• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people deny or have various doubts about God?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I believe that a large part of the reason why people have doubts about God is ignorance. However, I also believe that there are a lot of people out there who refuse to accept God (according to the Catholic belief system) simply because they enjoy their sins too much to repent and so they try to soothe their consciences by convincing themselves that God does not exist. I also believe that there are some who sincerely cannot get the faith required to believe in God despite trying to believe. For those people, I think that it is quite sad. I honestly feel like a very strong prayer life is essential to having a strong faith.

Your under a mistaken assumption. Even if you Could and did demonstrate that God existed, it's not the same as showing, that your god existed, or that god was good or worthy of worship.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
At this point, I have not been shown any evidence for which to dismiss.
Yes you have.
You claiming the evidence is not evidence does not make it go away.

I am not suggesting that I know for any matter of fact that the Sun does not predate the Earth. It may. But until I see some evidence of this supposed fact, why should I believe it?
Thank you for demonstrating my point once gain.

Everything anyone believes, they believe because they have an ability to believe and/or understand it. Everything you believe, you are capable of believing. Personally, I prefer evidence. I find it difficult to place my faith in claims for which no evidence is presented.
Yet you believe in god, right?

I have not seen any scientific evidence that the Sun predates the earth, and I have not heard of any personal knowledge or claims from anyone who might have experienced such knowledge first hand. If you have something -- anything that even remotely resembles evidence, by all means, present it.

Again you avoid my point.
The problem isn't the lack of evidence, the problem is your denial the evidence exists.

The double standard arises when you accept your belief in god without the same standard of evidence you demand for the sun.

Sonofason

Yes you have.
You claiming the evidence is not evidence does not make it go away.

And once again you produce only words, making yet another claim without evidence. I have asked for evidence. And I have not received evidence. I see what scientists say about it. I see what they write about it. And all they say and write are words upon words, theories constructed upon theories. Just show the actual evidence. I don't care to see your theories, I don't care to see their theories. Just show the evidence proving that the sun predates the earth. I know why you don't. It's because you can't. So why not just admit the truth, that you don't know whether or not the sun predates the earth.

Mestemia continues:
Thank you for demonstrating my point once gain.

Anytime. And thank you for demonstrating mine, by refusing once again to provide real evidence.

Yet you believe in god, right?

Of course, that is because God exists, and He has provided me with awesome evidence of His existence. It's my evidence. It wasn't for you. It was given to me to comfort me in my faith, to reassure me that my faith is placed in something very real. Unlike your belief that the sun predates the earth, a belief you hold without evidence, I belief in God because I have received evidence of God. You have blind faith in science. I have knowledge, and so therefore faith and solid belief in that which certainly true.

Mestemia continues:
Again you avoid my point.
The problem isn't the lack of evidence, the problem is your denial the evidence exists.

If your point is that I have seen evidence, and am denying it, you are incorrect. I have not seen any actual evidence. You cannot deny having seen evidence you haven't seen. Well, maybe you can, but I can't.

Mestemia continues:
The double standard arises when you accept your belief in god without the same standard of evidence you demand for the sun.

I have evidence of God as I have stated. I do not have evidence that the sun predates the earth.

Show the evidence.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Well we know about the birth, live and death of stars by observing the universe and it's many many stars. We can then use this to determine the suns age, based upon things like size and color. Their more to then that though, planetary development, the lack of nebula has gases etc

Sonofason

Well we know about the birth, live and death of stars by observing the universe and it's many many stars. We can then use this to determine the suns age, based upon things like size and color. Their more to then that though, planetary development, the lack of nebula has gases etc

Is that the evidence?

Sapiens

Polymathematician
And once again you produce only words, making yet another claim without evidence. I have asked for evidence. And I have not received evidence. I see what scientists say about it. I see what they write about it. And all they say and write are words upon words, theories constructed upon theories. Just show the actual evidence. I don't care to see your theories, I don't care to see their theories. Just show the evidence proving that the sun predates the earth. I know why you don't. It's because you can't. So why not just admit the truth, that you don't know whether or not the sun predates the earth.
You will not find a single trained astronomer or astrophysicist that will agree with you. What is it that you want? The Earth and the Sun's birth certificates? On your side you have only one bizarre interpretation of a questionable book that is so unclear and inaccurate, in so many matters, that only nutcases take it literally.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
"Evidence" is something that reinforces his preconceived notions.

"Not evidence" is anything that debunks the BS that he believes.

Sonofason

You will not find a single trained astronomer or astrophysicist that will agree with you. What is it that you want? The Earth and the Sun's birth certificates? On your side you have only one bizarre interpretation of a questionable book that is so unclear and inaccurate, in so many matters, that only nutcases take it literally.

Then explain to me why ever single trained astronomer and astrophysicist agree that the sun predates the earth. I don't care what people believe. I want to know why they believe what they believe.

Show the evidence or admit you can't.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Then explain to me why ever single trained astronomer and astrophysicist agree that the sun predates the earth. I don't care what people believe. I want to know why they believe what they believe.

Show the evidence or admit you can't.

Then why were you responding to him instead of me.

Sonofason

Originally Posted by Iti oj View Post
Yes. What would you call it? What do you mean by evidence?

I suggest you go get a dictionary and look up the word evidence.

It appears that you think that saying that "we know about the birth, live(sic) and death of stars by observing the universe and it's many many stars" is showing evidence that the sun predates the earth. You have failed the test. What you have provided is yet another claim, void of any and all resemblance of pertinent content.

Telling me what you think you can do to determine something, doesn't determine anything.

Sonofason

Yes. What would you call it? What do you mean by evidence?

Evidence is anything that you see, hear, or read that causes you to believe that something is true or has really happened. Telling me that something is true is not convincing to me. Show me something that dates the age of the sun, and show me something that dates the age of the earth.

That which tends to prove or disprove something is evidence.
Proof is factual information that verifies a conclusion.
You observing stars is not evidence.
You developing hypotheses about what you see is not evidence.
You surmising is not evidence

evidence - definition of evidence by The Free Dictionary

Evidence is "The available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid"

evidence: definition of evidence in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)

Sonofason

"Evidence" is something that reinforces his preconceived notions.

"Not evidence" is anything that debunks the BS that he believes.

It is impossible to debunk what I believe. That which I believe is based on evidence that I have received. I do not believe anything without evidence. My faith in God is based on the evidence of God's existence that God Himself has given to me.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
It is impossible to debunk what I believe. That which I believe is based on evidence that I have received. I do not believe anything without evidence. My faith in God is based on the evidence of God's existence that God Himself has given to me.
Now there is prehaps the most foolish tautology I have ever come across.

Apple Sugar

Peace be on everyone.

Why do people deny or have various doubts about God?

Edit / add: and what is the source of morality in life, of above mentioned people?

Possibly doubt arises because with all the religions populating a world populated by over 7 billion people who in majority believe in an invisible spirit that empathizes with the human condition, the world is what it is at the present moment.

Thereby leading some to wonder how omni-benevolence reciprocates the favor of worship and respect for the power of God. When it could appear to those same people that God doesn't return the favor.

As to the source of morality, religion has never imparted a morality in those devoid of same. If it did as an absolute we wouldn't have a religious history, most any religion, that records evil vile behaviors and deeds committed by those who professed their actions were executed in the name of faith.
Morality, at least in my view, is not universal. However, it is something that is rooted in the conscience and resonates to the right instruction afforded by family and demonstrated by culture.
I do think there are cases wherein if we were to humanize the particular deity of certain religions in reading the holy text that speak of that deity and their behaviors and instructions to their faithful and compared those to our unique model of what morality is defined as and by, we might realize that deity in many religions is no better than we. Just more powerful in the process.
This is what often gives rise to the observation that humans create their god's in their image and likeness.

And given the state of the world that may be correct.

Iti oj

Premium Member
I'm not following you down this rabbit whole, you didn't ask for evidence of the life of a star. What do you want me to explain physics to you next?

Apple Sugar

I know what you're saying here. Be not discouraged by those who would mock you. Those who know, know. Those who have never paid attention so as to learn what they don't know find comfort in the dark. And light only in hating those who no longer venture there. :hug:

adi2d

A patient in an nut house has as much evidence that he is Napoleon as you have posted

You believe it. He believes it

Evidence?