• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do some Atheists say Christianity is harmful?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I deconverted. It started out by wanting to know the truth of Christianity. I re-read Genesis, read secular and religious scholarship on the origins of the Bible and the stories in it, and researched the civilizations of the ancient Near East. I looked at history, mythology, and church history. In the end, I concluded that the Bible was not meant to be taken as literal truth, and claims withtin it were more didactic than factual. Hell isn't actually even Biblical. It's based on Dante's "Inferno" from the 1300s, but that's another topic.

It was a matter of taking off the rose-colored glasses and being honest with myself that convinced me to deconvert from Christianity.

danieldemol

Premium Member
i dont have non-christian friends, nor was i ever in doubt of Gods just and merciful judgement. SO i do not worry.
Yeah, but in my view universalism still offers better hope, because if Christianity is not the whole truth you could end up in the deep friar with a monster God that doesn't offer reliable evidence then judges people for misunderstanding.

In universalism that is not so as no one ends in the deep frier no matter what they believe.

Better than trying to kill Jews because you have an unfounded worry for their souls I believe.

I don't think the two things were related. But, as I said, if your religion helps you, that's great. Just stop judging and stereotyping people who don't share it.

Now am i trully happy now? NO, its kind of hard to be happy if your in constant chronic pain, chronic fatigue and other issues. My life sucks, and i guess it will always suck. But my faith keeps me from completely despairing.

Just like Job God is obviously testing me.

Yeah, but in my view universalism still offers better hope, because if Christianity is not the whole truth you could end up in the deep friar with a monster God that doesn't offer reliable evidence then judges people for misunderstanding.

In universalism that is not so as no one ends in the deep frier no matter what they believe.

Better than trying to kill Jews because you have an unfounded worry for their souls I believe.

Then so be it, if i go to hell, i would only blame myself, and i would praise God even in hell, truly.

I will praise Him no matter what happens to me, because He is the Lord of Everything, and only He alone deserves Praise, no one else.

So you are into victim blaming and a self loather as I see it.

Can you see why those with a little more self esteem are not interested in your religion?

Because theyre prideful? They think theyre great themselves, even theyre nothing, and probably just evil wicked people? Yeah i get it, its ego.

Were all evil though without God. Never tell yourself youre good enough. Always room for improvements

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
But how can one be happier without meaning in life?

I don't "not have meaning".

I have more meaning now then I did before. I see Wonder and Awe in all things. I Love the squirrels, trees, spirits and people around me with the same love I have for myself.

My Gods give me strength, hope, and wisdom. The ability to walk between worlds and be at one with the dualistic nature of man.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I don't think the two things were related. But, as I said, if your religion helps you, that's great. Just stop judging and stereotyping people who don't share it.

I don't think the two things are related either. I was a devout Christian for thirty years, and I was miserable. I suffered from years of depression, confusion, guilt, anxiety, an eating disorder, and I was suicidal at times. My experience with Christianity was a horrible nightmare that I thought would never end.

I genuinely believed in God and diligently sought him for forty years. I dedicated my life to him through prayer, worship, ministries, evangelism, and Bible study, only to end up empty-handed, heartbroken, and disillusioned. I never felt peace in my life, as other Christians claimed to feel it in theirs. I didn't feel the presence of God as other Christians claimed to. I felt confused, angry, and hopeless. I played church in the hope that I would start to feel something—anything that indicated to me that God is real and that he cares about me. I didn't feel peace and joy in my life until after I renounced my belief in God and left Christianity. I finally experienced peace and freedom from emotional bondage. I never felt either one during all the years I was a Christian, despite years of sincere prayer, reading and studying the Bible, genuine devotion to serving God, and serving God in church ministries and as an evangelism team leader. I merely went through the motions and played church. I appeared to be a joyful Christian on the outside, but on the inside, I was bereft of hope, joy, and inner peace. I was hurting and suffering, and no one knew about my misery other than my husband. I'm not exaggerating when I say that being a Christian was a horrible nightmare for me (read my prior post here). I'm truly relieved to be free of it, and I have no desire whatsoever to ever return to it.

Oh and yes you obviously noticed i dont like modern Judaism. Obviously i dont, because Judaism is a very anti-christian force nowadays.

I don't think the two things are related either. I was a devout Christian for thirty years, and I was miserable. I suffered from years of depression, guilt, confusion, anxiety, an eating disorder, and I was suicidal at times. My experience with Christianity was a horrible nightmare that I thought would never end.

I genuinely believed in God and diligently sought him for forty years. I dedicated my life to him through prayer, worship, ministries, evangelism, and Bible study, only to end up empty-handed, heartbroken, and disillusioned. I never felt peace in my life, as other Christians claimed to feel it in theirs. I didn't feel the presence of God as other Christians claimed to. I felt confused, angry, and hopeless. I played church in the hope that I would start to feel something—anything that indicated to me that God is real and that he cares about me. I didn't feel peace and joy in my life until after I renounced my belief in God and left Christianity. I finally experienced peace and freedom from emotional bondage. I never felt either one during all the years I was a Christian, despite years of sincere prayer, reading and studying the Bible, genuine devotion to serving God, and serving God in church ministries and as an evangelism team leader. I merely went through the motions and played church. I appeared to be a joyful Christian on the outside, but on the inside, I was bereft of hope, joy, and inner peace. I was hurting and suffering, and no one knew about my misery other than my husband. I'm not exaggerating when I say that being a Christian was a nightmare for me (see my post here). I'm truly relieved to be free of it, and I have no desire whatsoever to ever return to it.

Dont blame God or other christians, blame only yourself. Like i do. Remember its your fault, always.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I don't "not have meaning".

I have more meaning now then I did before. I see Wonder and Awe in all things. I Love the squirrels, trees, spirits and people around me with the same love I have for myself.

My Gods give me strength, hope, and wisdom. The ability to walk between worlds and be at one with the dualistic nature of man.

I found inner peace in Wicca and Druidry. I never felt this in all the years I was a Christian or before. It has been a very positive and liberating experience.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
How come Jews believe in a more merciful God than we Christians? To be fair your God basically doesnt care about justice anymore, just mercy.
I'm going to ignore the incorrect assumption about Judaism in order to focus on the main point:

Intellectual mistakes have nothing to do with ethics or justice. You are morally evaluating something that is not a moral issue.