• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you think the Jews rejected Jesus?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
They wanted a military leader as a messiah, and Jesus didn't fit that bill.
The fact that He seems to have been referred to as a Messiah during His lifetime is one thing that suggests to me that He actually was a military leader. 1st century Judea had many guerilla warriors fighting against the Roman occupation and the Jewish lackeys who profited from helping them stay in control. Jesus was executed for treason by Pilate.
But, of course, His Apostles couldn't tell a Roman agent like Saul of Tarsus any of that. The version of the Jesus legend that they gave him became a new religion when he went out proselytizing in the name of Jesus the Christ.
It came to be known as Christianity. Eventually.
Tom

meghanwaterlillies

The religious leaders rejected Him out of envy and was afraid if he was accepted as the Messiah, they would lose their position as the religious leaders of the Jews. The people rejected Him because the religious leaders rejected them. The Jews today reject Him because He did not fulfill some of the Messianic prophecies.
He did not fulfill some of the Messianic prophecies... the beauty was always finding it there, the miss holding... you wouldn't need religious leaders in a common sense yet at the same time it's right in the middle of the story too.

Deidre

Much like today, people simply have different beliefs. It just seemed to be taken so seriously back then, if you didn't believe what people thought you should lol

David T

Premium Member
Jesus doesn't really fit Jewish theology. To begin with you really needed a new theology if you are going to accept Jesus as Messiah and Son of God.
Jewish theology btw is like Christian theology a reductive narrative about narrative. Its possible to create a conflict of two reductive views that spin into their own separate commumal understanding. The question becomes was Jesus a reductionist?

meghanwaterlillies

Jewish theology btw is like Christian theology a reductive narrative about narrative. Its possible to create a conflict of two reductive views that spin into their own separate commumal understanding. The question becomes was Jesus a reductionist?
No I'm told he was a blessed heathen.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Why do you think the Jews rejected Jesus? The new testament seems to suggest the jews who rejected Jesus were just arrogant but i'm not sure I buy that.
I have heard that Jesus didn't fulfill any of the prophecies the Jews determined are messianic. The emphasis there is on the fact that the Jews determined the passages like Isaiah 53 actually reference Israel or a specific person in the Tanakh.

David T

Premium Member
Much like today, people simply have different beliefs. It just seemed to be taken so seriously back then, if you didn't believe what people thought you should lol
Yes indeed but at least we all believe, we need more "trust in god." What I could do with 50,000 more trust in God's by golly..then I would really be trusting god!!! I should have
No I'm told he was a blessed heathen.
ha!!!! agreed. lol

Kapalika

Premium Member
An interesting way of looking it, it's better to ask what differences in interpretation and belief play into why some people accept Jesus and other's dont.

omega2xx

He did not fulfill some of the Messianic prophecies... the beauty was always finding it there, the miss holding... you wouldn't need religious leaders in a common sense yet at the same time it's right in the middle of the story too.

I see you identify yourself as a Christian. Do you not believe in the second coming of Jesus. Isit possible He will fulfill them then?

roger1440

I do stuff

Actually He fulfilled many of them. He will fulfill the rest when He comes again.
Wow, sounds pretty convincing to me. Can you give me one single prophecy Jesus fulfilled? Please explain the prophecy and how Jesus fulfilled it. The fulfillment must be self-evident. In other words I should be able to see it with my very own eyes. You cannot use the Bible to prove the Bible. I’ll give an example. It is commonly believed the Messiah will rebuild the Temple. If I go to Israel at this very moment will I see a rebuilt Temple? Another prophecy is world peace. If I look around me, will I see world peace?

Tumah

Veteran Member
First, I think we must be careful not to refer to the Jews collectively since all the first Christians were Jews. Secondly, Jesus did not conform to the Jewish expectation of messiah which was not a God-man that preached love,but one powerful who would restore Israel to the times of David. I think that's one reason Judas betrayed Jesus, he did not fit with Jewish expectation.
Although I don't disagree with your point, I think the character of Judas was made up to represent the Judes' denial of Jesus would lead to their destruction.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do you think the Jews rejected Jesus? The new testament seems to suggest the jews who rejected Jesus were just arrogant but i'm not sure I buy that.

Clearly the Jews I have spoken to believe that not one single prophecy from the Tanakh has been fulfilled by Jesus.

The expectation of worldly king aspiring to the Davidic throne has been mentioned. Elijah was expected to return and so John the Baptist who said he wasn't Elijah but was according to Christ probably didn't fill the Jews with excitement about Messianic prophecies being fulfilled.

Here's a few more prophecies that the Jews would claim have not been fulfilled.

Messiah in Judaism - Wikipedia

Many of us here would agree that most of the ones listed in the link were not fulfilled by Christ.

Prophecies tend to be circumstantial and although constitute a proof, are not the best proof IMHO.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Because when the guards securing Jesus tomb...
You're neglecting all the claims the NT makes for him until he died.
Therefore, the Jews do not believe in Jesus being resurrected as ultimate proof of His being their promised Messiah in fulfillment of prophecy!
There is no messianic prophecy where the messiah is ressurected. So neing ressurected does not a proof of messiah-ship make.