• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people deny or have various doubts about God?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Being a Christian I would ask you the same thing because all I have is people and I love them but on the other hand you should be eyeball high with hate since you hate the very world you live in so much you want a "spiritual" one to exist

The Spirit is not something separated from matter. Actually when you have sex with a person you are deeply in love with, you are creating spirit. Spirit which will remain eternal, so as you can see, it's matter that creates spirit and not vice versa.

But matter has no meaning if we don't give it a meaning.

Sonofason

I'm a Theist and I will give my thoughts.

One reason is lack of convincing evidence for God's existence. The view that everything is made of matter following natural laws makes good simple sense. What else could there be beyond matter. Nothing else is 'real'. And the theistic explanations present even more problems.

If only atheists had a valid, proven theory for the existence of matter and natural laws, you might have a platform on which to stand. Instead, you stand on a belief that nature and natural law occurs naturally. And that is a great leap of faith, without evidence.

You suggest, that because you see it, it must have always been there. But if you can't see it, it could not possibly exist. This is completely illogical.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
The Spirit is not something separated from matter. Actually when you have sex with a person you are deeply in love with, you are creating spirit. Spirit which will remain eternal, so as you can see, it's matter that creates spirit and not vice versa.

Gross, seriously.

Sonofason

This is illogical circular reasoning. I could just as easily say, and be more likely correct to say, that it is the spirit of love which is first, causing two people to have sex. So clearly, you can see it is spirit that creates matter, and not vise/versa.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
If only atheists had a valid, proven theory for the existence of matter and natural laws, you might have a platform on which to stand. Instead, you stand on a belief that nature and natural law occurs naturally. And that is a great leap of faith, without evidence.

You suggest, that because you see it, it must have always been there. But if you can't see it, it could not possibly exist. This is completely illogical.

Actually we have reason to believe that it has "always" been there due to natural laws. However the "creation" of the universe is a blank spot in science. As an atheist I say "I don't know" because I am more comfortable not having an answer than having a made up one.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
This is illogical circular reasoning. I could just as easily say, and be more likely correct to say, that it is the spirit of love which is first, causing two people to have sex. So clearly, you can see it is spirit that creates matter, and not vise/versa.

One reasoning does not exclude the other

Sonofason

Actually we have reason to believe that it has "always" been there due to natural laws. However the "creation" of the universe is a blank spot in science. As an atheist I say "I don't know" because I am more comfortable not having an answer than having a made up one.

The idea that God is the Creator is not necessarily a made up answer. It is an answer that has it's origin in reason, and quite possibly direct communication from the existent God to those of mankind willing to listen and hear that which is reasonable from this existent God. It is illogical to suggest that God is not the answer simply because you refuse to accept Him as the answer. And by no means does you level of comfort with an answer suggest that the answer must be made up.

Perhaps you meant to be more clear. You suggested in your answer that God is "a made up" answer. Perhaps you meant to say that as far as you know, this is a made up answer. I can only wonder why you intentionally said what you said here. If you do not know the answer, why would you suggest that God is a made up answer, especially since I know for a fact that you do not know for a fact that God is a made up answer?

The way you have responded here suggests to me that you have no intention of accepting God as a possible answer. I can only wonder why.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I was born with a mind that is only capable of forming fact-based opinions. I'm not kidding. When the other kids said "yikes, there's alligators in the walkway! Better jump over it!" I thought "No there aren't. This is a stupid game". Establishing facts requires evidence.

Given that I only believe things that are factually true, based on a high standard of evidence, all of humanity's various gods simply aren't contenders. Like the alligators in the sidewalk, it is impossible for me even to pretend that they are real.

I'm scientifically minded, very skeptical, and don't come from any sort of 'religious adherence' background.
That being said, it really doesn't have to do with religious/theistic beliefs. We are talking about theism, which might not have any proof.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

So what is your "valid, proven theory" for god?
Until you have one, you are in the exact same boat you put atheists in.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I explained the reason why people easily deny the existence of the Abrahamic God. Because it is absurd, I think, to believe in a prideful, jealous God.

Yet you claim to be Christian, you really aren't making sense. 'Worship' of Jesus is what Christians are doing and that is including in "Abrahamic religioins", so unless you aren't actually a Xian, then you are contradicting yourself.
Actually it seems confusing yet it leaves you an 'out' in all arguments lol, some other people claiming to be xians use these similar methods, personally, I recognize that what I practice is not 'xianity', so I don't call it that.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Please give an example of this reasoning.

It's the same mechanism we see when we look at nature. Nature with its beauty, its wildness and its landscapes is the product of evolution.
Evolution is the proof that God is not separated from matter, but it is that divine strength that allows matter to become more and more perfect.
That's what I mean when I say that evolution is the evidence of God's existence.
But if you think that God is a deity or a person...we can never agree on anything.
But I deeply respect your standpoint

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Son of a gun, Sonofason! I think I confused you. I am actually a non-dualist (God and creation are not two). Actually I believe only God is real and this is all Consciousness/Oneness. I was just giving my opinion on the OP question: Why do people (other people in my case) deny or have various doubts about God?

I'll let a real atheist (as I see in an above post) reply to your question.

Looncall

Word salad. "Meaning" does not apply to "matter".

Sonofason

It's the same mechanism we see when we look at nature. Nature with its beauty, its wildness and its landscapes is the product of evolution.
Evolution is the proof that God is not separated from matter, but it is that divine strength that allows matter to become more and more perfect.
That's what I mean when I say that evolution is the evidence of God's existence.
But if you think that God is a deity or a person...we can never agree on anything.
But I deeply respect your standpoint

I'm becoming a bit confused. I hear you saying that "God is not separated from matter" on the one hand, and then that God cannot be a person on the other. This appears to be a contradiction of thinking from my perspective. Can you clear this up for me? How can a god be inseparable from matter on the one hand, and yet also be incapable of being a man?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Word salad. "Meaning" does not apply to "matter".

well...what do you mean by meaning?
Nature is chaotic without God. and God is the meaning (or Logos, or word, you can call Him whatever you want). But we give meaning to nature, because we humans are the only beings on Earth that understand this meaning.

Sonofason

Son of a gun, Sonofason! I think I confused you. I am actually a non-dualist (God and creation are not two). Actually I believe only God is real and this is all Consciousness/Oneness. I was just giving my opinion on the OP question: Why do people (other people in my case) deny or have various doubts about God?

I'll let a real atheist (as I see in an above post) reply to your question.

Yes, it seems I was confused. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Looncall

The idea that God is the Creator is not necessarily a made up answer. It is an answer that has it's origin in reason, and quite possibly direct communication from the existent God to those of mankind willing to listen and hear that which is reasonable from this existent God. It is illogical to suggest that God is not the answer simply because you refuse to accept Him as the answer. And by no means does you level of comfort with an answer suggest that the answer must be made up.

Perhaps you meant to be more clear. You suggested in your answer that God is "a made up" answer. Perhaps you meant to say that as far as you know, this is a made up answer. I can only wonder why you intentionally said what you said here. If you do not know the answer, why would you suggest that God is a made up answer, especially since I know for a fact that you do not know for a fact that God is a made up answer?

The way you have responded here suggests to me that you have no intention of accepting God as a possible answer. I can only wonder why.

The notion of gods arose in a time when people had negligible understanding of nature. We clearly see that they made up lots of gods to fill the holes in their understanding. It is reasonable to suppose that that applies to all gods.

It is our misfortune that these ancient errors have persisted.

Sonofason

The notion of gods arose in a time when people had negligible understanding of nature. We clearly see that they made up lots of gods to fill the holes in their understanding. It is reasonable to suppose that that applies to all gods.

It is our misfortune that these ancient errors have persisted.

Please tell me your understanding of nature. What exactly about nature do you understand?

Why exactly do electrons exist?
Where do electrons come from?
Why does photosynthesis work for some conglomerations of molecules, but not for others?
What is gravity? And what causes it to exist?
What is the nature of matter such that it should have such a component?

What is love? Why should it exist?
What understanding do you have that the Bible got wrong?