• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Christians accuse other religions of believing in false prophets?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
But according to you, it wasn't "the Cause of Christ" that was spread all over the world; it was a corrupted version... no?
"Jesus is God! And he is coming back to destroy the wicked! You are all dead in your sins, and only Jesus can save you!" And as we all know, sometimes they forced people to believe it.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I’m disappointed that you seem to be misconstruing everything I post. If that’s what you want to believe then that’s your right and no matter how much I tell you it’s untrue you will insist in having that mistrust and suspicion. I am a person who speaks from the heart not scripted or planned or using any sort of tactics. Actually on first reading your post I was shocked. As I said before, to me it’s all about ingrained prejudices which are no good in our world.
If the Baha'i Faith is the truth, and if you believe it is the truth, then you are told to go teach and tell others about this truth... That God has sent a new messenger with new teachings that will bring peace and unity to the world.

Why pretend you're not trying to show us this new truth from God and to try and convince us that is real, and that it's necessary for us to know it and believe it? If it's the truth... proclaim it, live it, and, most of all, prove it.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
No. Initially a religion is pure and untainted, but over centuries man made doctrines replace the original teachings and gradually the original religion recedes into the background and becomes more the religion of the clergy.
What was the "original", "pure", and "untainted" message of Christianity or of any religion? That is other than yours, the Baha'i Faith and, for Baha'is, maybe the Quran?

Some of us, at least I do, think that most all religions were man-made. But what's wrong with that? I could see how religious leaders could have made up their Gods and their stories of how their Gods created the world and how they rewarded and punished their people for obeying or disobeying. But, if there was an "original" message that was so "pure", why change it? Why corrupt it? Why destroy it, because that pure message is nowhere to be found.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Because religion, including Baha'i, is a very divisive and competitive business. As the Baha'i claim their own version of truth it means Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, and any other religious tradition MUST be wrong. Until there is an actual truth behind religion there will be no consistency or unity.
And the Baha'is say they are wrong. But that old "originally" thing. That nowhere to be found pure message was in complete agreement with the teachings of the other messengers. They complimented each other... so they say. But, because the messages don't complement each other and actually contradict each other, the Baha'is say that those doggone priests and religious leaders messed up the religion and added things in.

So, in the Baha'i mind, all the religions are one. If they can only get us to see it. And how are they trying to do that? To get us to put aside our preconceived notions and biases and prejudices and look at how the real "truth" about all the other religions are explained. Which, to me, is essentially saying, "Hey, all the old beliefs were okay, that is until they got corrupted. But, guess what, now we have a pure message from God. So, let's all get onboard and believe."

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This human phenomena is similar in American politics, where the Left will shout down Conservative speakers
Amazing. Is every thread an opportunity for you to proselytize for conservatism, whatever that thread's title and topic?
At its base, fanaticism is a compensation for doubt.
"Fanaticism is an extreme and often unquestioning enthusiasm, devotion, or zeal for something, such as a religion, political stance, or cause. It can also refer to behavior motivated by such enthusiasm or devotion."

F1fan

Veteran Member
What sort of "a god" would expect somebody to believe in something that makes no sense?

Each to their own.
Yup. Each individual imagination that crafts their god from what they hear other believers say. Look at all the different takes on god among Christians and Muslims. Religions plant the idea and believer fill in the gaps.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Yup. Each individual imagination that crafts their god from what they hear other believers say. Look at all the different takes on god among Christians and Muslims. Religions plant the idea and believer fill in the gaps.
That has nothing to do with religion "making sense".
You said that religion does not HAVE to make sense.
It does to me. I do not like illogical beliefs.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
"Jesus is God! And he is coming back to destroy the wicked! You are all dead in your sins, and only Jesus can save you!" And as we all know, sometimes they forced people to believe it.
I read at 1st Kings 8:27 that the heaven of heavens can Not contain God.
God resides in a high lofty place - Isaiah 57:15
God looks down from: heaven - Psalm 33:13-14
Anyone have any thoughts about 2nd Chronicles 6:18 __________________
So, how can God come back to a place he never was.

Plus, God had No beginning - Psalm 90:2
Whereas, pre-human heavenly Jesus was "in" in beginning, but Never 'before ' the beginning as his God was.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Because religion, including Baha'i, is a very divisive and competitive business. As the Baha'i claim their own version of truth it means Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, and any other religious tradition MUST be wrong. Until there is an actual truth behind religion there will be no consistency or unity.
No. That is not correct. What Baha’is believe is that the original teachings of all religions are true but not the man made doctrines and interpretations added afterwards. So Jesus law of love one another is accepted as truth but things like the trinity, the sacraments were instituted by the clergy not by Christ.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
No. That is not correct. What Baha’is believe is that the original teachings of all religions are true but not the man made doctrines and interpretations added afterwards. So Jesus law of love one another is accepted as truth but things like the trinity, the sacraments were instituted by the clergy not by Christ.
Christianity has no "original" message. At best it is second-hand recollections of what Jesus said and did. And, as with the example of the resurrection, Baha'is don't believe it really happened. Which is fine. Baha'is can join all of us that don't believe the resurrection really happened either. But we don't go around saying that we believe in Jesus, the Bible, the NT, and Christianity.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Baha'is can join all of us that don't believe the resurrection really happened either. But we don't go around saying that we believe in Jesus, the Bible, the NT, and Christianity.
Anyone can believe in Jesus, the Bible, the NT, and even Christianity and not believe that Jesus rose physically from the dead.
Not even all Christians believe that Jesus rose physically from the dead.

F1fan

Veteran Member
No. That is not correct. What Baha’is believe is that the original teachings of all religions are true but not the man made doctrines and interpretations added afterwards.
Right there, division. You believe what BAHA'I believe, not what people of other religions believe. You don't have an argument to present them, you think your view is superior. Religions are subjective and heavily fragmented, but the believers like what they are committed to, and you want to take that away. Is that a winning strategy?
So Jesus law of love one another is accepted as truth but things like the trinity, the sacraments were instituted by the clergy not by Christ.
Don't worry about it, it's likely there was no actual Jesus. But look on the bright side, Jesus never spoke bad about gay people like Baha'u'llah. That's love, not bigotry.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Jesus referred to Himself as a Prophet, and was so regarded. Jesus never referred to Himself as God. That is a Christian doctrine that developed after Jesus died.

Matthew 13:57 And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.

Luke 13:33 Nevertheless I must walk to day, and to morrow, and the day following: for it cannot be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem.

Matthew 21:11 And the multitude said, This is Jesus the prophet of Nazareth of Galilee.

Luke 7:16 And there came a fear on all: and they glorified God, saying, That a great prophet is risen up among us; and, That God hath visited his people.

exchemist

Veteran Member
From Muhammad to Krishna to Buddha and Baha’u’llah, it has been a norm amongst Christians of many denominations to accuse religionists of other religions of believing in satan himself and that all of these Teachers are ‘false Prophets’. Many times I have heard this said to me and others. Yet nowhere in the Bible does it categorically state by name that any of These Teachers are false. It is an interpretation by priests and clergy. All of Them taught love just as Christ did.

To be fair, I know of excellent Christians and priests who respect other religions and Prophets and they, I believe, are true Christians who practice love and tolerance towards all.

As a Christian, what do you believe about Muhammad or Buddha or Krishna and Baha’u’llah? Do you believe the different religions should mix with one another or shun each other? I once invited some Christians who knocked on my door to say some prayers together for humanity but they told me that their elders forbid them to do that because they could get ‘spiritually infected’! If Christ taught to love even ones enemy then this attitude towards other religions doesn’t sound right. What do you think?
Perhaps you've been talking to too many extreme Protestants. It is not the norm in the larger Christian denominations to inveigh against "false prophets" in connection with other religions, at least not in Europe. "Christians" that make cold calls at your door are most likely Jehovah's Witnesses. They are hardly representative of mainstream Christian attitudes, being often remarkably blinkered and ignorant in their outlook.

It seems to me that most of these other founders of religions were motivated by somewhat similar ideas and impulses. That being so, it seems peculiar to dismiss their teaching as "false", let alone "satanic".

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Very convenient.

'We believe all the things that accord with Bahaism'.

:wink:

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Jesus referred to Himself as a Prophet, and was so regarded. Jesus never referred to Himself as God. That is a Christian doctrine that developed after Jesus died.

Matthew 13:57 And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.

Luke 13:33 Nevertheless I must walk to day, and to morrow, and the day following: for it cannot be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem.

Matthew 21:11 And the multitude said, This is Jesus the prophet of Nazareth of Galilee.

Luke 7:16 And there came a fear on all: and they glorified God, saying, That a great prophet is risen up among us; and, That God hath visited his people.
Jesus repeatedly calls himself 'I am' (this doesn't always comes through in English), which is God's name.

Immediately he made the disciples get into the boat and go before him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, but the boat by this time was a long way from the land, beaten by the waves, for the wind was against them. And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea. But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” and they cried out in fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.”

'It is I' here in Greek is 'ego eimi' - 'I am'. Jesus says this whilst doing something God is known for - having power over water, which represents the powers of chaos in many ancient myths. All through the Tanakh we see God claiming power over water, subduing the forces of chaos etc. This is what this passage is about and there are many like it.

And see,

Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!”

As well as,

And they were filled with great fear and said to one another, “Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?”

Prophets do not control these forces, but God does it for them; here we see Jesus doing it of his own accord.

And the Sanhedrin wants to put him to death for blasphemy,

“Have you no answer to make? What is it that these men testify against you?” But he remained silent and made no answer. Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?” And Jesus said, “I am, and you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven.” And the high priest tore his garments and said, “What further witnesses do we need? You have heard his blasphemy. What is your decision?” And they all condemned him as deserving death.

And,

And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James and John, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, and his clothes became radiant, intensely white, as no one on earth could bleach them. And there appeared to them Elijah with Moses, and they were talking with Jesus. And Peter said to Jesus, “Rabbi, it is good that we are here. Let us make three tents, one for you and one for Moses and one for Elijah.” For he did not know what to say, for they were terrified. And a cloud overshadowed them, and a voice came out of the cloud, “This is my beloved Son; listen to him.” And suddenly, looking around, they no longer saw anyone with them but Jesus only.

Also this is John talking of Jesus,

"I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptise you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor and gather his wheat into the barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.”

What prophet does this?

And,

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

Does anyone prophesise in the name of another prophet? Do prophets have the knowledge of who will go to Heaven, to reject them therefrom?

Here Jesus says,

"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”

I know you aren't going to be convinced by these things, but the authors are making theological Tanakh based arguments here about Jesus' divinity, whether you believe this was added later or whatever you may believe. Some argue that Mark, for example, has an adoptionist theology, but this is again making Jesus God by another route. People are worshipping Jesus from the 1st century, so you'd have to make a very strong case that this is a later addition when it's attested even earlier than the virgin birth (which we don't find in Paul's letters, albeit that doesn't mean he didn't believe it, it's just not attested).

Last edited:

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
People are worshipping Jesus from the 1st century, so you'd have to make a very strong case that this is a later addition when it's attested even earlier than the virgin birth..
People believed all sorts of things..
The church clergy "chose" what to believe, and it was endorsed politically by the Roman Empire.
They outlawed other creeds .. particularly those that were closer to Judaism.