything, let alone any logic, fallacious or otherwise.

Last edited:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I say the same to you. only difference is that I make sense. intimidating, i know
You asked for one example of existence being a finite thing.

I provided an example of how existence has a finite limit, and others provided other examples.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
You asked for one example of existence being a finite thing.

I provided an example of how existence has a finite limit, and others provided other examples.
But you didn't. Your example was of the limit of speed, not of existence.

sniper762

ex·ist·ence

   https://secure.reference.com/sso/register_pop.html?source=favorites/ɪgˈzɪs
thinsp.png
təns/ Show Spelled[ig-zis-tuh
thinsp.png
ns] Show IPA
–noun 1. the state or fact of existing; being.

2. continuance in being or life; life: a struggle for existence.

3. mode of existing: They were working for a better existence.

4. all that exists: Existence shows a universal order.

5. something that exists; entity; being.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But you didn't. Your example was of the limit of speed, not of existence.
It's a limit in which, according to current understanding of existence, nothing that has mass can accelerate too, and that all mass-less particles travel at, and that the speed of information is restricted to.

Existence is limited in several ways, of which that is just one.

Things exist. Existence is simply the state of being.
But existence as it is currently understood has properties, and those properties have various finite limits.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
It's a limit in which, according to current understanding of existence, nothing that has mass can accelerate too, and that all mass-less particles travel at, and that the speed of information is restricted to.

Existence is limited in several ways, of which that is just one.
Could I instead substitute for the blue part "according to current understanding of physics"?

But existence as it is currently understood has properties, and those properties have various finite limits.
Existence cannot have properties, because properties exist.

ex·ist·ence

   /ɪgˈzɪs
thinsp.png
təns/ Show Spelled[ig-zis-tuh
thinsp.png
ns] Show IPA
–noun 1. the state or fact of existing; being.

2. continuance in being or life; life: a struggle for existence.

3. mode of existing: They were working for a better existence.

4. all that exists: Existence shows a universal order.

5. something that exists; entity; being.

is this a definition?
you gave an application of the term, a proverb, a different function of the word and things that exist.

this is one of the saddest attempts of a definition that ive seen.

Definition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Could I instead substitute for the blue part "according to current understanding of physics"?

existence is a term created by us humans, if we humans cannot ecplain what this term means (defining it) than the term is useless and has no application.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, but the field of physics is a description of how existence operates and what its properties are.

We seem to be using the definition differently.

I'm using the definition to describe "all that exists" (as a broader term than "the universe", since we don't know whether the universe is all that exists). You seem to be using it to mean the state of something that exists. Both are valid definitions, (as evidenced by sniper's copy/paste of the definition) and can lead to some confusions.

Existence, described as all that exists, or "what is", has finite limits according to observation and measurement.

micr, can you do one better?

wiki is better than a dictionary.

In common usage, existence is the world we are aware of through our senses, and that persists independently without them. In academic philosophy the word has a more specialized meaning, being contrasted with essence, which specifies different forms of existence as well as different identity conditions for objects and properties. Philosophers investigate questions such as "What exists?" "How do we know?" "To what extent are the senses a reliable guide to existence?" "What is the meaning, if any, of assertions of the existence of categories, ideas, and abstractions?"

I should also ad:
Materialism holds that the only thing that exists is matter, that all things are composed of material, and all phenomena (including consciousness) are the result of material interactions. In other words, matter is the only substance. Supernaturalism, on the other hand, holds that other things exist (or may exist) in addition.

its not a perfect definition (one can philosophicly arue if its possible to perfectly design something) but i can atleast call it a definition

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
We seem to be using the definition differently.
No doubt. :)

I'm using the definition to describe "all that exists" (as a broader term than "the universe", since we don't know whether the universe is all that exists). You seem to be using it to mean the state of something that exists. Both are valid definitions, (as evidenced by sniper's copy/paste of the definition) and can lead to some confusions.

Existence, described as all that exists, or "what is", has finite limits according to observation and measurement.
I understand that you're using the word that way. It's just that others obviously aren't. That "existence is infinite" is our first clue. To see the way in which "existence is infinite," the first step is trying to see it from the other's point of view.