• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do some Atheists say Christianity is harmful?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
OK then.
So nothing to worry about.

I don't believe there is anything to worry about either. I consider my extensive study of the Bible and Christian theology to be an advantage that attributed to my deconversion. I essentially studied my way out of believing in the Bible and God. I explained my experience in my previous post, which is post #126.

What do you mean by that? What "hope" do you need?

Hope for a better future, hope for something greater than just chasing hedonistic desires. Hope, hope of eternal life in eternal bliss, forever, and ever and ever!!!!

What is this life without faith? its all meaningless suffering. But faith gives temporary suffering meaning.

Orbit

I'm a planet
SO WHY Would you deconvert, just why? How can you just say i dont believe anymore? You dont even fear hell or what?
I deconverted. It started out by wanting to know the truth of Christianity. I re-read Genesis, read secular and religious scholarship on the origins of the Bible and the stories in it, and researched the civilizations of the ancient Near East. I looked at history, mythology, and church history. In the end, I concluded that the Bible was not meant to be taken as literal truth, and claims withtin it were more didactic than factual. Hell isn't actually even Biblical. It's based on Dante's "Inferno" from the 1300s, but that's another topic.

danieldemol

Premium Member
What are you talking about? Priests are not wealthy.
How many have showed you their personal bank accounts? Aside from televangelists, priests at least in the catholic Church tend to get housing at the lower levels as far as I'm aware. Not to mention some of the prestigious places for the higher ups such as Vatican city.

I deconverted. It started out by wanting to know the truth of Christianity. I re-read Genesis, read secular and religious scholarship on the origins of the Bible and the stories in it, and researched the civilizations of the ancient Near East. I looked at history, mythology, and church history. In the end, I concluded that the Bible was not meant to be taken as literal truth, and claims withtin it were more didactic than factual. Hell isn't actually even Biblical. It's based on Dante's "Inferno" from the 1300s, but that's another topic.

Honestly if i would ever fully deconvert, which wont happen but lets assume i ever would lose faith. I would die, yes, at my own hands. Because the last suicide attempt was exactly at such a moment, i had huge doubts, and no hope anymore, no faith.

Only pain. Pain with no reason.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Some of us have been harmed by Christianity.

You really-truly know of no aspect of
Christianity ever harming anyone?

I've been an atheist before my conversion, i was way more miserable, i would not be alive today without faith. Being an atheist is miserable because you have no meaning in life.
Isn't Atheism the flip side of Pauline-Christianity, as most Western Atheism people were ex-Christians, please, right??

Regards

Orbit

I'm a planet
Honestly if i would ever fully deconvert, which wont happen but lets assume i ever would lose faith. I would die, yes, at my own hands. Because the last suicide attempt was exactly at such a moment, i had huge doubts, and no hope anymore, no faith.

Only pain. Pain with no reason.
If Christianity works for you, that's great. I would just remind you to remember that other experiences have value also.

If Christianity works for you, that's great. I would just remind you to remember that other experiences have value also.

There are no atheists in foxholes. Atheism only works if youre privileged, honestly. And then its only temporarily distractions too. As soon as youre aware of your mortality, pain and suffering, atheism seems depressing, meaningless.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Become a Wicca Evangelist :p

Nah. My evangelistic preaching days are over. Now I believe it's wrong for me to try and convert people to my preferred religion. Live and let live. I'm not bothered by what other people believe spiritually unless they attempt to impose their beliefs on me or on others or if they use their beliefs to be abusive.

I deconverted from Christianity as well (I feel so much healthier and happier now).

Me too.

danieldemol

Premium Member
What is this life without faith? its all meaningless suffering. But faith gives temporary suffering meaning.
I'd just like to point out you dont need faith in the Catholic Church to have faith.

In my view universalism gives an even better hope, because in universalism you dont have to think of your non-Catholic friends in the eternal deep frier.

I'd just like to point out you dont need faith in the Catholic Church to have faith.

In my view universalism gives an even better hope, because in universalism you dont have to think of your non-Catholic friends in the eternal deep frier.

i dont have non-christian friends, nor was i ever in doubt of Gods just and merciful judgement. SO i do not worry.