• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people deny or have various doubts about God?

Looncall

well...what do you mean by meaning?
Nature is chaotic without God. and God is the meaning (or Logos, or word, you can call Him whatever you want). But we give meaning to nature, because we humans are the only beings on Earth that understand this meaning.

More word salad.

I have studied nature a fair bit, being a professional chemist. I don't find nature to be all that chaotic. Do I hear ignorance speaking?

Looncall

Please tell me your understanding of nature. What exactly about nature do you understand?

Why exactly do electrons exist?
Where do electrons come from?
Why does photosynthesis work for some conglomerations of molecules, but not for others?
What is gravity? And what causes it to exist?
What is the nature of matter such that it should have such a component?

What is love? Why should it exist?
What understanding do you have that the Bible got wrong?

I hear ignorance squawking here. I studied quantum mechanics some time ago and have forgotten some of these things. That's a perk that comes with entering old age. As for electrons, they pop into being in my lab all the time and leave a clear signature in gamma-ray spectra.

As for the bible, if you dig down in your back yard, odds are that you will find evidence that there was no worldwide flood at the time claimed (or at any other time, for that matter). To claim that a tawdry collection of campfire tales and religious and political propaganda has any authority concerning reality is risible.

Sonofason

The notion of gods arose in a time when people had negligible understanding of nature. We clearly see that they made up lots of gods to fill the holes in their understanding. It is reasonable to suppose that that applies to all gods.

It is our misfortune that these ancient errors have persisted.

I am not suggesting than man does not make errors. But that fact has nothing to do with whether or not God exists.

Sonofason

I hear ignorance squawking here. I studied quantum mechanics some time ago and have forgotten some of these things. That's a perk that comes with entering old age. As for electrons, they pop into being in my lab all the time and leave a clear signature in gamma-ray spectra.

As for the bible, if you dig down in your back yard, odds are that you will find evidence that there was no worldwide flood at the time claimed (or at any other time, for that matter). To claim that a tawdry collection of campfire tales and religious and political propaganda has any authority concerning reality is risible.

Why don't you show any evidence for any of your claims? Show me an electron popping into existence. Apparently you haven't read the laws of thermodynamics.

Awkward Fingers

Omphaloskeptic
Why don't you show any evidence for any of your claims? Show me an electron popping into existence. Apparently you haven't read the laws of thermodynamics.

I'm assuming you weren't being humorous, or ironic in some way I didn't catch?

Quantum Foam, Virtual Particles and Other Curiosities - The Nature of Reality

Virtual particle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are virtual particles really constantly popping in and out of existence? Or are they merely a mathematical bookkeeping device for quantum mechanics? - Scientific American

There's a starting place for you. Enjoy!

Sonofason

I see lots of words, but no evidence that electrons pop into existence. So I will just assume you can't provide any evidence to support your claim. If you had any, you would have shown it.

Looncall

I am not suggesting than man does not make errors. But that fact has nothing to do with whether or not God exists.

With people promiscuously inventing gods to explain phenomena (eg Zeus the thunderer), it is only natural to suppose any particular example is of the same sort, unless, of course, convincing evidence to the contrary is at hand.

Awkward Fingers

Omphaloskeptic
I see lots of words, but no evidence that electrons pop into existence. So I will just assume you can't provide any evidence to support your claim. If you had any, you would have shown it.

Aaah, gotcha. Dismiss anything anyone tells you to hold on to your incorrect beliefs and fallacious about science that you don't understand.
No worries, I apologize for not realizing immediately you were dismissable and only here to argue and not learn.
My mistake.

If I seem to not answer you in the future, please refer to this thread as to why.

Sonofason

With people promiscuously inventing gods to explain phenomena (eg Zeus the thunderer), it is only natural to suppose any particular example is of the same sort, unless, of course, convincing evidence to the contrary is at hand.

Zeus was no god. He was an angel, a fallen angel.

Sonofason

Aaah, gotcha. Dismiss anything anyone tells you to hold on to your incorrect beliefs and fallacious about science that you don't understand.
No worries, I apologize for not realizing immediately you were dismissable and only here to argue and not learn.
My mistake.

If I seem to not answer you in the future, please refer to this thread as to why.

Quote something from your resources that can be deemed as evidence. I see claim upon claim, and no evidence. Honestly, show something, anything that even resembles evidence.

Sonofason

I haven't heard that one before. Ahhh, the baroque imagination of the religious!

"And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose."
(Genesis 6:1-2)

The KJV version says this:
"There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown."
(Genesis 6:4)

The NIV says it this way:
"The Nephilim were on the earth in those days--and also afterward--when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown."

Remember, it was Moses who wrote this book, not Noah. By Moses' time, the giants (Nephilem) Sons of the "gods" were indeed heroes of old, and men of renown; names like those we find in Greek mythology and other supposed mythologies as well.

It is my guess that if you were to see an angel, and it commanded you to worship him as a god, you would.

Looncall

"And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose."

"There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown."

"The Nephilim were on the earth in those days--and also afterward--when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown."

Remember, it was Moses who wrote this book, not Noah. By Moses' time, the giants (Nephilem) Sons of the "gods" were indeed heroes of old, and men of renown; names like those we find in Greek mythology and other supposed mythologies as well.

It is my guess that if you were to see an angel, and it commanded you to worship him as a god, you would.

My mistake, I should have used "roccoco" instead of "baroque". All this from some ancient campfire yarns!

mahasn ebn sawresho

Are you faith in only God
If that
The Christianity and Judaism believes in God in his image and his full and don't need anyone to teach her faith in God
And either
If you want to believe in Muhammad
Muhammad is not a prophet and Messenger

God in Islam I don't know
Because the attributes of God in Islam unconformity attributes in the Torah and the Gospel
If you speak about God only Yes I believe in God
And if Mohamed
Lala don't believe in Mohammed for many reasons
Including ethical, religious and social
The morality of Muhammad know you
And his actions also know

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I haven't heard that one before. Ahhh, the baroque imagination of the religious!

That the pre-Christian Gods of the indigenous peoples of the world are "evil fallen angels" trying to dupe humans into worshiping Them is a common belief among strict Christians. It's very offensive.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
The idea that God is the Creator is not necessarily a made up answer. It is an answer that has it's origin in reason, and quite possibly direct communication from the existent God to those of mankind willing to listen and hear that which is reasonable from this existent God. It is illogical to suggest that God is not the answer simply because you refuse to accept Him as the answer. And by no means does you level of comfort with an answer suggest that the answer must be made up.

Perhaps you meant to be more clear. You suggested in your answer that God is "a made up" answer. Perhaps you meant to say that as far as you know, this is a made up answer. I can only wonder why you intentionally said what you said here. If you do not know the answer, why would you suggest that God is a made up answer, especially since I know for a fact that you do not know for a fact that God is a made up answer?

The way you have responded here suggests to me that you have no intention of accepting God as a possible answer. I can only wonder why.

I think god is as reasonable an answer as any other. But they would both have their root in the minds of people. Specifically why I think "god" would be a "made up" answer is because of 2 key reasons.
1) Not all religions are correct. So at the very least the vast majority are "made up".
2) We have, for as long as human history has been around, used "god" as a convenient answer for things we didn't understand. Everything was caused by god. Slowly over time we have found out why things are the way they are and every single time we have made that discovery it wasn't god. I don't see any logical reason to assume that it wouldn't be the same with this claim.

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless

So Charlie Sheen actually has Adonis DNA?