• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are White People the ones who get called racists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
My big problem is that the contestants just don't seem that hot.
Most of'm seem to be the beauty version of low-potential-high-achievers.
No argument there...

Now hot-science babes... that is where it's at. If you can rock a full class A/B bio-hazard suit and safety glasses, you can rock anything.

Plus, how does "I play mediocre flute" compete with "I can help cure disease" or "I study fundamental forces of the universe".

wa:do

Dezzie

It is childish... but it's also instinctual... and that is why it needs to be honestly discussed.

Racism is an extremely complex issue. Simply saying "grow up" can't fix it.

If it was sincerely instinctual, wouldn't I be racist?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
If it was sincerely instinctual, wouldn't I be racist?
Are you so sure you're not? Like the Avenue Q song goes: "everyone is a little racist"
[youtube]RovF1zsDoeM[/youtube]
YouTube - AVENUE Q - 'Everybody's a Little Racist,' Broadway Cast

and yes, studies done with infants show that low level racism is instinctive, we are evolutionarily programed to subconsciously prefer like over un-like.
Not all racism is oppressive or hateful either. It's a very complex suite of behaviors and cultural concepts/messages.

Wannabe Yogi

Looking at this gal, is sure doesn't seem a "whites only" club anymore. Wiki says 8 black gals have won it since '84.

Let me try to use an analogy to help me express my view on race in America.

If I abuse a group of children very badly for 10 years. Then stop abusing them and 20 years later. When most of these children grow up and have problems. I can't turn around and say "whats the big deal that happened 20 years ago". The fact is that the abuse will affect most of those kids for the rest of their lives. Not only that but it will influence the way they raise their children so it will be an issue in their lives as well.

Now lets look at America as a whole. For over a 100 years we abused blacks and native Americans. (Abuse is a mild word for murder and torture.) It has been inculturated into the fabric of the society as a whole. It will not go away because we elect one black president or 8 hot young black women become Miss America.

This view that all you have to do is stop the abuse and there is no long term effects of the abuse goes against all knowledge of human behavior that we have accumulated over the years.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Let me try to use an analogy to help me express my view on race in America.

If I abuse a group of children very badly for 10 years. Then stop abusing them and 20 years later. When most of these children grow up and have problems. I can't turn around and say "whats the big deal that happened 20 years ago". The fact is that the abuse will affect most of those kids for the rest of their lives. Not only that but it will influence the way they raise their children so it will be an issue in their lives as well.

Now lets look at America as a whole. For over a 100 years we abused blacks and native Americans. (Abuse is a mild word for murder and torture.) It has been inculturated into the fabric of the society as a whole. It will not go away because we elect one black president or 8 hot young black women become Miss America.

This view that all you have to do is stop the abuse and there is no long term effects of the abuse goes against all knowledge of human behavior that we have accumulated over the years.
It would be a good analogy were it not for the fact that it doesn't reflect my thoughts on the matter.

Wannabe Yogi

It would be a good analogy were it not for the fact that it doesn't reflect my thoughts on the matter.

I enjoy posting to you because you have just about the opposite view that I have on 80% of all subjects and I have respect for you. Please don't take this as I am saying your a racist. :no:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I enjoy posting to you because you have just about the opposite view that I have on 80% of all subjects and I have respect for you. Please don't take this as I am saying your a racist. :no:
Worry not....I saw nothing offensive in your post. Thanx for the boost!
(Your opposing views are most enjoyable.)
But I am a racist, sexist, lookist, & generally prejudicial....tis something to be aware of & manage.

Last edited:
For people who may want to interpret this as me trying to show that it's okay to be racist or whatever, you're wrong. I do not support racism. I will not lie, I am very proud to be a White person. However, if I was of African Descent, Asian, or Hispanic, I'd be equally proud. You should be proud of your ancestry, but not to the point that you think yours is better than another's.
I just think that things shouldn't be applied to only minorities, or only majorities. If that makes sense :p
Racism is not a problem, it is a symptom. White's are proud to be White, Africans are proud to be African. Asians are proud to be Asian and so on. The opposite is also true. There are those who are ashamed to be White, African, Asian, ect. Let's not forget our "proud' or "shameful" self-definitions through politics and religion. Pride and shame are the problem. Until these are treated, the symptoms will never go away.

Wannabe Yogi

But I am a racist, sexist, lookist, & generally prejudicial....tis something to be aware of & manage.

Like it has been posted all the thread. I think most of us are prejudice it only becomes a large problem when we are unconscious of it and run with it.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
(Your opposing views are most enjoyable.)
The only way you can improve yourself is t realize you have things that need improvement. Or managed as the case may be.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am one of those "mixed race" types. I am half "white" and half Native American (Navajo). I know nothing about how to be a Navajo, though, as my father was the Indian and it was mom who raised me and dad was out of the picture (not a big part of my life).
I hate it when they ask me my race on those forms, I always put "other" or "mixed race". But I am not mixed. I am 100% American and 100% human. I always wonder the same thing "Why do they want to know?".
And MOST white people I have met are NOT racist. In fact, MOST people I have met are NOT racist. It is a small minority that are racist. (I used to live next door to some white Supremacists, too).
That is totally off topic, but I wanted to rant a bit.
Christine

It is tempting to complain about the lack of "color-blindness" when race is constantly being asked on questionnaires, the census, etc. But the fact is, the U.S. has a very troubled racial history and racial inequalities persist to this day. In order to overcome historical racism, we need to know the answer to questions such as "What percentage of non-whites today live below the poverty line?" While political correctness and racial questionnaires may seem hypocritical and annoying, the alternative is to go without any data and pretend no problems exist.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is tempting to complain about the lack of "color-blindness" when race is constantly being asked on questionnaires, the census, etc. But the fact is, the U.S. has a very troubled racial history and racial inequalities persist to this day. In order to overcome historical racism, we need to know the answer to questions such as "What percentage of non-whites today live below the poverty line?" While political correctness and racial questionnaires may seem hypocritical and annoying, the alternative is to go without any data and pretend no problems exist.
Another alternative is to refuse to give gov't the info, without pretending that problems are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.