• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who here is enlightened?

atanu

Premium Member
And I think that it is in Srimad Bhagavatam where it says that your family are like a pack of jackals ! Or maybe that was just Prabhupad's commentary :D

The family may seem so, of course, with or without Prabhupada.:D

I do not remeber Gita saying anything of this sort, however.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear penumbra ,

happy new year :namaste

Yes I'm generally talking about "big guns" here.

what you imply is what I had assumed ,

however "big guns" they are not , they are fully realised beings , generaly the most simple and humble beings on earth .

more like they are no guns :)

who if asked would I very much doubt ever claim to be fully enlightened .

If Warren Buffett (listed as 2008 as the richest man in the world, still in the top 5) hypothetically gave all his money away and was broke, but he accurately described to me his full story and proposed that he give me some investing lessons, I'll listen. Because he became a billionaire investor and in this scenario, he gave it all away, which doesn't affect the fact that he accumulated it through a particular skill in the first place. In other words, he became rich through a specific method and is thus qualified to teach that method.
"if" you were talking to , ....... but you are not ,

you are asking people here whom are no more than words upon a page , we none of us know in truth who the other is or what their true acheivements are , so , .... in my humblest opinion , ... we need to listen very carefully to what each is saying ,
and to judge each on the merits of their speach , this way we will benifit much by learning , by the use of our own discriminationg wisdom .

what however will be benifited by asking me directly .....are you identifying as enlightened ?

I may be a deluded fool and reply yes ....,

I may play with you , ....
then you will want to hear some proof ! .....and I will send you climbing up a gum tree
but still you will have to use some descriminating wisdom , because you will want to know if the proof stands up !

If, on the other hand, someone merely reads a book about Warren Buffett and begins teaching people about how to become rich like Warren Buffett, then their words should be taken in a different context. They may know a thing or two, but they didn't actually do it.
So when these two different people are describing it, it's useful to know who actually did it and who didn't.
I understand your analogy ,
but here you are talking about material accheivements , in which case there is something material by which to judge ,

Another way of putting it, with a real example, is that I've trained under a few martial arts instructors. Two of them were capable of fighting at the professional level, and the others were not. The others taught me the same basic moves as the professionals, and it would be subtle to tell the difference. In fact, the video clip that Luis posted earlier from the movie Goodwill Hunting would be applicable here; you have to be pretty good at the content to even tell the difference between the two pros and the others. And yet, under the pros, I improved three times as quickly. It was the difference between night and day. The magic is in the details.
here you are talking about physical acheivements through physical and mental training , in which case there are also atainments to be judged .

Plus, this thread is more focused on learning about people than it is focus on learning about enlightenment.
I beg your pardon , I foolishly followed this thread, out of interest as to how different people would describe not only their experience but also what was to be said of enlightenment it self .

I also followed it because it said .......
(Serious question.)
Does anyone on this forum claim to be enlightened? If so, please post here so we can talk. I'd like to see who here claims to have reached enlightenment.
any sane being might admit to areas of , or partial enlightenment , but to profess full enlightenment ? .......... you have got to be kidding !

to be fair in the early stages a few knowing persons commented that an enlightened person was hardly likely to openly say so of them selves !

The reason I ask is, many people talk about what enlightenment is, how to get there, what it's like, that it is a true concept, etc.
these people are talking of the concept as read and understood through partial experience , and comenting on that which feel they can identify with .

when what is read and taught confers with ones experience , one verifies the other , but still we are talking about partial enlightenment ,

So if you consider yourself enlightened, I invite you to post here. Perhaps you could start by explaining what enlightenment is to you, how you achieved it, how you know you achieved it, and what it is like.
I can explain areas of partial enlightenment as might many , but I am not going to " Identify as ......"

in ways even were I to describe an element of enlightened or realised being it would not be understood by any other than one with the same experience .

however it can be more fully explained by telling you what it is not , .....that way a being may be led to his own realisation by process of ilimination ,

this we tend to do naturaly by hitting our heads in a brick wall untill we realise for our selves that this is not the solution , however this may take countless lifetimes ! some one guiding you simply shortens the process , but if one is constantly looking for proof and wont examine advice without it , that explains the amount of fraudsters and delusional monsters there are out there at this moment !

apophenia

The family may seem so, of course, with or without Prabhupada.:D

I do not remeber Gita saying anything of this sort, however.

Quote -
"And I think that it is in Srimad Bhagavatam where it says that your family are like a pack of jackals ! "

skinker

Your understanding of buddhist theory and practice is totally flawed.

I told you all defending the seeking of personal enlightenment that it isn't the particulars of the Buddhist or Hindu religious paths of which I am fully aware there are probably thousands of variants; it is the basic neurology of a human brain that is deliberately deprived through meditative technique instead of drugs of a major normal brain function in order to achieve "higher" consciousness, one that avoid psychic pain.

You are making outrageous generalisations based on nothing but your wrong preconceptions. I am right here, talking to you on these forums, with decades of background in meditation and a wealth of experience of direct communication with teachers of various traditions, so are you going to say that I am not a reliable source of information because I am 'prejudiced' ? That is pretty water-tight aversion and avoidance you have going on if that is the case.

But where are you addressing the Fatal Flaw issue that is my point of my criticism of Buddhism and Eastern religions placing enlightenment as their primary goal? I mean, it's that the very basic basic idea behind Eastern religions that make them different from Near Eastern desert ones? I don't see Buddhism selling itself as another How to Be Normal and win friends and influence people kind of self-help boutique trendie idea. It's got it's historic calling cards such as putting in long hours of meditation to achieve a specific state of mind, such as forgoing attachments, and btw, I'm not buying for a second that supposed disclaimer in Buddhist doctrine you cite wherein experiencing normal human emotions is OK.

The Buddhist emotional distancing of watching one's emotional states shows the basic brain manipulation at work to produce the egoless state of mind that can observe everything from a safe emotional distance--the goal as I say of avoiding psychic pain that comes from normal emotions, not ones allowed to play out but are still under control according to Buddhist principles of bringing one's mind under control by severe brain manipulation. The distant observer observing "normal" human emotional range doesn't match the unconscious person who is under the thrall of emotion and that's my point--only extreme brain manipulation can do this and it comes at a cost, I believe, of dulling the mind because the normal mix of brain stimulation and response is deliberately reduced to produce the brain manipulation. under neutral observation as if from a distant observer--the unattached ego, made that way through pretty severe brain manipulation.

And it's true, I haven't got enough posts in to be able to provide links to my website Where this is posted:

From a report on the Newberg and Aquili brain studies

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Andrew Newberg, a radiologist at the University of Pennsylvania, US, told BBC World Service's Discovery programme: "I think we are poised at a wonderful time in our history to be able to explore religion and spirituality in a way which was never thought possible." Using a brain imaging technique, Newberg and his team studied a group of Tibetan Buddhist monks as they meditated for approximately one hour. When they reached a transcendental high, they were asked to pull a kite string to their right, releasing an injection of a radioactive tracer. By injecting a tiny amount of radioactive marker into the bloodstream of a deep meditator, the scientists soon saw how the dye moved to active parts of the brain.

Sense of space Later, once the subjects had finished meditating, the regions were imaged and the meditation state compared with the normal waking state. The scans provided remarkable clues about what goes on in the brain during meditation. "There was an increase in activity in the front part of the brain, the area that is activated when anyone focuses attention on a particular task," Dr Newberg explained. In addition, a notable decrease in activity in the back part of the brain, or parietal lobe, recognized as the area responsible for orientation, reinforced the general suggestion that meditation leads to a lack of spatial awareness. Dr Newberg explained: "During meditation, people have a loss of the sense of self and frequently experience a sense of no space and time and that was exactly what we saw.

The former area is responsible for attention, and shows the focusing of the mind, a common part of meditation and prayer. The later area is involved in helping you orient yourself in space, telling you which is up and which is down, forward, or behind, and also where you end and "not you" begins -- the mind's way of telling you the difference between you and everything else.

"What if the area [the area responsible for telling you you were separate from "not you"] was working as hard as ever," said scientist Newberg, but somehow the act of meditating had blocked its flow of sensory input? We were fascinated by this possibility."

Newberg and Aquili asked: "Would the orientation area interpret its failure to find the borderline between the self and the outside world to mean such a distinction doesn't exist? In that case the brain would have no choice but to perceive that the self is endless and intimately interwoven with everyone and everything the mind senses. And this perception would feel utterly and unquestionably real. "This is exactly how their subjects, and people involved in prayer and meditation over the centuries, have described their experiences."

[/FONT]

skinker

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] More indication of Buddhist brain manipulation

February 4, 2003
Finding Happiness: Cajole Your Brain to Lean to the Left
By DANIEL GOLEMAN

"Too many years ago, while I was still a psychology graduate student, I ran an experiment to assess how well meditation might work as an antidote to stress. My professors were skeptical, my measures were weak, and my subjects were mainly college sophomores. Not surprisingly, my results were inconclusive.
But today I feel vindicated.

To be sure, over the years there have been scores of studies that have looked at meditation, some suggesting its powers to alleviate the adverse effects of stress. But only last month did what I see as a definitive study confirm my once-shaky hypothesis, by revealing the brain mechanism that may account for meditation's singular ability to soothe.

The data has emerged as one of many experimental fruits of an unlikely research collaboration: the Dalai Lama, the Tibetan religious and political leader in exile, and some of top psychologists and neuroscientists from the United States. The scientists met with the Dalai Lama for five days in Dharamsala, India, in March 2000, to discuss how people might better control their destructive emotions.

One of my personal heroes in this rapprochement between modern science and ancient wisdom is Dr. Richard Davidson, director of the Laboratory for Affective Neuroscience at the University of Wisconsin. Dr. Davidson, in recent research using functional M.R.I. and advanced EEG analysis, has identified an index for the brain's set point for moods.

The functional M.R.I. images reveal that when people are emotionally distressed — anxious, angry, depressed — the most active sites in the brain are circuitry converging on the amygdala, part of the brain's emotional centers, and the right prefrontal cortex, a brain region important for the hypervigilance typical of people under stress.

By contrast, when people are in positive moods — upbeat, enthusiastic and energized — those sites are quiet, with the heightened activity in the left prefrontal cortex.

Indeed, Dr. Davidson has discovered what he believes is a quick way to index a person's typical mood range, by reading the baseline levels of activity in these right and left prefrontal areas. That ratio predicts daily moods with surprising accuracy. The more the ratio tilts to the right, the more unhappy or distressed a person tends to be, while the more activity to the left, the more happy and enthusiastic.

By taking readings on hundreds of people, Dr. Davidson has established a bell curve distribution, with most people in the middle, having a mix of good and bad moods. Those relatively few people who are farthest to the right are most likely to have a clinical depression or anxiety disorder over the course of their lives. For those lucky few farthest to the left, troubling moods are rare and recovery from them is rapid.

This may explain other kinds of data suggesting a biologically determined set point for our emotional range. One finding, for instance, shows that both for people lucky enough to win a lottery and those unlucky souls who become paraplegic from an accident, by a year or so after the events their daily moods are about the same as before the momentous occurrences, indicating that the emotional set point changes little, if at all.

By chance, Dr. Davidson had the opportunity to test the left-right ratio on a senior Tibetan lama, who turned out to have the most extreme value to the left of the 175 people measured to that point.

Dr. Davidson reported that remarkable finding during the meeting between the Dalai Lama and the scientists in India. But the finding, while intriguing, raised more questions than it answered.

Was it just a quirk, or a trait common among those who become monks? Or was there something about the training of lamas — the Tibetan Buddhist equivalent of a priest or spiritual teacher — that might nudge a set point into the range for perpetual happiness? And if so, the Dalai Lama wondered, can it be taken out of the religious context to be shared for the benefit of all?

A tentative answer to that last question has come from a study that Dr. Davidson did in collaboration with Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn, founder of the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Clinic at the University of Massachusetts Medical School in Worcester."

[/FONT] Where did you get the idea that budhhists aim to remain in 'the void' ?

I didn't get it. Where'd you get the idea I did? I was using "Void" as the fairly well-known attribute placed on the Buddhist concept that in a "Western" theist (wrong stereotype but again, well-known) eyes is shorthand for a pointless, meaningless existence for the self and no soul to carry on beyond physical annihilation. The point of life is to experience it but not be attached to it. Yes, it is deliberate generalization but that's covered by my deliberate narrowing of the subject of Buddhist to its Fatal Flaw: brain manipulation creating a false view of reality: the interior void left by the non-functioning sense of self-center is projected outward: it's a metaphor and nothing more.

What the hell is 'the void' ? Where, and how, does Gautama recommend that people enter this 'void' ?

See above.

Can you provide any teachings from Gautama which support your position ?

See above.

Do you actually have any basis for your view ?

See above.

In fact, please tell me where you obtained your 'education' about buddhism.

Sea of love.

I'm guessing maybe a cursory glance at some Wikipedia articles, and conversations with people who claim some knowledge of buddhism but have not actually studied with teachers and practiced accordingly, and rumors and uninformed opinions propagated by other 'only way' christians. Oh yeah ... and some 'brain research' (unspecified).

See above.

I suggested that you check out the validity of your misconstrued view with a lama, and you ridicule the idea ! Clearly, you have a vested interest in not discovering that your view of buddhism is woefully wrong, both in theory and practice.

??? You are fabricating. How is this buddhism ?

You have never seriously read the teachings of buddha have you ? Have you ever talked to anyone practicing Dzogchen or Mahamudra with a teacher ? Or a zenji ?

Are you aware that of all the recorded teachings of Gautama, there are only a few pages which even mention meditation ? Do you have any idea what the rest of it talks about ?

What is the basis of your idea that the aim of buddhism is to " get control of the brain and shut down the sense of self " ?

Is that because you went no further than hearing chinese whispers which began as the mistranslation of anatta as 'no self' ?

Do you know what tantra is, and if so, how do you reconcile it with this notion of 'a single brain state' ?

And importantly - what "brain research findings " ?

Since you say these 'findings' are the entire basis of your opinions, perhaps you might like to explain what these brain research findings are - who conducted them, what was their methodology, what conclusions did they reach ?

A reference or link would be good ...[/quote]

See above for all your answers: it's not about Buddhist philosophy itself--it's about Buddhism's Fatal Flaw: philosophy derived from a heavily manipulated brain state promoting a heavily manipulated brain state.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Skinker, so far as I'm aware, your interpretation of Newberg and Aquili's experiments does not jive in some important respects with Newberg and Aquili's own interpretation of their experiments. At least, that would seem to be the case if I'm understanding you correctly. If I recall, Newberg and Aquili do not arrive at the conclusion that mystical states are "just" or "merely" about brain states and have no bearing on external reality, or correspondence to it. Instead, they hold that conclusion is logically unwarranted.

maxfreakout

This is relevant to the discussion and I'll probably comment on it in a separate post, but it's worth pointing out to all thread participants that there must be caution about rule 6. Talking about substances that can provide certain experiences is acceptable, but specifically discussing involvement in or promoting any illegal activities including illegal substances can result in a rule 6 violation and I'd prefer that no thread participants end up with such a violation in a thread due to my question.

The key is how things are phrased, basically.

I dont want to compete with drug-war censorship, it isnt the substances that are important anyway; the really important thing is the mind-manifesting altered state of consciousness, and in particular the experience of ego death and transcendent rebirth which people commonly report in the altered state.

So you're currently enlightened?

Yes, IF this is what you mean by 'enlightenment'. I have undergone the process of transcendent/mystical mental model reconfiguration, if that is 'enlightenment', then i am enlightened. My mental model takes into account a higher level of reality beyond the manifest world, because of an experience of higher reality in an altered state of consciousness. If that is what it means to "be enlightened", then i must be enlightened.

When your ego died and was reborn, what would you say is the achievement after that? In what way was the latter ego different from the former ego?

it isnt something i 'achieved' rather it is something that *happened to me*, i was transformed/reconfigured/reprogrammed by something which seemed to be entirely out of my control.

The way you organise your question into 'former ego vs latter ego' captures the essence of the process, i used to think one way (former ego), then my thinking was drastically and profoundly disrupted by a shattering divine revelation which permanently changed my way of thinking, such that i now think in a new way (latter/transcendent ego)

The former ego modelled itself as a self-sustaining existent, whereas the latter ego acknowledges its absolute dependance on a higher reality. It was revealed to me that i am absolutely dependent on God for my very existence, at every moment. The former ego tacitly (ie unconsciously) assumed that the manifest physical universe is the ultimate basis of reality (i was an unconscious materialist); the latter ego models the manifest physical universe as a mere shadow, or lower-dimensional projection of an all-encompassing higher reality. Plato's cave analogy reflects this dynamic.

When you say you experienced cosmic unity and are currently united with god, what specific characteristics does this imply? Are you currently united with me? Or are we separate?

I am united with you in the sense that both you and i are separate parts of a higher, overarching process (the evolution of consciousness) which entirely subsumes both of us and everything else. I ordinarily experience myself as an independent controller (= ego), but in the divine revelation i see behind the illusion of ego.

It's all about levels, there are 2 fundamental levels, the personal and the transpersonal. At the personal level, you and i are separate; at the transpersonal level, you and i are united.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maxfreakout it is reasonable how you have described enlightenment. I think I can say my experience is similar.

The question I see repeated on this thread by Penumbra is "are we united?". I think it means does enlightenment include being able to see into another person? Or... does enlightenment include insight into others.

It might, but what blocks the way between you and me is nature's tendency to fear, lie and be superior. At least three things that I am aware of is a wall between people. The three things are not always generated by the un-enlightened one, but more commonly so.

There are people whose minds can read others. I do not know if that power means the person is enlightened. It is my opinion it means they are intelligent.

There is a difference (I am supposing) between enlightenment and intelligent comprehension.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Maxfreakout it is reasonable how you have described enlightenment. I think I can say my experience is similar.

The question I see repeated on this thread by Penumbra is "are we united?". I think it means does enlightenment include being able to see into another person? Or... does enlightenment include insight into others.

It might, but what blocks the way between you and me is nature's tendency to fear, lie and be superior. At least three things that I am aware of is a wall between people. The three things are not always generated by the un-enlightened one, but more commonly so.

There are people whose minds can read others. I do not know if that power means the person is enlightened. It is my opinion it means they are intelligent.

There is a difference (I am supposing) between enlightenment and intelligent comprehension.
What are the three things?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Let's say the purpose of enlightenment is to know ones place. To know the difference between what is needed and what it desired. To realize that other people have their own unique needs and desires. A true friend is one who seeks to know his neighbor's real needs and even desires to fill them. It is pretty much impossible without enlightenment imo.

InChrist

Free4ever
So, what does "enlightenment" mean to you?

To me enlightenment means knowing Jesus Christ and living in His light.

I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness. John 12:46

For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Corinthians 4:6

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
To me enlightenment means knowing Jesus Christ and living in His light.

I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness. John 12:46

For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Corinthians 4:6

Thanks for the clarification.