• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which text from the Christian Bible uniquely proves that Jesus is Almighty God?

jimb

Premium Member
Wouldn't you agree Jesus does not talk about this subject a lot?

But shouldn't we value when Jesus says anything that sounds important? And when Jesus does not bother to explain a doctrine, wouldn't this be at the bottom of our list of essential messages from Jesus?
You're putting something that the Lord Jesus Christ, Savior, "at the bottom of our list of essential messages from Jesus?" Everything that Jesus Christ says is important; it is wrong to rank them.

How much space is devoted to Jesus' discussion of a subject is no measure of its importance.

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
It is obvious that some people cannot understand the concept of the Trinity.

They probably don’t even want to develop a sincere understanding of it.

Therefore, they come up with all kinds of bizarre arguments why the Trinity doesn't exist.

From what I’ve observed, some people tend to take certain words in the Bible very literally (like ‘one means singular’) rather than attempting to reconcile passages with each other. What they are doing is rather simplistic. Moreover, they approach the Bible with the mindset that if something is not written in it very clearly and using specific terminology in one brief passage, then it must not actually be in the Bible. The problem with that approach is that it hinders the reader from seeing what all is really there in the Bible.

jimb

Premium Member
Why I asked is, Jesus states to his Father, You are the only true God, excluding himself.

Honestly Shouldn't Jesus words guide both of us to believe the only true God is the Father?
When Jesus was (temporarily) a human, He was the perfect example of how humans should view God (the Father). Jesus gave up His divinity for a time to personally deliver God's truths to humanity and, of course, to offer Himself as the perfect and final sacrifice for sin.

Before Jesus came to Earth and after He returned to heaven, He was, is, and always will be God. His human status was temporary.

There is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. ("is" is singular, i.e., one God)

walt

Jesus is King & Mighty God Isa.9:6-7; Lk.1:32-33
You're putting something that the Lord Jesus Christ, Savior, "at the bottom of our list of essential messages from Jesus?" Everything that Jesus Christ says is important; it is wrong to rank them.

How much space is devoted to Jesus' discussion of a subject is no measure of its importance.
If we listen to most every word from Jesus, He puts his Father in first place, most every time, and Jesus puts himself in last place.

Jesus is my leader, I follow Jesus lead! :) Jesus words guide me in so many ways.

jimb

Premium Member
They probably don’t even want to develop a sincere understanding of it.

From what I’ve observed, some people tend to take certain words in the Bible very literally (like ‘one means singular’) rather than attempting to reconcile passages with each other. What they are doing is rather simplistic. Moreover, they approach the Bible with the mindset that if something is not written in it very clearly and using specific terminology in one brief passage, then it must not actually be in the Bible. The problem with that approach is that it hinders the reader from seeing what all is really there in the Bible.
Great post! Thanks for writing it! Your words are clearly those of wisdom! :innocent:

jimb

Premium Member
If we listen to most every word from Jesus, He puts his Father in first place, most every time, and Jesus puts himself in last place.

Jesus is my leader, I follow Jesus lead! :) Jesus words guide me in so many ways.
Walt, what is happening? There is no first place and last place in God. God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit are all co-equal parts of the one God.

Jesus is your leader? You claim that Jesus puts his Father in first place, but you don't??? If Jesus is, as you claim, in last place, why do you follow Him instead of whom He put in first place (God the Father)???

walt

When Jesus was (temporarily) a human, He was the perfect example of how humans should view God (the Father). Jesus gave up His divinity for a time to personally deliver God's truths to humanity and, of course, to offer Himself as the perfect and final sacrifice for sin.

Before Jesus came to Earth and after He returned to heaven, He was, is, and always will be God. His human status was temporary.

There is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. ("is" is singular, i.e., one God)
I respect every word in your explanation, but I use Jesus words as my foundation, Jesus explains to me every detail I need to understand.

If you can explain what you just did, with Jesus words alone I would believe it. I am sorry but myself, If Jesus doesn't explain it that way, I can't believe it.

walt

Walt, what is happening? There is no first place and last place in God. God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit are all co-equal parts of the one God.

Jesus is your leader? You claim that Jesus puts his Father in first place, but you don't??? If Jesus is, as you claim, in last place, why do you follow Him instead of whom He put in first place (God the Father)???
I am sorry I think I understand the point you are making.

For me if Jesus does not explain it that way, I just can't believe that!

Bring to me Jesus saying three are one God, equal to each other and eternal? I can't go with words Jesus never spoke. How easy would it be for Jesus to explain that one sentence? Very easy, He just never does!

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
1) The majority of texts support the doctrine of unity.

2) The interpretation of John 14:16, 20, 30 is partially as taught by Basil the Great and Saint Augustine, namely, if the relationship is permanent, it proves the doctrine of the Trinity; if it is functional missiological, it proves only the doctrine of unity.

3) The Catholic churches explicitly declare that the doctrine of the Trinity is a dogma developed philosophically in Trinitarian formulas like 2 Corinthians 13:13 {Catechism of the Catholic Church drafted after the Second Vatican Council & 249.}

4) The verses, almost all very ambiguous, that lead one to think that Jesus is "theos" (John 20:28; Rom 9:5; Phil 2:6) may only be saying that Jesus is a christological Elohim akin to (Exodus 21:6; 1 Samuel 2:25), since the Greek term "theos" God/god is interchangeable with the Hebrew term elohim in the Hebrew Bible and Septuagint.

Almighty God seems a bit overreaching if you want to know my honest answer. Elohim seems an adequate term to define I'm guessing most everyone. I mean, I'm fairly certain the bible suggests that we are all Elohim and children of the "most high"...not necessarily God almighty. Although, God almighty may be just as appropriately utilized as most high. I get a little frustrated at some of these descriptors...I must admit. I imagine God to be the sum total of all things and everything else to be part of that sum total, so in this respect we are God's children and also elohim. We're just not God almighty nor do I think Jesus was God almighty. As a matter of fact, I think he was just like the rest of us. Except he maybe lived it better than the rest of us. I myself have a bugger of time living rightly. I try, though.

No Yoda impersonations, please.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Jesus became a human being for a time, and prayed to God, as should all humans should. No human would pray to himself (or herself) unless they were crazy.
So when Jesus was on earth, you say he was God-in-the-flesh, right?

YoursTrue

It is really sad that your understanding is so limited! Why would any person pray to himself? When Jesus was fully human He prayed to God and taught His disciples: "So pray this way: Our Father in heaven, may your name be honored" Matthew 6:9

He was not God when He was fully human. Before He became human, He was God in heaven, and after He was resurrected, He returned to being God in heaven.
Going by your reasoning here that means there were two godpersons left because Jesus was no longer one of the three godpersons when he was on the earth.

jimb

Premium Member
I respect every word in your explanation, but I use Jesus words as my foundation, Jesus explains to me every detail I need to understand.

If you can explain what you just did, with Jesus words alone I would believe it. I am sorry but myself, If Jesus doesn't explain it that way, I can't believe it.
I don't understand what you're asking.

Why I asked is, Jesus states to his Father, You are the only true God, excluding himself.

Honestly Shouldn't Jesus words guide both of us to believe the only true God is the Father?
Jesus was a human when He was on earth!!!

Read this carefully: Jesus replied [to Mary Magdalene], “Do not touch me, for I have not yet ascended to my Father. Go to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” John 20:17

So, Jesus is saying to Mary Magdalene that God is her father! And He is also saying that His disciples are His brothers, and that their Father is God!!!

Frankly, Walt, I thought that you understood the Bible better than this. Jesus is God!!! If you believe His words, then you are believing God's words (unless you believe that Jesus is not God!!!)

Here are some verses to contemplate...

"I am telling you the things I have seen while with the Father; as for you, practice the things you have heard from the Father!” John 8:38 So clearly, Jesus was with the Father prior to coming to Earth.

"Jesus replied, “Have I been with you for so long, and you have not known me, Philip? The person who has seen me has seen the Father! How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?" John 14:9

Jesus the Son and God the Father are both fully God (as is the Holy Spirit). How can you say that you follow Jesus' words, implying that what God the Father said is unimportant.

Finally, please read this very carefully! "So Jesus answered them, “I tell you the solemn truth, the Son can do nothing on his own initiative, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, the Son does likewise." John 5:19

JESUS WAS ENTIRELY DEPENDENT ON GOD THE FATHER FOR EVERYTHING THAT HE SAID AND DID.

walt

Jesus words is My foundation, My rock, My truth and Jesus words lead me in all directions. :) Jesus is my everything! Jesus Says: I do nothing on my own. Jesus says many times the Father has sent me, and I am doing his work, all authority and power has been given to me, The Father has life within himself and the Father has granted me to have life within myself, I do nothing of my own initiative, I do not my will but the will of the Father.

If anyone takes into account all Jesus words can anyone ever think Jesus was trying to explain He is the Almighty?

jimb

Premium Member
So when Jesus was on earth, you say he was God-in-the-flesh, right?
No. Jesus was fully human when He was on Earth, but He had the pure essence of God within Him. (Not an easy concept to understand!)

What do you think happens to people when they are "born again", i.e., born of the Spirit?

walt

I don't understand what you're asking.

Jesus was a human when He was on earth!!!

Read this carefully: Jesus replied [to Mary Magdalene], “Do not touch me, for I have not yet ascended to my Father. Go to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” John 20:17

So, Jesus is saying to Mary Magdalene that God is her father! And He is also saying that His disciples are His brothers, and that their Father is God!!!

Frankly, Walt, I thought that you understood the Bible better than this. Jesus is God!!! If you believe His words, then you are believing God's words (unless you believe that Jesus is not God!!!)

Here are some verses to contemplate...

"I am telling you the things I have seen while with the Father; as for you, practice the things you have heard from the Father!” John 8:38 So clearly, Jesus was with the Father prior to coming to Earth.

"Jesus replied, “Have I been with you for so long, and you have not known me, Philip? The person who has seen me has seen the Father! How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?" John 14:9

Jesus the Son and God the Father are both fully God (as is the Holy Spirit). How can you say that you follow Jesus' words, implying that what God the Father said is unimportant.

Finally, please read this very carefully! "So Jesus answered them, “I tell you the solemn truth, the Son can do nothing on his own initiative, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, the Son does likewise." John 5:19

JESUS WAS ENTIRELY DEPENDENT ON GOD THE FATHER FOR EVERYTHING THAT HE SAID AND DID.
How does the words you just said prove Jesus is the Almighty? Do you get your explanation from Jesus words or the words of an Apostle?

jimb

Premium Member
Jesus words is My foundation, My rock, My truth and Jesus words lead me in all directions. :) Jesus is my everything! Jesus Says: I do nothing on my own. Jesus says many times the Father has sent me, and I am doing his work, all authority and power has been given to me, The Father has life within himself and the Father has granted me to have life within myself, I do nothing of my own initiative, I do not my will but the will of the Father.

If anyone takes into account all Jesus words can anyone ever think Jesus was trying to explain He is the Almighty?
Jesus words are God's words!!! John 5:19, "So Jesus answered them, “I tell you the solemn truth, the Son can do nothing on his own initiative, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, the Son does likewise." Isn't that plain enough for you? Jesus cannot utter a single syllable on His own!

Or in your words, "So Jesus answered them, “I tell you the solemn truth, the Son can do nothing on his own initiative, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, the Son does likewise." Jesus couldn't speak one word on His own!

YoursTrue

Jesus words are God's words!!! John 5:19, "So Jesus answered them, “I tell you the solemn truth, the Son can do nothing on his own initiative, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, the Son does likewise." Isn't that plain enough for you? Jesus cannot utter a single syllable on His own!

Or in your words, "So Jesus answered them, “I tell you the solemn truth, the Son can do nothing on his own initiative, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, the Son does likewise." Jesus couldn't speak one word on His own!
Somehow he left out the holy spirit persongod.

walt

Thanks for the conversation, sorry we can't agree on much. :)

jimb

Premium Member
How does the words you just said prove Jesus is the Almighty? Do you get your explanation from Jesus words or the words of an Apostle?
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. What are you asking when you write "Do you get your explanation from Jesus words or the words of an Apostle"? Are you actually saying that the only true words in the entire Bible are Jesus' words, and that the rest of God's Word is false?

2 Timothy 3:16, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" If you accept only Jesus' words, then you are discarding most of the Bible!!!