• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do Gods Need To Be Worshipped

Hawkins

Because freewills/angels/humans all follow the same path to get themselves killed.

Don't love God-->Don't worship God-->with pride-->sin-->leave God-->dead

Everyone who will die in the end, is somewhere positioned in this path. Say, the atheists are stuck in a position in "sin-->leave God", Satan and his fallen angels are in the "dead" position.

You have to work on the beginning to avoid following the same path to die. That's why God wants your worship, such that you won't die that soon. :yes:

Benhamine

Learning Member
Worship is a device to display reverence and gratitude towards the god(s) as well as a way to sustain one’s relationship with Him/Her/Them. It can’t be required or else it is pointless. If I require you to thank me for something then you’re not really thanking me. It’s a hollow gesture at that point. The worshipper must come to the practice willingly and of one’s own volition for it to truly be “worship”. The other purpose of worship is to build one’s relationship with their god(s). Imagine having a long distance relationship with a friend or significant other but never communicating with them. Once you finally get to meet them again, you’re not going to feel very close to them. Similarly to before, this can’t be required of you. If the relationship isn’t wanted on both ends then it is a false relationship. In the end I don’t believe worship is required but probably good practice for anyone who is “religious,” but I don’t think it should be done out of habit but rather when the worshipper truly feels gratitude or the need to communicate to their god(s).

Trying to take this question from a non-denominational standpoint…obviously there are some religions that won’t fit into this description though. I still feel that worship in any sense can’t be required or it loses it’s purpose.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Worship is a device to display reverence and gratitude towards the god(s) as well as a way to sustain one’s relationship with Him/Her/Them. It can’t be required or else it is pointless. If I require you to thank me for something then you’re not really thanking me. It’s a hollow gesture at that point. The worshipper must come to the practice willingly and of one’s own volition for it to truly be “worship”. The other purpose of worship is to build one’s relationship with their god(s). Imagine having a long distance relationship with a friend or significant other but never communicating with them. Once you finally get to meet them again, you’re not going to feel very close to them. Similarly to before, this can’t be required of you. If the relationship isn’t wanted on both ends then it is a false relationship. In the end I don’t believe worship is required but probably good practice for anyone who is “religious,” but I don’t think it should be done out of habit but rather when the worshipper truly feels gratitude or the need to communicate to their god(s).

Trying to take this question from a non-denominational standpoint…obviously there are some religions that won’t fit into this description though. I still feel that worship in any sense can’t be required or it loses it’s purpose.
Agreed.

Adonis65

Why do gods need to be worshipped? (I apologise if this topic has already been discussed i did search for one)

And im talking about all gods, not just yours in particular so please don't get uppity?

I mean most gods are considered 'omnipotent' all powerful. That means they shouldn't need us in any way shape or form. But yet they still require worship from their followers.

So i've been pondering this and i've come up with some theories:

A. The gods are not all powerful but get their power from our worship.
B. The gods are narcissistic egotistical beings who require the ego strokes they get from worship.

Any other possibilities?

-Q

The Gods are heavenly parents, and their work & glory is to perfect children who are reverent & respectful toward them?

Last edited:

Erebus

B. The gods are narcissistic egotistical beings who require the ego strokes they get from worship.

Any other possibilities?

-Q

I tend to think of worship as being primarily for our benefit rather than the gods. Having said that though, worship certainly helps solidify a thought form... So maybe A. to an extent?

Adonis65

That's why humans worship them.

But my question is why the gods demand that we humans do it.

Because we need to learn how to express gratitude.

Not even Diety is going to stand by and watch ingrates thumb their noses at the blessings He bestowed upon him. Sooner or later, judgment will follow.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I thought this section was for discussion and not debate.

Theological Concepts
Discussion
Sub-Forums: Theism Non-theism Monism Deism

... so why am I seeing debating on here? Have people forgotten the rules, or have they changed?

Yanni

Why do gods need to be worshipped? (I apologise if this topic has already been discussed i did search for one)

And im talking about all gods, not just yours in particular so please don't get uppity?

I mean most gods are considered 'omnipotent' all powerful. That means they shouldn't need us in any way shape or form. But yet they still require worship from their followers.

So i've been pondering this and i've come up with some theories:

Any other possibilities?

-Q
Of course, I'm not going to refer to all "gods" because I only believe in One God. However, not all gods (mine especially) requires or needs worship. In Orthodox Judaism, God gave us the Torah and its 613 commandments as a BENEFIT to us. He wants to benefit us by keeping his creations close to Him (as a father - son/daughter relationship) and by fulfilling His commandments, which are really there to benefit us, not to restrict us. When we pray to Him, it's for US. When we perform His commandments, it's for US. God didn't need to create this world at all. He is omnipotent, as you mentioned, and doesn't rely on anything at all. His existence is unique in the universe and He was the First and is the Last and all else is dependent on Him. That fact that we're all breathing now is because He wills it so. Every single breath and heartbeat is a reminder of this love; if He didn't love you, you wouldn't exist. The ultimate purpose of our creation and existence is because God wants to reward us with the ultimate pleasure imaginable in the Afterlife; but God wants us to reap the fruits of our labor (most will agree that the reward is greater, in almost every area of life, if we work for it). God knows this too. Therefore, He bids us to do His Will (which is the ultimate Truth and reality) and thereby reap the benefits of our efforts in the World to Come.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Of course, I'm not going to refer to all "gods" because I only believe in One God. However, not all gods (mine especially) requires or needs worship. In Orthodox Judaism, God gave us the Torah and its 613 commandments as a BENEFIT to us. He wants to benefit us by keeping his creations close to Him (as a father - son/daughter relationship) and by fulfilling His commandments, which are really there to benefit us, not to restrict us. When we pray to Him, it's for US. When we perform His commandments, it's for US. God didn't need to create this world at all. He is omnipotent, as you mentioned, and doesn't rely on anything at all. His existence is unique in the universe and He was the First and is the Last and all else is dependent on Him. That fact that we're all breathing now is because He wills it so. Every single breath and heartbeat is a reminder of this love; if He didn't love you, you wouldn't exist. The ultimate purpose of our creation and existence is because God wants to reward us with the ultimate pleasure imaginable in the Afterlife; but God wants us to reap the fruits of our labor (most will agree that the reward is greater, in almost every area of life, if we work for it). God knows this too. Therefore, He bids us to do His Will (which is the ultimate Truth and reality) and thereby reap the benefits of our efforts in the World to Come.
Reading this I am having difficulty determining who it is you are trying to convince...Us or Yourself

Yanni

Reading this I am having difficulty determining who it is you are trying to convince...Us or Yourself
Oh, I've been convinced since I was a little boy. I'm not really trying to convince anyone; I was just giving Judaism's view of good and bad, that's all.

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
I don't know about other Gods than mine (perhaps that have an inferiority complex lol)

My Gods don't need to be worshipped nor do they want to be. The Gods are ancestors to us, we are descended from them, so worshipping them would be like worshipping your Grandfather. I respect they Gods and ask for help if I truly need it, but other than that it's more of a "tip of the hat" type or relationship. I thank them and respect them, and they thank and respect me in turn.