• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Does Religion Exist

Why does religion exist

• 1-Superstition

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • 2-Tool of control

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • 3-To convey valuable life lessons

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • 4-Profound truth

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • 5-Other

Votes: 38 66.7%

• Total voters

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
paarsurrey said:

Why Does Religion Exist

" gundamentalism "

Is it a new denomination/movement of/within the Atheism people, please, right?!?
Or is it a synonym of Vandalism, right, please??!
Never heard this word before.
Right?

Regards

The news reports that he is a "devoted follower of prominent British atheist, Richard Dawkins", doesn't it give a clue of existence of many such hidden " devout followers of" Richard Dawkins, please, right; and if there happen to be many, then a movement, right, please??

Regards
Nope.

Atheism is arguably not even a movement at all.

Many of your questions seem to either assume or to want to believe that there is a lot indeed more of active effort in atheism than it is likely to ever muster - or want, or need.

That is a totally unrelated issue. The politics of gender identity has absolutely NOTHING to do with someone refusing to fix their English.

This isn’t about politics of any sort, and the fact that you think it is is evidence that you didn’t comprehend my post.

So stop beating your chest bragging about your facility with English. You’ll hurt yourself.

Politics of gender is a totally unrelated issue, which you brought up out of the blue.

I was talking about language.

Language has had pronouns for a long, long time.

When did pronouns become political?

We’ve been married for more than a quarter century.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
" gundamentalism "

Is it a new denomination/movement of/within the Atheism people, please, right?!?
Or is it a synonym of Vandalism, right, please??!
Never heard this word before.
The reason you have never heard this word before is because it doesn't exist.

idea

Question Everything
You don't think we could learn to bond without supernatural beliefs?

There are healthy, and unhealthy groups within all species, healthy "by the people for the people" grouos, and "by the queen for theQueen" groups.

You know how ant colonies are so united they behave like a single organism, or a superorganism? Such groupthink dynamics require something akin to an unquestioned all-powerful "queen."

Ant colonies,, and people colonies- consider phrases like "United through Christ", or "one body", lose yourself, join the borg, reject individual thought, obey the superorganism - groupthink is founded on heirarchies, on following a "higher" power.

Religion is group think, herd mentality, Star Trek's borg.

I've experienced it - groupthink, becoming one with a cult... it feels strong, safe, secure... until you realize you are an expendable slave, until group dynamics pulls you and your chikdren into a kool-aid drinking death spiral...

A natural phenomenon found in many species

Or,

Cults, religious groups, political groups, strange superorganisms to be part of. They really do take over your mind, you become convinced you are following a higher power.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
There are healthy, and unhealthy groups within all species, healthy "by the people for the people" grouos, and "by the queen for theQueen" groups.

You know how ant colonies are so united toward the common purposes of survival, growth, and reproduction that they behave like a single organism, or a superorganism. It takes a "queen."

Ant colonies,, and people colonies- consider phrases like "United through Christ", or "one body", lose yourself, join the borg, reject individual thought, obey the superorganism - groupthink is founded on heirarchies, on following a "higher" power.

Religion is grpup think, herd mentality, Star Trek's borg.

I expect to see us becoming more like the Borg in the future. The internet providing the mechanism for herd mentality.

idea

Question Everything
I expect to see us becoming more like the Borg in the future. The internet providing the mechanism for herd mentality.

Healthy vs unhealthy-
The Borg in Star Trek, all assimilated into one giant mind, like a beehive. Efficient, sure, but a bit… well, creepy.

Now, a healthy group? That's a beautiful jazz riff, each member playing their own part, improvising, yet all grooving to the same beat. They share ideas, learn from each other, celebrate each other's solos – that's how you get real connection, without losing the magic of your own unique melody. It's all about finding the sweet spot – feeling the groove together while still keeping your own funky rhythm going.

Unite around ideas, not leaders. Loyal to principles, not loyal to any person.

I think the key to healthy groups is - no heirarchies, no dictator, no God, but instead united in principles - uphold honesty, justice, work ethic, pursuit of knowledge - principles not person, principles not "leader".

Heyo

Veteran Member
Humans are not like ungulates. We behave less like a herd, but more like a pack or tribe. Being one with the herd isn't enough, there also have to be "the other", we don't like.
You are right that the internet provides a mechanism for that, building echo chambers.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Healthy vs unhealthy-
The Borg in Star Trek, all assimilated into one giant mind, like a beehive. Efficient, sure, but a bit… well, creepy.

Now, a healthy group? That's a beautiful jazz riff, each member playing their own part, improvising, yet all grooving to the same beat. They share ideas, learn from each other, celebrate each other's solos – that's how you get real connection, without losing the magic of your own unique melody. It's all about finding the sweet spot – feeling the groove together while still keeping your own funky rhythm going.

Unite around ideas, not leaders. Loyal to principles, not loyal to any person.

I think the key to healthy groups is - no heirarchies, no dictator, no God, but instead united in principles - uphold honesty, justice, work ethic, pursuit of knowledge - principles not person, principles not "leader".

Maybe I didn't watch enough of the Borg but I expect that, that will be what it is like. We at some point identify a universal set of principles through out collective thinking and come to think of it as the only appropriate way of thinking. So it wouldn't be like being told to think a certain way. You yourself would accept it as the only way to go about thinking. Resistance to this way of thinking would be, as reasoned by your own individual mind, futile.

idea

Question Everything
Maybe I didn't watch enough of the Borg but I expect that, that will be what it is like. We at some point identify a universal set of principles through out collective thinking and come to think of it as the only appropriate way of thinking. So it wouldn't be like being told to think a certain way. You yourself would accept it as the only way to go about thinking. Resistance to this way of thinking would be, as reasoned by your own individual mind, futile.

Well, look at Mother Nature, She's been at this game for a good long time, eons of tinkering, changing, evolving, learning, perfecting, and what a glorious mess She's made :) A symphony of species, each with their own crazy tune to sing. Bridges of bone and sinew, woven through emerald jungles and sapphire oceans. The whole shebang, an endless improvisation, a cosmic jazz band with no sheet music.

Here's the thing, there's no true dogma, there's no single "correct" note in this grand improvisation. No one poem that captures the sunrise better than any other. No vacation spot that's the ultimate destination. Every mountain peak whispers its own secrets, every valley sings its own song. It's all good, see? A kaleidoscope.

So, smile like a Cheshire - enjoy the Infinite possibility stretched out before us, it's never-ending summers, autumns, winters, and springtime. No "right" anything, no single final destination, just the sheer joy of exploration. So grab your backpack, and head out into the glorious, messy unknown. There's a whole universe waiting to be discovered, one wild and wonderful experience at a time. :)

Muffled

Jesus in me
Depends on the definition of person..
..but certainly not 'person' as in human being :)
I believe there are several definitions. God would fit into the definition of one that has personality. Jesus fits into the person of human-being at least on an operational level. Most likely Jesus is humanoid which is a word that takes in a lot of different DNA characteristics.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Apart from some forms of Buddhism (which many would say is philosophy and not religion), can you give me an example of any religion that doesn't have supernatural beliefs?

Well, there is this first:

If you don't accept that as a start at all, I won't contuine.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Well, there is this first:

If you don't accept that as a start at all, I won't contuine.
It's not that I don't think it's a good source, it's that you expect me to go there and read through a long document when you could have more easily just typed name or two that I asked for. It's kind of insulting.