• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do You Reject Jesus?

Tamino

What is your reason for not accepting Jesus Christ as your lord and savior?
He had his chance with me, I followed him as a child. Then I grew up and started asking questions, and he had no answers for me.
And in my darkest hours, it was another that reached out and saved me, so I follow Her now.
The one who saves us all from eternal death—separation from God
Not by my theology. The Gods are a part of this world, we have never been truly separate .
—according to the Holy Bible.
The bible is but a tiny piece of the mythological and philosophical legacy of the ancient world. I prefer some of the older texts and concepts.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
He had his chance with me, I followed him as a child. Then I grew up and started asking questions, and he had no answers for me.
You and many others.
And in my darkest hours, it was another that reached out and saved me, so I follow Her now.
Who was that?
The bible is but a tiny piece of the mythological and philosophical legacy of the ancient world.
Truer words were never spoken.
I prefer some of the older texts and concepts.
I prefer some of the newer texts and concepts.

Tamino

Who was that?
HatHor, the Golden One, Lady of Dendera ... and I totally didn't see that coming, I never liked Ancient Egypt all that much as a child. But then I travelled to Egypt and my soul never left again.
I prefer some of the newer texts and concepts.
Fair enough. Me too, in some ways - my modern education sure informs my perspective on the ancient texts.

Whateverist

No indoctrination is necessary to become fully human.

That is ripe with assumption which your approach is willfully blind toward.

What the world is is reducible to simple facts.

in a simple chemical sense that is true. Is that all there is to the world? Is it simply a larder of resources for us to plunder?

I think the way the world affects and shapes us is also important.

Why we are here is a philosophical question that implies a creator

Not for me. Perhaps the gestalt of the world includes meanings not reducible to a finite number of facts about its parts.

Philosophy classes generally aren't indoctrination because they're not pushing one worldview on you without having you question it.

Not on a finer scale but given the prevalence of anayltic philosophy and a reluctance to see purpose or meaning as anything more than things we make up or arbitrarily choose there is a whole lot of broad stroke indoctrination going on which we almost don't notice because it is so mainstream and prevalent.

Indoctrination does not involve being shown the ropes and critiquing various approaches.

Some things can't be taught as book learning. Swimming is one, but conversation, values and love are others. All of these involve jumping in getting started. Feedback is needed but there is no set of instructions which would lead to instant mastery. Philosophy is very much this way.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
That is ripe with assumption which your approach is willfully blind toward.
There is no assumption or willful blindness, sorry. Indoctrination is not necessary to be human.
in a simple chemical sense that is true. Is that all there is to the world? Is it simply a larder of resources for us to plunder?
It would be easier to use concrete terms instead of these attempts at poetic ones that make communication more difficult.

Yes, that is all there is to the world.
I think the way the world affects and shapes us is also important.
Maybe, but then it would depend on what you mean.
Not for me. Perhaps the gestalt of the world includes meanings not reducible to a finite number of facts about its parts.
Again, this would be easier without the attempt at poetic language. If there is a "why", then it implies there is some other intelligent being that had a plan.
Not on a finer scale but given the prevalence of anayltic philosophy and a reluctance to see purpose or meaning as anything more than things we make up or arbitrarily choose there is a whole lot of broad stroke indoctrination going on which we almost don't notice because it is so mainstream and prevalent.
Philosophy classes generally aren't indoctrination because they're not pushing one worldview on you without having you question it.
Some things can't be taught as book learning. Swimming is one, but conversation, values and love are others. All of these involve jumping in getting started. Feedback is needed but there is no set of instructions which would lead to instant mastery. Philosophy is very much this way.
This isn't a question of "book learning" vs. other learning. Swimming can be taught without indoctrination. Conversation can be taught without indoctrination. Same with values and love. This isn't about a set of instructions of instant mastery. It's about whether you're educating or indoctrinating. As I said, philosophy addresses the "big questions" but in an educational way, rather than through indoctrination.

Sargonski

So instead you replace it with your own ridiculous nonsense?

FYI, spelling the name of HaShem is a big no no for Jewish people.

I did not replace it with anything ... I am asking you what you think the core of Judaism is ? The fact that YHWH was killed by Marduk may or not be relevant.. what is ridiculous nonsense is you having no idea that this was the case .. upon the destruction of the Place where the HaShem's name resided.

Sargonski

Judaism is a monotheistic faith with many core beliefs and practices:
  • God
    Jews believe in one God, Yahweh, who is eternal, incorporeal, and all-powerful.

Did you miss the part where YHWH died ? .. and the Israelite YHWH was neither eternal, incorporal nor all powerful .. on the contrary this God was quite fallable .. with the most petty of human and nasty of human characteristics .. Nothing like the God of Judaism Who's name is was kept a secret .. this adding to the mystery.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Did you miss the part where YHWH died ? .. and the Israelite YHWH was neither eternal, incorporal nor all powerful .. on the contrary this God was quite fallable .. with the most petty of human and nasty of human characteristics .. Nothing like the God of Judaism Who's name is was kept a secret .. this adding to the mystery.
I don’t think this is what Jewish people believe. Although I’m not very knowledgeable about the subject.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
What is your reason for not accepting Jesus Christ as your lord and savior? The one who saves us all from eternal death—separation from God—according to the Holy Bible.
It's not that I reject Jesus. It's that I reject Christian claims about Jesus. I see Jesus as a fellow Jew just like me. I'm pretty sure he is rolling over in his grave at how Christians have made him into their god.

If you would like me to go into more detail exactly what claims I am referring to and why I don't accept them, just ask. I just don't want to bore you needlessly. :)

Jimmy

Veteran Member
It's not that I reject Jesus. It's that I reject Christian claims about Jesus. I see Jesus as a fellow Jew just like me. I'm pretty sure he is rolling over in his grave at how Christians have made him into their god.

If you would like me to go into more detail exactly what claims I am referring to and why I don't accept them, just ask. I just don't want to bore you needlessly. :)
He’s not in a grave. He’s the living lord. I’m sure Jesus was humble but was also aware of who he was and his power.

“I am the resurrection and the life.” – John 11:25
^^^This says it all^^^

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I'm sure that you already understand that as a Jew I do not accept NT as authoritative, just as you do not accept the Quran.
Absolutely. We all follow what we follow for the sense of camaraderie and to be able to relate to the majority and discuss spiritual matters and not feel weird about it.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I'm sure that you already understand that as a Jew I do not accept NT as authoritative, just as you do not accept the Quran.
I do accept the New Testament as authoritative because I do believe Jesus was authority. Again I refer you to this. “I am the resurrection and the life.” – John 11:25 To me this sounds pretty authoritative.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I do accept the New Testament as authoritative because I do believe Jesus was authority. Again I refer you to this. “I am the resurrection and the life.” – John 11:25 To me this sounds pretty authoritative.
Well since we are sharing...
Numbers 23:19 God is not a man nor a son of man.
1 Samuel 15:29 He is not a man.
Job 9:32 He is not a man.
Hosea 11:9 I am God, and not a man

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Well since we are sharing...
Numbers 23:19 God is not a man nor a son of man.
1 Samuel 15:29 He is not a man.
Job 9:32 He is not a man.
Hosea 11:9 I am God, and not a man
Right, he’s a God;)

…but is that Jesus or god talkin? That makes a difference