• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who here believes in "Scientism"?

RestlessSoul

Isn’t this my point, though? If journalism is conducted within a framework of rational skepticism that acknowledges both the fallibility of the journalist, fallibilities in the institution of journalism itself, and active steps are taken to mitigate that fallibility to the greatest possible extent, isn’t that being scientific? Doesn’t a good journalistic news outlet give indications as to the degree of confidence that is held in the information being presented as well as making clear distinctions between what constitutes fact and what constitutes opinion? Isn’t it the adherence to principles and standard in the journalistic process that gives us confidence in the work product, such that it can be viewed as “evidence” on par with that of “science”? If so, then what can be considered evidence from journalistic efforts can not be considered as a source of evidence “outside of science”.

My argument is that ‘science’ is the philosophy of old, seeking valid knowledge of the world, just conducted within a framework that acknowledges human flaws and fallibilities and takes active steps to mitigate them. That is all that science is. How that is accomplished just gets into the details of all the many ways Homo sapiens can get things wrong and go astray in their pursuit of valid knowledge.

Let’s look at your history example. You say:

“Examining records, documents, ancient sales receipts, and written accounts kind of count as evidence don't they? But they are hardly scientifically rigorous observations?”

I think academic historians would be quite offended by your assertion that their efforts are in no way rigorous. I would ask, how is the task of the historian trying to develop a body of valid knowledge about ancient Sumer in the fifth millennium BCE any less challenging than a biologist trying to gain valid knowledge about how life began on Earth? Both endeavors are faced with a paucity of hard evidence. Really, it might be argued that the historian has a lot more to work with than the biologist in their effort to create a valid body of knowledge regarding their subject. If the historian conducts their efforts within a framework that acknowledges flaws and fallibilities inherent in historians and in the academic discipline of History, and active steps are taken to mitigate the inherent flaws and fallibilities, can that not be seen as a knowledge pursuit conducted scientifically?

Science isn’t specific means and methods or the subject in question. Means and methods are dependent and specific to the question at hand. Science, in my view, simply means that the required means and methods necessary to address the specific question at hand, whatever the question, will be done within a framework that mitigates the inherent fallibility of the investigator. That is it in a nutshell.

This is an extremely broad definition of science, and one that takes no account of the hotly debated principles of demarcation, developed in the 20th century by the likes of Karl Popper, Imre Lakatos etc

Demarcation problem - Wikipedia

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
When you say the most prevalent belief in metaphysical Naturalism you are doing so from a western perspective but that i not the only perspective that is valid. In other societies the view of nature includes the gods, spirits and other beings and there is no supernatural. This is still a metaphysical Naturalism which includes things that to date cannot be studied by our scientific method. So within this metaphysics there are differences in what is accepted as reality that include most indigenous religions, pagan religions, atheists who are spiritual and atheists who limit reality to only what can be revealed by science. So, what word or phrase would you use for this last group?
No. I do not distinguish between religions and belief systems East, West or otherwise who believe in beings and spiritual worlds beyond the physical. Simply by definition of Methodological Naturalism cannot study, test nor falsify hypothesis beyond the objective verifiable evidence, When doing science today scientists do not consider anything beyond the physical. Methodological Naturalism is often described as agnostic

Careful how you use Metaphysical Naturalism. The above is a bit confusing. Metaphysical Naturalism is not Metaphysics, Actually on may use simply Naturalism to describe Metaphysical Naturalism.

Metaphysical naturalism (also called ontological naturalism, philosophical naturalism and antisupernaturalism) is a philosophical worldview which holds that there is nothing but natural elements, principles, and relations of the kind studied by the natural sciences. Methodological naturalism is a philosophical basis for science, for which metaphysical naturalism provides only one possible ontological foundation. Broadly, the corresponding theological perspective is religious naturalism or spiritual naturalism. More specifically, metaphysical naturalism rejects the supernatural concepts and explanations that are part of many religions.

First atheists being spiritual needs further explanation and examples of atheists believing in the spiritual beyond the physical. Being spiritual does not necessarily include beliefs in beings and spiritual worlds beyond the physical world.

Zen Buddhists do not believe in Gods, but do believe in spiritual beings that relate to living humans. They would not be considered atheists.

Naturalists (believe in Metaphysical Naturalism) do not use scientism to describe their worldview.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Isn’t this my point, though? If journalism is conducted within a framework of rational skepticism that acknowledges both the fallibility of the journalist, fallibilities in the institution of journalism itself, and active steps are taken to mitigate that fallibility to the greatest possible extent, isn’t that being scientific? Doesn’t a good journalistic news outlet give indications as to the degree of confidence that is held in the information being presented as well as making clear distinctions between what constitutes fact and what constitutes opinion? Isn’t it the adherence to principles and standard in the journalistic process that gives us confidence in the work product, such that it can be viewed as “evidence” on par with that of “science”? If so, then what can be considered evidence from journalistic efforts can not be considered as a source of evidence “outside of science”.

My argument is that ‘science’ is the philosophy of old, seeking valid knowledge of the world, just conducted within a framework that acknowledges human flaws and fallibilities and takes active steps to mitigate them. That is all that science is. How that is accomplished just gets into the details of all the many ways Homo sapiens can get things wrong and go astray in their pursuit of valid knowledge.

Let’s look at your history example. You say:

“Examining records, documents, ancient sales receipts, and written accounts kind of count as evidence don't they? But they are hardly scientifically rigorous observations?”

I think academic historians would be quite offended by your assertion that their efforts are in no way rigorous. I would ask, how is the task of the historian trying to develop a body of valid knowledge about ancient Sumer in the fifth millennium BCE any less challenging than a biologist trying to gain valid knowledge about how life began on Earth? Both endeavors are faced with a paucity of hard evidence. Really, it might be argued that the historian has a lot more to work with than the biologist in their effort to create a valid body of knowledge regarding their subject. If the historian conducts their efforts within a framework that acknowledges flaws and fallibilities inherent in historians and in the academic discipline of History, and active steps are taken to mitigate the inherent flaws and fallibilities, can that not be seen as a knowledge pursuit conducted scientifically?

Science isn’t specific means and methods or the subject in question. Means and methods are dependent and specific to the question at hand. Science, in my view, simply means that the required means and methods necessary to address the specific question at hand, whatever the question, will be done within a framework that mitigates the inherent fallibility of the investigator. That is it in a nutshell.
The standards of academic history shares a lot of the principles with Methodological Naturalism. One significant principle is being neutral to metaphysical claims, and beliefs. When describing religions, supernatural and miraculous academic history simply describes these beliefs as is in history and today, and not in terms of they are factual, true or not.

Academic history is increasing the use of science to objectively verify historical physical evidence such as the increasing use of genetics, scientific dating methods of historical events and persons. Academic history does use a comparative method of different sources that cannot always be verified scientifically like comparative religious texts to determine their historical accuracy and content.

The problem academic history faces today is that much of their independent academic work is in conflict with the beliefs of ancient religions. This does cause a great deal of conflict between ancient religions and academic history. Some historians and archaeologists who have strong religious beliefs tend interpret some historical and archaeological evidence to justify their beliefs.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
And by the scientism crowd, specifically.

Science does not explain the physical with confidence or with anything else. It can only explain some of the physical mechanisms so that we can manipulate them with confidence. It’s both weird and sad that this fact just cannot enter into the worldview of the philosophical materialists.

Art communicates the truth as we humans experience it. It does not give us “answers”.
Art does not communicate truth. You are misusing the term. Art represents a subjective expression of artists that may or my not be liked or agreed by fallible human observers.
That‘s a problem for you because you apparently think truth requires consistency.
No, truth is an independent subjective claim of what may be considered by some as absolutely true. It is a fact that the many diverse claims of truth are inconsistent and conflicting.
That we should not each be experiencing it in our own way. But that is the failure of scientism, and of philosophical materialism. It’s a failure of vision In favor of control.

Another paranoid view of science. Too many noids. Scientism in the way you use it is a subjective name calling, because you exentiallonly selectively accept science based on yout=r personal world view you call truth.

Rather, if you want to use knowledge as a means of control.
This represents a paranoid view of science as science.
I don’t need to. They can all be true. Not understanding this is the failure I was referring to.
Yes you do you are making truth claims you cannot objectively support. Again . . .

Without consistency and predictability by what criteria do you determine which of the many conflicting religions or belief systems is the true one?
It is what it is whether you like it or object to it or not.
What I "like" is not the issue. This is meaningless.
I have no logical reason to accept or reject it. It’s an observed physical mechanism that we only partially understand. This does not require my acceptance Nor will it change because I reject it.
logical reason?!?! None the less you reject it based on your ancient religious world view with a nebulous claim of truth.
Incomplete response and dodges the question I presented. It is not partially understood,and your rejection of the sciences of evolution reflects your bias against science, and your selective accred use of 'scientism

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I've no idea why you quoted me, what you wrote has absolutely nothing to do with anything I said. You couldn't have misunderstood more.
Actually you have a history of rejecting science based on a subjective philosophical/religious belief. The above also reflects your history.
I don't "misuse" the term, but as you seem unable to comprehend the discussion you jumped and, from past experience, you tend to prefer to double down on your errors and misunderstandings rather than correct them there is little point in explaining.

No double down on errors, just simply factual history your rejection based on your agenda, Again you have a history here.

@PureX and you have a history of accusation of "Scientism" when you selectively only accept science that agrees with your biased agenda.

Last edited:
Actually you have a history of rejecting science based on a subjective philosophical/religious belief. The above also reflects your history.

It reflects your immature delusions and stunning inability to comprehend simple English despite you being a native speaker.

It’s rather embarrassing tbh.

No double down on errors, just simply factual history your reject based o your agenda, Again you have a history here.

@PureX and you have a history of accusation of "Scientism" when you selectively only accept science that agrees with your biased agenda.

Nope, yet again you are incapable of discussing simple topics so you resort to your fantastical delusions where you have made an actual argument rather than just embarrassing yourself again.

At least in your own mind you said something insightful, bless.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It reflects your immature delusions and stunning inability to comprehend simple English despite you being a native speaker.

It’s rather embarrassing tbh.
Failure to respond. Actually you have a history of rejecting science based on a subjective philosophical/religious belief. The above also reflects your history.
Nope, yet again you are incapable of discussing simple topics so you resort to your fantastical delusions where you have made an actual argument rather than just embarrassing yourself again.

At least in your own mind you said something insightful, bless.

Name calling fails to justify your selective rejection of of science based on a subjective philosophical.theorlogical belief, Failure to respond.

As with @PureX still waiting for an objective defence of your beliefs, and your rational of the accusation of "Scientism.".

MikeF

Premium Member
I’m happy to view science as a subset of philosophy. It is more natural philosophy 2.0 (give or take) though rather than philosophy 2.0.

Much of the rest of philosophy is still as it was as it can not be turned into science in any recognisable sense of the term (logic, ontology, ethics, epistemology, etc.)

The last time I checked, none of these disciplines: logic, ontology, ethics, epistemology, etc, can be done without human beings.

You have given me a small concession and seem to agree that there was a change in the way natural philosophy was conducted. A change that evolved throughout the scientific revolution to what it has become now. You don’t seem to want to concede what that change consisted of.

My thesis is that the change is essentially the acknowledgement of human fallibility and the need to mitigate that fallibility. That’s it. While this change was embraced wholeheartedly by natural philosophy after its evolution, this revolution and subsequent evolution did not spread to the remainder of philosophy. Why?

I’m more concerned with the accuracy, but it’s just you don’t seem to have any issues with accepting many areas of science are far less reliable than others. It’s a pretty straightforward argument after all.

*All* the factors that impact accuracy for study and investigation under a scientific framework are the exact same factors that will apply to *anyone* looking to study and investigate those questions or problems. The only difference will be that within a scientific framework, active effort will be made to mitigate human error in the investigative process.

I don’t have an issue with these limitations because there is no magically waving them away. What is critical is that these limitations are openly acknowledged and appropriate degrees of confidence are assigned to the work product that reflect that reduced accuracy. A scientific framework provides that.

Scope and accuracy are related though. The further away from the traditional, hard sciences we apply scientific methods the less reliable they become.

Scope and accuracy are not entirely independent variables.

This reflects a misconception on your part. Means and methods *vary* and are specifically designed to meet the requirements necessary to address the problem at hand in a manner that also mitigates human fallibility in addressing that specific problem to the best of our capabilities. The means and methods necessary to investigate the Krebs cycle involved in cellular respiration are not the same means and methods needed to study the behavior of macaques in their natural habitat, nor those necessary to investigate a recently discovered archaeological site.

Lack of accuracy is solely a reflection of the difficulties associated with the specific question. The larger the system and the greater the number of variables involved, the more difficult it will be to create accurate and predictive models. Limitations on our ability to gain perspective also impact accuracy. For example, we currently are unable to fly to distant galaxies and observe them as we can observe and investigate Earth, and given the distances involved, accuracy suffers accordingly. And last, as I have said earlier, human behavior adds another order of magnitude to the difficulty because human behavior is not fixed but dynamic. The properties and characteristics of atomic elements or that of gravity do not change. They are fixed. Which means your “hard” sciences really should be referred to as “easy” sciences as compared to studying human behavior, yes?

As to scope, except for personal preferences that have no material effect on others or result in self-harm, there is no limitation on when to apply mechanisms necessary to mitigate human error and fallibility whenever human beings are involved. Wouldn’t you agree?

Overall though, I focus on how science exists as a human activity and how it is used and misused in the real world. Too many people who object to the term scientism tend to talk about science in normative terms relating to how things should work.

How we use what we learn within a scientific framework is a political issue. It is a matter of negotiating subjective preference. Is there a reason to make these subjective political decisions outside our current fallibility mitigated scientific understanding of the world and ourselves, or to purposefully disregard it in our subjective decision making? If so, why?

I’d say here you misunderstand his arguments, in the same way you seem to misunderstand what certain people are arguing in this thread.

1, 2 and 5 may involve charlatanism, but are really just about the prestige of science in the modern world and a tendency to want to make things more “scientific”. This is often done with very serious, scholarly and well meaning intentions.

You are worried about people presenting opinion and subjectivity as objective fact, but science is a far greater source of this than formal philosophy these days.

I’d say that, in a not insignificant number of cases, the social sciences are impacted by the personal beliefs of the researchers.

Without corroborated studies I can’t speak to how significant the problem of personal belief being injected into social sciences is, but I certainly am aware of it anecdotally. I am happy to concede that the problem exists, yet voila, we *see* and *acknowledge* the problem, and now steps can and have been taken to mitigate that problem, correct? That is how the process works. That is the whole point of working within a scientific framework. For example, psychology has come a long way since Sigmund Freud, in my opinion. Is it perfect or error free? No, of course not, as no human endeavor is. But as with all knowledge pursuits conducted within a scientific framework of error mitigation, we see continuous incremental improvement.

I will not concede that misrepresenting subjectivity is more prevalent in science than philosophy nor that philosophy even addresses the issue as is the case with science. I would be interested to see if a reliable study was done on the subject. Be that as it may, the first issue would be that much of what is left to philosophy these days falls to the study of purely analytic abstract systems with no requirement to remain synthetic to the real world, or those fields that consist primarily of subjective preference such as Aesthetics, and Morals/Ethics which are rampant with personal belief yet are not acknowledged to be so. Theology represents additional problems, but let’s not go there.

What is left to philosophy? The philosophy of metaphysics? How is that not rife with personal beliefs outside of a scientific framework? Philosophy of the mind and consciousness? Ditto.

Case in point.

Many people think a scientific approach to ethics would be an improvement (and usually think it would support their ethical values).

Science can play a role in identifying people’s preferences and the best way to achieve these, but this relates as much to policy as it does to ethics.

Science cannot tell you which of many competing values are superior though. For example, should we be utilitarians? If we are, where do we draw the line between greater good and individual rights?

So I can’t in any way see this as representing “scientific ethics”, and by adding the label to give greater credibility, it muddies the water between subjective preference and objective fact. Many would accept moral philosophy has many subjective variables after all.

We can see the problems of 'scientific' ethics in the past, where things like social Darwinism and Marxism had ethical principles believed to be scientific and thus objective truths.

“Scientific” ethics can be a way to turbocharge error.

These would also be examples of scientism where scientific principles were applied beyond their effective boundaries. We would call these pseudoscience nowadays, but that is not how they were always seen at the time (Although scientism as a pejorative was basically invented to critique Marxist pretensions of objectivity and rigour when creating their social and historical theories). Social Darwinism and eugenics were widely accepted within the respectable scientific community though.

Unsurprisingly, scientific ethics are not inherently humanistic or positive, they simply reflect the values of those who are creating them with a veneer of scientistic objectivity.

The problems you describe are nothing more than blatant expressions of human fallibility. Whether it is human beings attempting to bolster arguments advocating for their subjective preference by inappropriately portraying those subjective preferences as objectively scientific conclusions, or they bolster their arguments by claiming they comport with “objective” religious authority, or they bolster their arguments by simply assuming a set of universal axiomatic principles (know a priori or through intuition) that provide the “logical” foundation for them to be seen as objectively true, in each case it is fallible human beings being fallible.

What discipline, what philosophical framework actively works to mitigate this very problem and does so successfully?

The -ism matters as it is something humans do that needs a label so we can try to avoid it.

Because of the status of science in the modern world, and the fact that labelling things 'scientific' functions in a manner similar to labelling them 'objectively true' we need to understand that people often overestimate the accuracy of scientific knowledge in many fields.

And we need to accept the limited utility of science in fields where it is not reliable, and that in complex domains (lets say economics), trying to force reality into a form that can be quantified 'scientifically' often misses out or distorts reality in. a manner that can render the information actively harmful (plenty examples of "scientific" theories leading to errors and even financial crises often because they make people overconfident in their accuracy.

This has essentially been addressed above, but I want to address the last part below separately.

Sometimes non-scientifc insights, expertise, experiences, heuristics and so forth are the best we have, but when people think "more scientific = better" we increase the chances of error.

I find this astonishing. Are there never any negative consequences to “non-scientific insights, expertise, experiences, and heuristics? Is it your argument perhaps, that we should go back to relying on expertise and advice of the village shaman, soothsayers, and augers?

What is the metric that informs us that “non-scientific insights, etc” are “the best we have”?

What I am seeing here is a means by which one subjective preference can be justified as correct, appropriate, or superior to any other subjective preference by assigning a subjective mantle of authority to the “non-scientific source” corroborating the subjective preference. In other words, a framework of unmitigated human fallibility.

Failure to respond. Actually you have a history of rejecting science based on a subjective philosophical/religious belief. The above also reflects your history.

Quote me ever doing that if you can, if not it’s just your childish delusions and inability to comprehend simple English (again).
Failure to respond.

See above. Seeing as you will not be able to quote me doing that, we’ll just accept you are a childish blowhard who spouts nonsense.

It’s a bit odd for someone who is in their 70s or 80s to be so juvenile, but their’s nowt as queer as folk :rolleyes:

MikeF

Premium Member
This is an extremely broad definition of science, and one that takes no account of the hotly debated principles of demarcation, developed in the 20th century by the likes of Karl Popper, Imre Lakatos etc

Demarcation problem - Wikipedia

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps you would like to elaborate as to how my thesis fails to address demarcation in any way. If I had a clear understanding of what you see as problems, I could either attempt to adequately address them or concede to your analysis.

PureX

Veteran Member
Art does not communicate truth. You are misusing the term. Art represents a subjective expression of artists that may or my not be liked or agreed by fallible human observers.
What they are capturing, expressing, and sharing, is the truth as they are experiencing it in the moment of their creative act. And in doing so, they expand our own experience of it.
No, truth is an independent subjective claim of what may be considered by some as absolutely true. It is a fact that the many diverse claims of truth are inconsistent and conflicting.
You are confusing ideas about the truth with the actual truth of what is. These are not the same things, and they do not accord with the same logical demands.
This represents a paranoid view of science as science.
It's not paranoid to view science as science. Nor is it paranoid to view science as being a limited methodology.
Without consistency and predictability by what criteria do you determine which of the many conflicting religions or belief systems is the true one?
They all are.

The truth is neither consistent nor predictable. Nor is it non-paradoxical. In fact, the closer we get to understanding it as a whole the more paradoxical and unpredictable it becomes. So I see no logical reason for you to be insisting that truth must meet these criteria of yours except that you want it to.
None the less you reject it based on your ancient religious world view with a nebulous claim of truth.
I'm a little old but I'm not religious. :)

vulcanlogician

I think academic historians would be quite offended by your assertion that their efforts are in no way rigorous.

Woah. Woah. Woah.

I never said historians' work was in no way rigorous. It is very rigorous.

But it is different in nature to the purely empirical mode that science insists upon. There is a lot of hard work, archaeology, and debate that goes in to formulating a historical hypothesis and then supporting it. But historical conclusions are a bit softer than scientific ones. I have mad respect for historians. But there is a reason it is categorized as one of the "humanities" (the same as philosophy) rather than regarded as a science. There is a lot of conjecture involved (and historians admit as much, as do philosophers).

This puts them in a sphere of study that gathers genuine knowledge and facts about the past that is noticeably distinct from purely empirical disciplines. As such, proponents of "scientism" would be prone to reject historical knowledge because, a proponent of science thinks we can only get knowledge from the sciences... of which history is not. My use of the example of history was not to bash historians. Not in the slightest. History is one of my favorite academic disciplines. I think it *is* a reliable (but unavoidably vague) way to understand the world.

You know I love philosophy. I think philosophy is also unavoidably vague -- except in those cases where it works with pure logical deduction. Obviously I think philosophy is a worthwhile discipline that can and does lead us to genuine knowledge sometimes. But that doesn't make it scientific.

And if there are disciplines that aren't scientifically rigorous (meaning empirical from top to bottom)... if these disciplines can at least sometimes deliver to us valid facts about anything, that counts as a strike against scientism, doesn't it?

You have given me a small concession and seem to agree that there was a change in the way natural philosophy was conducted. A change that evolved throughout the scientific revolution to what it has become now. You don’t seem to want to concede what that change consisted of.

I'm more than happy to note what happened. It was two-fold, an acceptance of the limits to human reason and the adoption of an experimental methodology to mitigate this:

The experimental approach is justified primarily by appeals to the weakness of our sensory and cognitive capacities. For many seventeenth-century English thinkers these weaknesses were understood as consequences of the Fall. Boyle and Locke, for their part, also place stress on the incapacities that necessarily attend the kind of beings that we are. But in both cases, the more important issue is the nature of human capacities rather than the nature of the Deity. And if the idea of a fall away from an originally perfect knowledge begins to decline in importance towards the end of the seventeenth century, it nonetheless played a crucial role by drawing attention to the question of the capacities of human nature in the present world...

One of the first texts that [Francis] Bacon would have had to contend with was the ‘Organon’, a collection of Aristotle’s writings on logic. All undergraduates were expected to become familiar with its contents, and until well into the seventeenth century university statutes prescribed monetary penalties for those guilty of transgressions against Aristotle’s logic.

Bacon’s early resistance to the Aristotelianism he encountered at university and his later ambition to establish new foundations for learning are both evident in the title of what is probably his best known philosophical work: Novum organum – (The New Organon, 1620). At this point it should be unnecessary to labour the fact that Bacon has a conception of natural philosophy as an enterprise devoted to a recovery of Adamic knowledge of nature and dominion over it.

Each of the two sections of the Novum Organum concludes with an injunction to recover the dominion over nature that was lost as a consequence of the Fall. As for the impediments to this recovery, Bacon saw in the long-standing tradition of Aristotelian logic an implicit recognition of the fact that ‘the human intellect left to its own course is not to be trusted’. But Bacon was convinced that the purveyors of logic had systematically misidentified the nature of mental errors and the means by which they were to be corrected. The champions of the old Organon ‘have given the first place to Logic, supposing that the surest helps to the sciences were to be found in that’. In Bacon’s judgement, ‘the remedy is altogether too weak for the disease’. The impotence of logic in the face of the human propensity for error could be attributed to two factors. First, the logicians had simply underestimated the extent of the problem they were seeking to rectify.154 ‘The root cause of nearly all evils in the sciences’, Bacon wrote, is that ‘we falsely admire and extol the powers of the human mind.’ As a consequence, ‘we neglect to seek for its true helps’.155 Second, not realising that error stems from multiple failures of the human mind, they had prescribed a single generic remedy.156

In order to arrive at a true interpretation of nature, Bacon insists, we need to begin with an understanding of human faculties and their limitations. In the Novum Organum, then, Bacon identifies the senses, memory, and reason as the faculties involved in knowledge, and seeks specific ‘ministrations’ or ‘helps’ to heal their inherent infirmities.157 These infirmities, which for Bacon ‘have their foundation in human nature itself’, are referred to as ‘the idols of the tribe’, the first category of four ‘idols of the mind’ to which Bacon attributes the errors of human knowledge.158 For Bacon, the deficiencies of the senses provide the first occasion for error: ‘By far the greatest hindrance and aberration of the human understanding pro- ceeds from the dullness, incompetency, and deceptions of the senses.’159The senses, which are ‘infirm and erring’, fail us in two ways. Sometimes they provide no information; sometimes they provide false information...

Bacon believed that a better ‘help’ for the senses was experimentation: ‘For the subtlety of experiments is far greater than that of the sense itself, even when assisted by exquisite instruments.’" Peter Harrison - The Fall of Man and the foundations of modern science

My thesis is that the change is essentially the acknowledgement of human fallibility and the need to mitigate that fallibility. That’s it. While this change was embraced wholeheartedly by natural philosophy after its evolution, this revolution and subsequent evolution did not spread to the remainder of philosophy. Why?

Because they are not things that can be tested using experimentation. By only focusing on the first of the 2 changes, you seem to assume they must have been motivated by their belief they were infallible

I can't design an experiment to decide if virtue ethics are superior to utilitarianism though. There is no experiment that can tell me what knowledge is and on what grounds it is justified, or that can demarcate science from not science. I can use reason, accept my weaknesses and try to mitigate them while trying to answer these questions, but I can't create an experimental methodology to prove my hypothesis.

So i's not simply that philosophers refused to accept the limitations of human reason, most people today in any field would accept their views are not unquestionably objective fact and that they do take at least some steps to mitigate error. The idea that the rest of philosophy is made up entirely of folk demanding people see their ideas as objective fact and that they want to shield their fiefdom from pesky scientists who will hold them to account seems like a problem that exists more in your imagination than the real world.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
What they are capturing, expressing, and sharing, is the truth as they are experiencing it in the moment of their creative act. And in doing so, they expand our own experience of it.

You are confusing ideas about the truth with the actual truth of what is. These are not the same things, and they do not accord with the same logical demands.
I have asked for your justification of truth and all you can come up with is "logical demands?". You have not defined your view of what Truth actually is. Airball big time.

It's not paranoid to view science as science. Nor is it paranoid to view science as being a limited methodology.

You are using paranoid language in your past. What are you referring to as "control."
"Rather, if you want to use knowledge as a means of control."

You still need to respond to the following: What is your view of 'truth' and how do you justify your 'truth.'

Quote me ever doing that if you can, if not it’s just your childish delusions and inability to comprehend simple English (again).

See above. Seeing as you will not be able to quote me doing that, we’ll just accept you are a childish blowhard who spouts nonsense.

It’s a bit odd for someone who is in their 70s or 80s to be so juvenile, but their’s nowt as queer as folk :rolleyes:
Rants are not a coherent response, see post #908.

Bacon is kind of old and moldy as far as today's science goes.

They all are.

The truth is neither consistent nor predictable. Nor is it non-paradoxical. In fact, the closer we get to understanding it as a whole the more paradoxical and unpredictable it becomes. So I see no logical reason for you to be insisting that truth must meet these criteria of yours except that you want it to.
Huh?!?!?! If truth is as you state above it is paradoxical, inconsistent and unpredictable.
I'm a little old but I'm not religious. :)

You are expressing strong religious views as usual. the above is an Oxymoron big time.

I find this astonishing. Are there never any negative consequences to “non-scientific insights, expertise, experiences, and heuristics? Is it your argument perhaps, that we should go back to relying on expertise and advice of the village shaman, soothsayers, and augers?

What is the metric that informs us that “non-scientific insights, etc” are “the best we have”?

What I am seeing here is a means by which one subjective preference can be justified as correct, appropriate, or superior to any other subjective preference by assigning a subjective mantle of authority to the “non-scientific source” corroborating the subjective preference. In other words, a framework of unmitigated human fallibility.

No idea where you get the idea about soothsayers from, it seems very far from what I said. If there are no meaningful non-scientific insights that can be made on anything, it's a wonder we survived until the scientific revolution without actually knowing anything other than what the shaman told us ;)

What I said (minor edits for clarity):

And we need to accept [there are fields of science] where it is not [very] reliable, and that in complex domains (lets say economics) trying to force reality into a form that can be quantified 'scientifically' often misses out or distorts [aspects of] reality in a manner that can render the information actively harmful (plenty examples of "scientific" theories leading to errors and even financial crises often because they make people overconfident in their accuracy).

Is there any of that you disagree with? If you want an example: Long-Term Capital Management - Wikipedia

My conclusion to the above, therefore:

Sometimes non-scientific insights, expertise, experiences, heuristics and so forth are [imperfect, but may be] the best we have [in certain specific circumstances], but when people think "more scientific [must always] = better" we increase the chances of error.

An example of what I mean by non-scientific insights:

Who would you put your money on in a sales competition, the best salesperson in a given industry or a leading academic expert on persuasion science?

The salesperson will be using experience, heuristics, intuition, etc. perhaps combined with some scientific insights, and they will be better than the scientist.

So if we can accept that non-scientific insights exist, and that many decisions we need to make don't have nice, accurate scientifically prescribed courses of action to follow, sometimes generic human expertise based on a range of non-scientific insights, expertise, experiences, heuristics and so forth is the best we have.

That is the consequence of living in an opaque world we only party understand and can only minimally control.

It is not coherent to make up silly stories about what other posters do without being able to back them up with actual evidence.

So unless you are going to directly and specifically quote me doing what you claim I do (so I can explain what you have misunderstood and why you are wrong), we can all accept that you made it up or hallucinated it, in which case you should probably not keep making the same fallacious claims.

Put up or shut up.

RestlessSoul

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps you would like to elaborate as to how my thesis fails to address demarcation in any way. If I had a clear understanding of what you see as problems, I could either attempt to adequately address them or concede to your analysis.

With no clear demarcation between natural science, social science, and pseudoscience, proponents of astrology, creation science, the paranormal, Marxist theory of history, etc would be able to declare themselves scientists without challenge, and thus acquire for their own disciplines some of the status afforded to science in the modern world. An example of how problematic this can be, came when in 1969 the American Association for the Advancement of Science accepted the Parapsychology Association as an associate member. Members of the scientific community were understandably unhappy with that decision.

To this end, Karl Popper, Thomas Kuhn, Imre Lakatos and Paul Thagard each devised a set of necessary conditions for genuine science. In particular, Popper’s concept of falsification has come to be regarded as something of a gold standard of demarcation, not least anomg working scientists themselves.

The empirical method alone is not enough to distinguish science from pseudoscience, as Popper observed when pointing out that “The [empirical] method may be exemplified by astrology, with it’s stupendous mass of empirical evidence based on observation - horoscopes, biographies, cosmological charts etc.” Somewhat more controversially, Popper was of the opinion that Marxist historical theory, psychoanalysis, and individual psychology ought not to claim scientific status for themselves, as theories developed in those disciplines were not falsifiable, in sharp contrast to the physical theories of Newton, Einstein etc.

“One can sum all this up by saying that the criterion of the scientific status of a theory is it’s falsifiability, or refutability, or testability.”
- Popper, Conjectures and Refutations 1963

To clarify, my point was that your exceptionally broad definition of what constitutes science, takes no account of a century of academic study and debate concerning exactly this issue of demarcation.

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
So if we can accept that non-scientific insights exist, and that many decisions we need to make don't have nice, accurate scientifically prescribed courses of action to follow, sometimes generic human expertise based on a range of non-scientific insights, expertise, experiences, heuristics and so forth is the best we have.

That is the consequence of living in an opaque world we only party understand and can only minimally control.

Sorry, I tried fitting your post into a beaker and measuring its acidity in my lab, but it turned out to be too salty. I must now disagree with it based on Science (TM).

PureX

Veteran Member
I have asked for your justification of truth and all you can come up with is "logical demands?". You have not defined your view of what Truth actually is. Airball big time.
The truth is what is. And this is self-evident. Untruth is what is not, which by definition does not exist. And so is irrelevant.

The problem is that 'what is' is far greater in scope and complexity than we humans can comprehend. So for us, the truth will appear to be always changing, always relative, and profoundly paradoxical. After all, it's happening in every way and direction we look, and can be perceived in as many ways as we are capable of perceiving it.

So the singular objective truth that you and others here covet is simply not the truth that we humans can experience, except by self-deception (delusion). You keep asking me for what none of us can have.
You are using paranoid language in your past. What are you referring to as "control."
"Rather, if you want to use knowledge as a means of control."
Everyone wants to use their knowledge as a means of controlling their own fate. This isn't paranoia, it's just a fact of cognitive existence. It's why so many people are elevating science to the level that used to be reserved for the gods. Science is good at gaining this kind of manipulative knowledge. But manipulative knowledge is not truth. And if we try and insist that it is, we're going to walk a very dangerous path.
You still need to respond to the following: What is your view of 'truth' and how do you justify your 'truth.'

Bacon is kind of old and moldy as far as today's science goes.

Huh?!?!?! If truth is as you state above it is paradoxical, inconsistent and unpredictable.
And so it is; via our limited human experiential perspective.
You are expressing strong religious views as usual. the above is an Oxymoron big time.
I haven't posted a thing about religion except that it is a viable alternative method of seeking truth. Along with philosophy and art.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The truth is what is. And this is self-evident. Untruth is what is not, which by definition does not exist. And so is irrelevant.
Very relevant. Your response is equivalent to the "sky is Carolina blue because the sky is Carolina blue."

You still have not responded to your vague speculative references to what is truth from the opinion of your perspective, Nebulous statements as "the truth is what it is" is meaningless.

Still waiting . . .
The problem is that 'what is' is far greater in scope and complexity than we humans can comprehend. So for us, the truth will appear to be always changing, always relative, and profoundly paradoxical. After all, it's happening in every way and direction we look, and can be perceived in as many ways as we are capable of perceiving it.
Very wordy and says not relevant to anything of substance.
So the singular objective truth that you and others here covet is simply not the truth that we humans can experience, except by self-deception (delusion). You keep asking me for what none of us can have.
There is no such thing as 'the singular objective truth' as far as science is concerned,
Everyone wants to use their knowledge as a means of controlling their own fate. This isn't paranoia, it's just a fact of cognitive existence. It's why so many people are elevating science to the level that used to be reserved for the gods. Science is good at gaining this kind of manipulative knowledge. But manipulative knowledge is not truth. And if we try and insist that it is, we're going to walk a very dangerous path.
You continue your paranoid diatribe without substance, paranoid claims of 'manipulative knowledge' and 'a dangerous path,'
And so it is; via our limited human experiential perspective.

I haven't posted a thing about religion except that it is a viable alternative method of seeking truth. Along with philosophy and art.
Yes you have in this thread and in your history here on RF expressing "strong religious beliefs"

Your rejection of the sciences of evolution is a classic religious agenda. Outside the fundamentalist Christian and Islamic beliefs no on rejects the sciences of evolution.

IF it quacks like a duck, has feathers like a duck, webbed feet and walks like a duck. a duck is a duck

Last edited: