• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you think the Jews rejected Jesus?

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do you think the Jews rejected Jesus?
They did not. They simply viewed his opinion as one of many, and in principle they kept his commands. Hence they did not reject him.

The NT was never meant to be a text on being a Christian, so the issue is confused when the world is full of churches which claim to recreate a lost Christianity using only that. They therefore get a very skewed view of Judaism and of Jews. In addition there is a phenomenon called paid clergy, an entire class of many thousands of people whose livelihoods depend upon silencing dissent even if it means framing 'The Jews'. It think the existence of paid clergy brings into question its opinions, so again there is no real crisis of the Jews rejecting Jesus. I doubt they will complain if Jesus succeeds, and Jesus himself says "Whoever is not against us is for us." (gospels)

The new testament seems to suggest the jews who rejected Jesus were just arrogant but i'm not sure I buy that.
No, it suggests that he harshly judges the Pharisees, the Sadducees and the leadership of his day. Jews always do that. Actually it is best to address different parts of the NT separately on this topic, not the NT as a whole.

meghanwaterlillies

if I say I like the jews;
Something else comes along some reason they flood eugenics and their ideas, I'm supposed to conform to it. Is everyone inside their head fighting for a small piece of land in a desert?
Like the stimuli they put out is everything from 6 toed foots. I couldn't even control the postings or choose my own settings about it. So they want to me to mutate or evolve another toe?
Then everything from Muslims' ideas shortly there after.
Even the Catholics wanted me to mutate.
It's weird that they want some evolution.
......maybe they want to grow or evolve their own piece of land, literal volcanoes do that, not me.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
From what I gather Jesus's geneology is what disqualifies him from the bloodline of David. Joseph was never the father due to the account being a virgin birth.

I'm guessing it's one key point as why Jesus is not overly recognized in the traditional Jewish faith as a messiah.

pearl

First, I think we must be careful not to refer to the Jews collectively since all the first Christians were Jews. Secondly, Jesus did not conform to the Jewish expectation of messiah which was not a God-man that preached love,but one powerful who would restore Israel to the times of David. I think that's one reason Judas betrayed Jesus, he did not fit with Jewish expectation.

pearl

I'm guessing it's one key point as why Jesus is not overly recognized in the traditional Jewish faith as a messiah.

Jesus was born of a Jewish woman, he was Jewish. But He did not fit the requirement to be from the house of David, which is where Joseph comes in.

pearl

No, it suggests that he harshly judges the Pharisees, the Sadducees and the leadership of his day. Jews always do that.

Especially the Prophets, most of whom were murdered by the Jewish establishment. Jesus was murdered by the Roman and Jewish establishments.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Why do you think the Jews rejected Jesus? The new testament seems to suggest the jews who rejected Jesus were just arrogant but i'm not sure I buy that.
Christianity is a reinterpretation of the Tanakh in believing the Jesus version of it.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Why do you think the Jews rejected Jesus? The new testament seems to suggest the jews who rejected Jesus were just arrogant but i'm not sure I buy that.
It is impossible to say what, if anything, any large number of Jews heard of about Jesus. But He didn't match the predictions for a messiah much at all. And claims for His divinity clearly violate the 1st Commandment pretty blatantly. Of course Jews would reject such teachings.
Tom

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Jesus was born of a Jewish woman, he was Jewish. But He did not fit the requirement to be from the house of David, which is where Joseph comes in.
Joseph was never the father. Adopted yes. Bloodline no.

Is Jewish ancestry based on adoption or bloodline when it come to a matter of being a messiah?

Wasn't it supposed to be the bloodline of David according to the scriptures narrative, not referencing adoption through the geneology of David?

If I remember correctly, blood was a key component throughout Abrahamic faiths.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There are several reasons, they have been posted above but for what it's worth, my view is the Jews were there, the Christians weren't

pearl

Wasn't it supposed to be the bloodline of David according to the scriptures narrative, not referencing adoption through the geneology of David?

First, I think the genealogies are of human construct. Jesus' Jewish 'bloodline' is established through Mary. The concern is what tribe she belonged to, and that was the tribe of Levi, the messiah must be from the tribe of Judah, as was Joseph.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Especially the Prophets, most of whom were murdered by the Jewish establishment. Jesus was murdered by the Roman and Jewish establishments.
The comment is addressed to me. The Jews would rather not be involved in the story, but lucky them. First its important Jesus be a Jew, because it establishes that he has lived a righteous life the best one possible. This provides the background for the judgment against his flesh, which is the judgment of death against all people. According to Hebrews and Romans his righteous life plus his unrighteous body provide the way for a precedent in favor of saving the corrupt human race. If we, living by the spirit, put to death the deeds of the flesh then we live. That's atonement.

Jesus is found by God worthy of death even though he has done nothing wrong. His conviction by court is fallacious yet just. According to Hebrews Jesus has sin in his flesh and is perfected at his resurrection. According to Romans he has the law of sin in his flesh. Jesus does not speak out in his own defense, and by so doing he agrees with his sentence. As a Jew his is required to speak out if he knows he is innocent. Consider that a Jew who is sentenced to death falsely is morally required to object, but Jesus does not. Why not? Hebrews and Romans claim its because he is guilty through his human nature. His silence makes his death possible. The Jews make it official. The Romans make it cruel. God makes it just.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

He was challenging the established religious tradition, and leaders. And NO, I don't mean he was preaching a different religion. He tells us he was not. He tells us they had moved to "letter-of-the-Law" rather than understanding and compassion, within the Law.

He was claiming to be the awaited Jewish Messiah. They had already had several men claim such, - and die.

He was not from the correct line, - not descended from King David.

He did not fulfill the Messiah Prophecies.

I don't believe he ever claimed to be God, or part of a trinity, etc. They came up with those ideas after his death.

Servant James

God is Love
Because when the guards securing Jesus tomb reported the miraculous occasion of His resurrection to the chief priests what they had observed, they were paid a large sum of money to lie about it and were protected by the priests so they wouldn't be executed for dereliction of duty. Therefore, the Jews do not believe in Jesus being resurrected as ultimate proof of His being their promised Messiah in fulfillment of prophecy!

"In the end of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulcher. And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow: And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men...."
"Now when they were going, behold, some of the watch came into the city, and shewed unto the chief priests all the things that were done. And when they were assembled with the elders, and had taken counsel, they gave large money unto the soldiers, Saying, Say ye, His disciples came by night, and stole him away while we slept. And if this come to the governor's ears, we will persuade him, and secure you. So they took the money, and did as they were taught: and this saying is commonly reported among the Jews until this day." Matt 28:1-4; 11-15 (KJV)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Because when the guards securing Jesus tomb reported the miraculous occasion of His resurrection to the chief priests what they had observed, they were paid a large sum of money to lie about it ...
You now how we Jews are; it's always about the money ...

... at least according to a piece of absurd apologetics penned many decades later by the anonymous author that gave us the virgin birth and the bodies of many saints crawling out of their grave. Who could possibly doubt such a source?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Because when the guards securing Jesus tomb reported the miraculous occasion of His resurrection to the chief priests what they had observed, they were paid a large sum of money to lie about it and were protected by the priests so they wouldn't be executed for dereliction of duty. Therefore, the Jews do not believe in Jesus being resurrected as ultimate proof of His being their promised Messiah in fulfillment of prophecy!

"In the end of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulcher. And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow: And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men...."
"Now when they were going, behold, some of the watch came into the city, and shewed unto the chief priests all the things that were done. And when they were assembled with the elders, and had taken counsel, they gave large money unto the soldiers, Saying, Say ye, His disciples came by night, and stole him away while we slept. And if this come to the governor's ears, we will persuade him, and secure you. So they took the money, and did as they were taught: and this saying is commonly reported among the Jews until this day." Matt 28:1-4; 11-15 (KJV)

The problem is that you only have a story. Such an event would have been written about by others if it actually happened.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Because he fulfilled none of the messianic prophecies in the Tanach. Simple.

This, plain and simple.

The messiah will be a human, and will fulfill all of the prophecies within his lifetime. If he cannot, then he isn't the messiah.
There's no divine being who will do it the "second time around".

It's the same reason Simon Bar Kokhba, the Lubavitcher Rebbe, Moses of Crete, Sabbatai Zevi, and the dozens of other claimants have been proven false over the last two millennia.