• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people deny or have various doubts about God?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
That which you perceive has a great deal more to do with you than it has to do with me.
Well, I've seen people pile evidence in front of your face, and I've seen you tell them that you don't understand it and that it doesn't count as evidence.

So the only conclusion I can come to at this point, is that you are unable to recognize evidence when you see it. Sorry.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
No, I said I rarely trust people I don't know. But in this case Lemaire has discovered something which confirms that which I believe is true. Evidence of the historicity of Jesus, I expect to be found. And that is because Jesus is historical.
So you trust people you don't know only when they say something you want to hear? Seriously?

Sonofason

Well, I've seen people pile evidence in front of your face, and I've seen you tell them that you don't understand it and that it doesn't count as evidence.

So the only conclusion I can come to at this point, is that you are unable to recognize evidence when you see it. Sorry.
That's fine. If that is your conclusion, it is your conclusion. But again, your conclusions have a great deal more to do with you than they have to do with me. You're conclusions about me are not likely to be accurate representations of me. But you are free to think they are.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
That's fine. If that is your conclusion, it is your conclusion. But again, your conclusions have a great deal more to do with you than they have to do with me. You're conclusions about me are not likely to be accurate representations of me. But you are free to think they are.
What conclusion would you come to? What other one is there?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Evidence is only evidence if it is perceived as evidence. There is no other conclusion.
A most convenient way to protect your faith.

Are you brave enough to seriously delve into why your faith needs so much protective safe guarding?

I am betting not.

Sonofason

*climbs up onto pontoon boat*

Don't mind me, I'm just trying to not drown in bull ****....
I know, it's hard to believe. It's just something you don't see every day. Well, that is, unless you get a chance to talk with me every day.

Sonofason

A most convenient way to protect your faith.

Are you brave enough to seriously delve into why your faith needs so much protective safe guarding?

I am betting not.
I am brave enough to seriously claim that my faith needs no protective safe guarding. God exists, and I am certain about that. The faith I have in God is nothing like the kind of faith that you imagine. My faith in God is more like complete trust in God. I don't believe that God exists. I know He exists. There is no doubt. There is nothing so fragile with regard to my faith that would require safe guarding.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I am brave enough to seriously claim that my faith needs no protective safe guarding. God exists, and I am certain about that. The faith I have in God is nothing like the kind of faith that you imagine. My faith in God is more like complete trust in God. I don't believe that God exists. I know He exists. There is no doubt. There is nothing so fragile with regard to my faith that would require safe guarding.
Oh, is that why you have to deny evidence that's waved in front of your face??

Sonofason

Well then isn't it awfully convenient for you that you don't seem to recognize any empirical evidence as actual evidence.
Doesn't sound so honest to me.
You telling me that someone's claim of evidence is somehow empirical evidence is rather meaningless to me. Convince me somehow that the claim is actually evidence, and I will determine for myself whether or not your particular claim of evidence is empirical or not.

Sonofason

Oh, is that why you have to deny evidence that's waved in front of your face??
If I thought evidence was waved in front of my face, I would admit that evidence was waved in front of my face. But the fact is, no evidence has been shown, and so therefore it is easy to conclude that no evidence has been waved.

Jesus (in Matthew) told his disciples that the end time would occur in their generation and it did not. He also analogized this end time to when the world was flooded in the days of Noah. Guess what? The myth of a global flood has been proven false. The end time hasn't happened, hence our presence. He said the end time would especially be brutal for pregnant and nursing women, one of the most vulnerable of our species. What loving creator would intentionally do that, particularly since infants and toddlers are too young to be guilty of committing any sinful crime?

How many biblical fallacies does it take for one to admit one was duped? How do you rule out that the gospels are man-made stories written after the fact, associating stories and attributes to man (Jesus) that may or may not have existed? Doesn't that make more sense then the stories were true and deify reality?