• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who here is enlightened?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Makyo can develop from clinging to anything, imo. As Jesus said, "keep on searching..." (Or keep going deeper into Terra Incognita) Once you stop searching and rest on your laurels, you run the risk of building a conceptual nest for makyo. (My two favorite reminders--Samsara is Nibbana, and Nibbana is beyond concepts.)

What you say makes sense.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
But then, of course, there's always the danger of becoming attached to the unknowingness and building a nest for makyo there. :p

I think that is why so many people only have one experience of enlightenment, as we've been calling it. They become attached to it, thus preventing further experiences.

apophenia

I read a lot, and understand well much of what I read.

I may fairly deem myself as "more enlightened" that those that do not, or might otherwise exist within their own self-imposed seclusion and isolation from "enlightening" ideas, concepts, or compelling evidences that may challenge entrenched beliefs, dogma, or faith-based claims...

Select a specified topic, and perhaps we may then debate the contestable merits of any presnted premise as an exampled and "enlightened" perspective, beyond promotion of just some ideological meme/testimonial/manifesto....

Fair enough?

I wrote a few posts back that there are at least two general takes on 'enlightenment' (both valid IMO, but often which one is meant is not defined).

You interpret the word in the sense of socially valuable moral wisdom, or something like that.

Others mean a condition of being which resolves the self-other dichotomy and the ambivalence and cognitive dissonance attendant to that.

Still others mean a total extinguishing of ego (if that is possible).

There are probably other takes on it too.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think for some people, "enlightenment" is a body of knowledge that can be learned. Or perhaps more precisely, "enlightenment", to them, is learning a certain body of knowledge.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I think for some people, "enlightenment" is a body of knowledge that can be learned. Or perhaps more precisely, "enlightenment", to them, is learning a certain body of knowledge.
A "certain body of knowledge" is a "nest," no?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
A "certain body of knowledge" is a "nest," no?

Not necessarily, but it certainly can be. At least as I understand it.

EDIT: I think I may have subtly misunderstood your question. I took you to mean any "body of knowledge", whereas you perhaps meant only a body of knowledge that is understood to be obtained through enlightenment. If so, then I agree with you.

Last edited:

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
I just want to clarify for the sake of this thread- I have shared the most amazingly epic and profoundly life changing experience of my life with you because I felt it may be of interest to at least a couple of you, and because I like Penumbra.

Beyond that, I do not claim to be anything. My life in general to date is largely a testimony of what not to do- at least on the surface as regards larger practical matters and their fall out. The really good stuff about me is mostly hidden from public view. mostly. I can't imagine why anyone would want to "follow in the ways of my life", and I certainly wouldn't assist them in doing so. Quite the opposite really.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I can't imagine why anyone would want to "follow in the ways of my life", and I certainly wouldn't assist them in doing so. Quite the opposite really.

Damn! And here I was thinking I could get into your pants by "wanting to follow in the ways of your life". Well, you really screwed up that plan. What am I to do now?:sad4:

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
Damn! And here I was thinking I could get into your pants by "wanting to follow in the ways of your life". Well, you really screwed up that plan. What am I to do now?:sad4:

Well Sunstone, we all/each have our own pants for a reason. Reach down inside for your own... answers*. yes. This is my enlightened answer and I stand by it (unless I'm tired and I happen to be laying down).

*cookies.

Last edited:

skinker

Zen calls this state of error
Makyo

Interesting but still confirming my negative opinion of Buddhist philosophy that glorifies a single brain state as being superior over the normal range of human brain activity including emotional attachments. It makes zero sense to me to aim for a single brain state when dealing with complex reality takes as many differing brain states of consciousness as can be effective to the situations encountered in normal human community life. The physical symptoms of the brain's sense of self center being disabled are apparent in the difficulty of maintaining a "walking" "enlightenment" state of mind. That's why one sees the 1000's of sitting, lying down, sleepy eyed Buddha statues, again idolizing a single brain state. To me spending so much time in meditation using various chants and drone sounds can only dull the mind eventually and one see's in nations where Buddhism is the dominate religion, a cultural and technological backwardness. Japan, always militaristicly organized to win and copying Western technology, the exception to the rule. But even here one sees how Buddhists can mesmerize themselves into false beliefs and actions following them, e.g. the Zen Samarai employed by feudal warlords.

skinker

Well, what can I say? I'm prejudiced in favor of my Christian path and wouldn't be on it if I thought there was any other valid way to spiritual truth.

Last edited by a moderator: