• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people deny or have various doubts about God?

Sonofason

Jesus (in Matthew) told his disciples that the end time would occur in their generation and it did not. He also analogized this end time to when the world was flooded in the days of Noah. Guess what? The myth of a global flood has been proven false. The end time hasn't happened, hence our presence. He said the end time would especially be brutal for pregnant and nursing women, one of the most vulnerable of our species. What loving creator would intentionally do that, particularly since infants and toddlers are too young to be guilty of committing any sinful crime?

How many biblical fallacies does it take for one to admit one was duped? How do you rule out that the gospels are man-made stories written after the fact, associating stories and attributes to man (Jesus) that may or may not have existed? Doesn't that make more sense then the stories were true and deify reality?
No, Jesus (In Mathew 24) told His disciples that the end time would occur in our generation, and it will.
No, the global flood has not been proven false. It has only been hypothesized as being false - big difference.
Yes, it will be most difficult for pregnant women and women with small children to run to the mountains to find safety.
Well, there's actually nothing wrong with dying, so for a God to allow anyone to die is not such a bad thing. Consider this. God allows every single person on this planet to die. He will allow me to die. He will allow you to die. No one will be deprived of their God given right to die.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
No, Jesus (In Mathew 24) told His disciples that the end time would occur in our generation, and it will.
No, the global flood has not been proven false. It has only been hypothesized as being false - big difference.
Yes, it will be most difficult for pregnant women and women with small children to run to the mountains to find safety.
Well, there's actually nothing wrong with dying, so for a God to allow anyone to die is not such a bad thing. Consider this. God allows every single person on this planet to die. He will allow me to die. He will allow you to die. No one will be deprived of their God given right to die.

There are many ways that I could reply to your post, but most of what I would have to say is of no avail because of your framework.
Essentially, as long as you can make the rest of the pieces ( general beliefs/knowledge ) fit with your base structure ( your strong beliefs ), you are unwilling to accept any other structure. Even if this new proposed structure gives a much better fit for the rest of the pieces.

Eventually, a time comes to many of us when we realize how much we are limiting ourselves by not letting go of our past due frameworks. I sincerely hope this time come to you soon rather than later.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
If I thought evidence was waved in front of my face, I would admit that evidence was waved in front of my face. But the fact is, no evidence has been shown, and so therefore it is easy to conclude that no evidence has been waved.
So we're back to you not understanding what evidence is. Great. Round and round we go.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
You telling me that someone's claim of evidence is somehow empirical evidence is rather meaningless to me. Convince me somehow that the claim is actually evidence, and I will determine for myself whether or not your particular claim of evidence is empirical or not.
I don't think you're capable of being convinced of anything you don't already believe, no matter how great the evidence against it. We've already seen you dismiss all kinds of clear evidence presented to you. And I'm sorry but you don't get to determine what is or is not empirical evidence. Empirical evidence is that which is verifiable by observation, testability and repeatability. You dismiss such evidence in favour of what you already believe.

Sonofason

There are many ways that I could reply to your post, but most of what I would have to say is of no avail because of your framework.
Essentially, as long as you can make the rest of the pieces ( general beliefs/knowledge ) fit with your base structure ( your strong beliefs ), you are unwilling to accept any other structure. Even if this new proposed structure gives a much better fit for the rest of the pieces.

Eventually, a time comes to many of us when we realize how much we are limiting ourselves by not letting go of our past due frameworks. I sincerely hope this time come to you soon rather than later.
All you have to do is actually show that this "new proposed structure" is a better fit than the structure I presently accept. You say this new proposed structure gives a better fit for the rest of the pieces, but you have not shown that to be the case.

Sonofason

So we're back to you not understanding what evidence is. Great. Round and round we go.
Oh, I understand very well what evidence is. Evidence is anything that you see, hear, or read that causes you to believe that something is true or has really happened. So please, if there is something you want me to believe, by all means present that which is capable of causing me to believe it. And if it causes me to believe it, I will certainly consider it evidence.

Sonofason

I don't think you're capable of being convinced of anything you don't already believe, no matter how great the evidence against it. We've already seen you dismiss all kinds of clear evidence presented to you. And I'm sorry but you don't get to determine what is or is not empirical evidence. Empirical evidence is that which is verifiable by observation, testability and repeatability. You dismiss such evidence in favour of what you already believe.
Honestly, if nothing is capable of convincing me of anything, then there could be no such thing as evidence, because in order for something to be considered evidence, it must be something that is convincing.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Oh, I understand very well what evidence is. Evidence is anything that you see, hear, or read that causes you to believe that something is true or has really happened. So please, if there is something you want me to believe, by all means present that which is capable of causing me to believe it. And if it causes me to believe it, I will certainly consider it evidence.
That is the point -your position is immune to evidence. No evidence will change your mind.

Sonofason

That is the point -your position is immune to evidence. No evidence will change your mind.
Well my dear friend, if it is so that I cannot be persuaded by that which you call evidence, it could be that I have already been convinced of something else. Perhaps the evidence I have is actually much stronger and greater than that which you are calling evidence.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Well my dear friend, if it is so that I cannot be persuaded by that which you call evidence, it could be that I have already been convinced of something else. Perhaps the evidence I have is actually much stronger and greater than that which you are calling evidence.

No, it can only be something so catastrophically frail that you must wall yourself off from all deeper consideration. If the 'evidence' you had was even evidence at all - let alone true. You would he able to embrace the evidence being given to you freely. When you feel that you must resist and deny all evidence as you do - it is because you doubt.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
No matter how vast, it would not make a global flood any less impossible.
Last time I heard the flood was proven impossible- it was because there was simply not enough water...

now this is debunked, perhaps there is another 'next best reason' it's impossible, but isn't that the old atheism of the gaps again? :)

Sonofason

No, it can only be something so catastrophically frail that you must wall yourself off from all deeper consideration. If the 'evidence' you had was even evidence at all - let alone true. You would he able to embrace the evidence being given to you freely. When you feel that you must resist and deny all evidence as you do - it is because you doubt.
Please humor me, I must wall myself off from all deeper consideration of what exactly? Please tell me what it is that you believe I doubt. Which evidence exactly do you believe I would be able to embrace?

Shad

Veteran Member
Last time I heard the flood was proven impossible- it was because there was simply not enough water...

now this is debunked, perhaps there is another 'next best reason' it's impossible, but isn't that the old atheism of the gaps again? :)

The article does not say the water in this layer is enough to cover the earth nor that this water was on the surface all at once. You are speculating nothing more. You also have to ignore the surface evidence which rules out the idea itself.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat

Buddy, there still isn't anywhere near enough water - even if there was a vast ocean under ground. The global flood remains utterly impossible.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Please humor me, I must wall myself off from all deeper consideration of what exactly? Please tell me what it is that you believe I doubt. Which evidence exactly do you believe I would be able to embrace?
It is as simple as it is obvious I'm sad to say. You must wall yourself off from reality to protect your fragile faith. A faith that you clearly fear will evaporate if you even consider it deeply.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I am brave enough to seriously claim that my faith needs no protective safe guarding.
Then why are you?

God exists, and I am certain about that.
Good for you.
now why do you seem to have to constantly remind yourself?

The faith I have in God is nothing like the kind of faith that you imagine.
Bold empty claim that serves no purpose but to make yourself feel better.

My faith in God is more like complete trust in God.
Fair enough

I don't believe that God exists. I know He exists. There is no doubt. There is nothing so fragile with regard to my faith that would require safe guarding.
Yet here you are, doing exactly that...