• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why can't they all agree?

Beta

..... but God isn't supposed to be confusing.
I could also say that God changing everyones language during the Tower Of Babel incident made life extremely confusing. Whats more confusing than someone speaking jibberish at you? According to the Bible God did this, very confusing, act, but also doesn't do things that are confusing in that very, same Bible.
And God is not confusing - MAN IS !
Our religious knowledge is the biggest negative/drawback we can possibly have ....because it is built on a false premise , an assumption to be true. And yes - GOD has caused our confusion. (Not that God himself is confused for His Word says He is not). So let us go back to the Tower of Babel incident.(To learn anything we should always start at the beginning and human confusion started there !) WHY did God confuse man's language so they could not understand each other Gen.11 ? To curb human IMAGINATION ! To stop man building on human ,fallible,imperfect ideas (that would break and crumble in time) v3-8. Men were all set to reach heaven (eternity) by their own effort and imagination WITHOUT GOD. God knew this could never happen because He had ordained that no sinning Being would ever get into His Kingdom whichever way they tried Gen.3v24.
Today people still think that their own intellect will get them there, that God can be side-lined or they can fathom God by their own knowledge and understanding of scripture. All a waste of time and continual confusion - there is only one way and only God opens it.:bow:

Blackdog22

And God is not confusing - MAN IS !
Our religious knowledge is the biggest negative/drawback we can possibly have ....because it is built on a false premise , an assumption to be true. And yes - GOD has caused our confusion. (Not that God himself is confused for His Word says He is not). So let us go back to the Tower of Babel incident.(To learn anything we should always start at the beginning and human confusion started there !) WHY did God confuse man's language so they could not understand each other Gen.11 ? To curb human IMAGINATION ! To stop man building on human ,fallible,imperfect ideas (that would break and crumble in time) v3-8. Men were all set to reach heaven (eternity) by their own effort and imagination WITHOUT GOD. God knew this could never happen because He had ordained that no sinning Being would ever get into His Kingdom whichever way they tried Gen.3v24.
Today people still think that their own intellect will get them there, that God can be side-lined or they can fathom God by their own knowledge and understanding of scripture. All a waste of time and continual confusion - there is only one way and only God opens it.:bow:

So you admit God did intentionally confuse us, yet the Bible states that he wouldn't do that. Beta, your confusing.

So the story of Babel, it said in the story he stopped them from building the tower to Heaven so he stopped their language. Ummm, so God was scared that humans were gonna build a building to Heaven? Even though we know Heaven isn't above the clouds? Beta.......COME ON, this story is obviously a lie. Also, I don't know of anyone who thinks they are going to "smart" their way into Heaven, it is even remotely logical if you know anything about religion.

Anyways, my point of God designing man in a way that they would interpret things differently based on the structure of their minds still stands. The bible is confusing because God made us confusing and complex. God is the God of confusion according to reality.

drsatish

I was thinking back to one of the things that turned me off religion when I was becoming an atheist. That is the problem of the Holy Spirit. One of the biggest things I was taught was that God had sent his Holy Spirit and that is the way he works in us now as opposed to thunderstorms, plagues, floods, burning bushes, giant clouds, donkeys, booming voices, fiery chariots, etc.

So there is a lot riding on the Holy Spirit being true for a believer when God is suddenly quiet and this is his alternative to just talking to us. However, this Holy Spirit appears fairly flawed and this is one of the reasons why I lost my faith.

One reason why I can't trust the Holy Spirit is because anyone can claim it. The problem comes up when people you know and trust claim things in the holy spirit that are blatantly false. For example 2 pastors who both claim to have the holy spirit, but have contradicting messages. One may say money is what God wants and another may say it isn't, but they both have the holy spirit, of course.

Another instance is my stepmother who woke up from a dream and said the holy spirit had told her I was going to run away. It created a massive scene and it was in no way accurate, but she is still completely confident that she knows when the holy spirit is speaking to her, and she isn't unique. I have encountered so many contradictions that came from the holy spirit it is simply a joke at this point for me.

So why do you think the holy spirit contradicts itself? If most of these people don't have the holy spirit, but claim they do, then how do I know who has it and who doesn't? If only one person truly has the holy spirit then that means there are a lot of crazy people out there who think their own mind is a spirit.

Also, do you think this was a good alternative to God just talking to us?

Hi Blackdoggy!

You are neither Black ...nor...doggy!

Holy Spirit!
That is a METAPHOR!

The ONLY thing HOLY ...in the Essences of ALL RELIGIONS...is LOVE!

The ONLY Spirit...is WHEN you FILL your Heart with LOVE & UNIVERSALITY!

This will hold TRUE for ALL PAST RELIGIONS...& FUTURE RELIGIONS to COME!

Take Heart!
Become your Heart!
Make YOUR HEART ..YOUR RELIGION!

No need for temples, churches, mosques etc...

Satish

Wombat

Holy Spirit!
That is a METAPHOR!
The ONLY thing HOLY ...in the Essences of ALL RELIGIONS...is LOVE!
The ONLY Spirit...is WHEN you FILL your Heart with LOVE & UNIVERSALITY!
This will hold TRUE for ALL PAST RELIGIONS...& FUTURE RELIGIONS to COME!

The Golden Rule?
I'm >for< that!
Versions of the Golden Rule in 21 world religions

No need for temples, churches, mosques etc...

Hmmmm....I dunno...I will have difficulty abandoning my place of worship-
12apostles.jpg
;)