• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do some Atheists say Christianity is harmful?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I'm going to ignore the incorrect assumption about Judaism in order to focus on the main point:

Intellectual mistakes have nothing to do with ethics or justice. You are morally evaluating something that is not a moral issue.

I'm posting my previous response to one of your posts in case you missed it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
And how is sexual purity exactly a bad thing? I dont see how Christianity can be harmful at all. So why do they claim it?
I don't believe that sexual purity is bad either, but I don't think hat is the reason atheists consider Christianity harmful.
I think more of it is about Christians threatening people with hell if they don't believe Jesus died for our since, stuff like that.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The notion of "sexual purity" is I think anti-sex and is therefore anti-human
That depends upon what he means by sexual purity. I don't think he means no sex under any circumstances, just no sex out of wedlock.
To have a notion of sexual purity one must necessarily have a notion of sexual impurity which I think is most unhealthy
I do not believe no sex out of wedlock is unhealthy. In fact I think that sex out of wedlock is unhealthy, maybe not physically unhealthy but spiritually unhealthy.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
With ex-homosexual i mean i try to live a celibate life now. Although it can get lonely sometimes. Its better than to burn in hell for eternity.
You mean you were never homosexual, just sexual, and now you are celibate?
I am also celibate since I am no longer married, since my husband passed on last year.
I am not lonely at all and I don't need sex. I have so many better things to do.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Its nto fair to be angry at God just because other people hurt you. Thats not being very mature.

You can reject God all you want, and he wont force you to heaven. But in the end that also means you will never feel his love again, if you dont repent.

Btw i was raised very authoritarian, and i didnt blame God for it. No actually im glad my parents raised me this way.
Authoritarianism is unhealthy for the psyche.

You mean you were never homosexual, just sexual, and now you are celibate?
I am also celibate since I am no longer married, since my husband passed on last year.
I am not lonely at all and I don't need sex. I have so many better things to do.

nah, im sexually and romantically attracted to other men, always have been. So you agree, you dont need a partner? So why is lgbtq pushing for same sex marriage etc.? If its absolutely unecessary?

So i guess we can all agree gay marriage etc. is unecessary? You dont need a partner, its simple if youre not gonna procreate anyway.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Hope for a better future, hope for something greater than just chasing hedonistic desires. Hope, hope of eternal life in eternal bliss, forever, and ever and ever!!!!

What is this life without faith? its all meaningless suffering. But faith gives temporary suffering meaning.
There is no reason that atheists cannot have the same hopes. If a person just leads a hedonistic lifestyle as an atheist or as a Christian is on them. And eternal life would probably not be what you think that it is.

Faith is just lying to ourselves to accept what we should not be accepting all too often.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There are no atheists in foxholes. Atheism only works if youre privileged, honestly. And then its only temporarily distractions too. As soon as youre aware of your mortality, pain and suffering, atheism seems depressing, meaningless.
It sounds as if you put yourself in a bad place and then went looking for a scapegoat. And why slander atheists? I could just as easily slander Christians. But if I did that I would be as bad as you are.

as for overcoming homosexuality, i agree its hard, especially if theres a guy youre attracted to, and he actually likes you back. While i never had technically a boyfriend, i had something close to that.

And its very hard to overcome this attraction, i know.

InChrist

Free4ever
Obviously not all Atheists claim this, most atheists dont really care about ones faith. However there are some atheists who claim Christianity is harmful as a religion. They tend to be more on the antitheist side.

My question is why? And how? How is christianity in any way form or shape harmful? Some say its because of the strict rules, but how is that bad? How are rules who lead to a better society bad?

And how is sexual purity exactly a bad thing? I dont see how Christianity can be harmful at all. So why do they claim it?
Well, for one thing any non-believer is spiritually blind. I was before I came to know Jesus Christ.
Besides that though, there are wolves in sheep’s clothing who claim to be Christians, yet have truly abused others and caused a lot of harm and damage to people’s lives. In doing so, they have trashed the name of Jesus and Christianity