• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people deny or have various doubts about God?

Sonofason

No it isn't. One of us is correct and one is incorrect. Faith is not necessary when we have evidence, and we know - thanks to evidence - beyond the shadow of a doubt that the sun predated the earth by millions of years. In fact, without the sun's gravity the earth could never have formed to begin with.

By the way, the Bible never states that God created anything specifically on the earth. It does say that God stuff, but it was the earth that brought those things forth. I wonder if God planted the seeds of His created lifeforms and planted them in His garden. I don't know. Interestingly, neither do you?

Alceste

Vagabond
That of course is your belief. I'd love to see your evidence that the sun predates the earth, just so that I can understand why you believe that. Show your evidence please.

Really??? Would you mind brushing up on the basics first? Galileo, Newton, Einstein. Start there and if you're still confused about why the order had to be sun, then earth, then moon, I'll be happy to help you out.

Alceste

Vagabond
By the way, the Bible never states that God created anything specifically on the earth. It does say that God stuff, but it was the earth that brought those things forth. I wonder if God planted the seeds of His created lifeforms and planted them in His garden. I don't know. Interestingly, neither do you?

Yeah, I do know, but I don't begrudge you your daydreams.

Alceste

Vagabond
OOOH the order to which it was all made according to the bible.
Thats rather interesting. What does this prove though? The bibles illegit?

It proves that the Bible contains significant factual errors. That is consistent with the belief that it was written by ordinary men who just didn't know any better. It's not consistent with the belief it was written by men who were channeling the teachings of an omniscient being.

I never saw the Bible as a book of facts though. Even as a church going child of devout Christian parents, I wasn't taught that. So as far as I'm concerned it's as legit as it ever was.

Peace be on everyone.

Edit / add: and what is the source of morality in life, of above mentioned people?

Peace,

I don't believe or disbelieve that there is something that should be worshiped (a "God.") To me, maybe there is a God (something that should be worshiped) and maybe there isn't. I feel like that because it just hasn't been proven to me that there is something that should be worshiped.

I have no source of morality...I just believe in being me and hope that no one gets injured while I'm being me.

Peace.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Peace be on everyone.

Edit / add: and what is the source of morality in life, of above mentioned people?

For the same reason you have doubts or deny Jesus divinity. Just try to think very hard about the reasons you doubt Jesus or Zeus and you will get close to the feelings we have towards any other God.

Ciao

- viole

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I find that rather contradictory. Though I do know what your speaking of, What gave it away that it was a product of your doing?

Not that it was of my own doing but an experience that can be felt within me. It didn't necessarily have to be of "god" to explain these things. Not to mention there has been several studies on the brain chemistry when it comes to religion and several specifically from prayer. Every sensation we ever have is just chemistry in the brain and that was a profound thing for me to learn and accept.

But if you want a specific example of why I think that it is not of "god' is because the same things I felt with Christianity I felt with Wicca, Buddhism and later secular ideals and the like. Later I have felt it during secular activities.

I never misuse words. I use them exactly as I intend to use them.
Then you must intend to use them dishonestly.
I'd like to see your evidence proving that that which you once believed was an experience of God was not actually an experience of God. I'd like to see you prove that that which you claim you experience now, that you once thought was an experience of God is not an experience of God. I like evidence. Please show yours.

Show me evidence of god. That would be the primary. I can only tell you that I've felt "god's presence" and I have also felt the same thin with secular activities as well. The "spiritual experience" is a chemical reaction in the brain.

Lower serotonin levels and religion--science, religious, brain, chemicals, spiritual - Beliefnet.com

Or you can look into any number of Neurological studies.

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard
It proves that the Bible contains significant factual errors. That is consistent with the belief that it was written by ordinary men who just didn't know any better. It's not consistent with the belief it was written by men who were channeling the teachings of an omniscient being.

I never saw the Bible as a book of facts though. Even as a church going child of devout Christian parents, I wasn't taught that. So as far as I'm concerned it's as legit as it ever was.

uhm, I thought the world understood that man wrote the bible, but it was only written by God's will. Hmm..

Thruve

Not that it was of my own doing but an experience that can be felt within me. It didn't necessarily have to be of "god" to explain these things. Not to mention there has been several studies on the brain chemistry when it comes to religion and several specifically from prayer. Every sensation we ever have is just chemistry in the brain and that was a profound thing for me to learn and accept.

But if you want a specific example of why I think that it is not of "god' is because the same things I felt with Christianity I felt with Wicca, Buddhism and later secular ideals and the like. Later I have felt it during secular activities.

Then you must intend to use them dishonestly.

Show me evidence of god. That would be the primary. I can only tell you that I've felt "god's presence" and I have also felt the same thin with secular activities as well. The "spiritual experience" is a chemical reaction in the brain.

Lower serotonin levels and religion--science, religious, brain, chemicals, spiritual - Beliefnet.com

Or you can look into any number of Neurological studies.

As a christian, I always thought people who claimed "I have felt gods presence!" were loony to begin with lol. In other words, To think you're feeling God's presence is just ridiculous in it's self. That's just my opinion, anyway. That stupid crap on TV where a pastor reject "causes" people to invoke the spirit and they go nuts, figit, twirl around, move their hands all spastically, roll around on the floor like they are having a seizure, all of that is just.. loony to me. To think your feeling 'GODS' presence, period, is redic. Therefore, IDK why people, such as yourself, associate feelings or 'vibes' and such as experiencing his presence to begin with. Spirits? Sure why not.. Demons.. whatever.. God? pfft lol

Last edited:

TheGunShoj

uhm, I thought the world understood that man wrote the bible, but it was only written by God's will. Hmm..

Right but if God was divinely guiding the hands of the men writing it, why would there be so many blatant errors and contradictions? That's the point. It doesn't add up to divine inspiration.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
As a christian, I always thought people who claimed "I have felt gods presence!" were loony to begin with lol. In other words, To think you're feeling God's presence is just ridiculous in it's self. That's just my opinion, anyway. That stupid crap on TV where a pastor reject "causes" people to invoke the spirit and they go nuts, figit, twirl around, move their hands all spastically, roll around on the floor like they are having a seizure, all of that is just.. loony to me. To think your feeling 'GODS' presence, period, is redic. Therefore, IDK why people, such as yourself, associate feelings or 'vibes' and such as experiencing his presence to begin with. Spirits? Sure why not.. Demons.. whatever.. God? pfft lol

Do you deny the existence of "spiritual experiences" in normal sane people? And on what do you base your religious views?

Alceste

Vagabond

Some folks think the entire bible is the literally true, unblemished, perfect word of God. I'm quite surprised you haven't come across any of those people yourself, especially here.

Sonofason

Really??? Would you mind brushing up on the basics first? Galileo, Newton, Einstein. Start there and if you're still confused about why the order had to be sun, then earth, then moon, I'll be happy to help you out.

So I take it, you can't. I understand.

Thruve

Some folks think the entire bible is the literally true, unblemished, perfect word of God. I'm quite surprised you haven't come across any of those people yourself, especially here.

Im under assumption they trust the spiritual and moral value of it, regardless of whether man wrote it or not. I trust the prophets, when they wrote their books, interpreted the will of God, a will easier for them, specifically, to understand and see. I didn't think people literally held some of the verses/stories as EXACT truths. Naturally, I assume people look deeper than that.

Sonofason

In that case, your response to Alceste is... less than completely developed.

I remember using such debate tactics when I was a child.

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."
(Corinthians 13:11)

Instead of spouting ad hominems, how about you try to avoid using non sequiturs and actually put forth a valid argument?

I had asked Alceste to provide some evidence to support her claim that the sun predates the earth. She could not provide any. Instead, Alceste did what you are now doing, by degrading the converstaion with ad hominums and non sequiturs in the stead of evidence and a valid argument. Perhaps she forgets her claim. Perhaps you never understood her claim. But I saw it, and I demand she backs up her claim. What you do, I couldn't care less.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
According to the BBC, renowned for its documentaries, the planets and sun formed at the same time. They built off each other, to compose the solar system that we know today.