• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Does Religion Exist

Why does religion exist

• 1-Superstition

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • 2-Tool of control

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • 3-To convey valuable life lessons

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • 4-Profound truth

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • 5-Other

Votes: 35 66.0%

• Total voters

Clizby Wampuscat

Here are a few reasons you may or may not agree with.

1-Religion is a holdover of superstition from a time with limited scientific knowledge that we have since grow out of so it no longer has any value in our lives.

2-Religion is a tool is a tool that was and can be used to control the masses.

3-Religion contains valuable lessons like fables to aid people in their journey through life.

4-Religion is a profound truth that if understood leads one to a correct understanding of reality/the universe.

5-Other. A different reason for why religion exists which doesn't fit into any of the above. Please explain.
I went with other, they exist because people are convinced they are true.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
No, it is a self-identifying word in part.
How does that contradict anything I said?
For the people, that I link to, they have another understanding you or the person you link to.
And what understanding is that?
There is no objective standard of words like that.
The dictionary is the objective standard for what words in the English language mean.

From Oxford:
a·the·ist
/ˈāTHēəst/
noun
a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

From Merriam Webster:
atheist
noun
athe·ist ˈā-thē-ist
: a person who does not believe in the existence of a god or any gods : one who subscribes to or advocates atheism

From Dictonary.com
atheist
[ ey-thee-ist ]
noun
a person who does not believe in the existence of a supreme being or beings.
b person who believes that there is no supreme being or beings.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
How does that contradict anything I said?

And what understanding is that?

The dictionary is the objective standard for what words in the English language mean.

From Oxford:
a·the·ist
/ˈāTHēəst/
noun
a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

From Merriam Webster:
atheist
noun
athe·ist ˈā-thē-ist
: a person who does not believe in the existence of a god or any gods : one who subscribes to or advocates atheism

From Dictonary.com
atheist
[ ey-thee-ist ]
noun
a person who does not believe in the existence of a supreme being or beings.
b person who believes that there is no supreme being or beings.

Yeah, a dictorary denotes common usage. It doesn't state an obejctive fact.

Here is another understanding as per definitons given. Now plase understand it is not written by me. I just copy/paste and give the link. Notice the first word:
"
Definitions
Atheism is the comprehensive world view of persons who are free from theism and have freed themselves of supernatural beliefs altogether. It is predicated on ancient Greek Materialism.

Atheism involves the mental attitude that unreservedly accepts the supremacy of reason and aims at establishing a life-style and ethical outlook verifiable by experience and the scientific method, independent of all arbitrary assumptions of authority and creeds.

Materialism declares that the cosmos is devoid of immanent conscious purpose; that it is governed by its own inherent, immutable, and impersonal laws; that there is no supernatural interference in human life; that humankind, finding the resources within themselves, can and must create their own destiny. It teaches that we must prize our life on earth and strive always to improve it. It holds that human beings are capable of creating a social system based on reason and justice. Materialism’s ‘faith’ is in humankind and their ability to transform the world culture by their own efforts. This is a commitment that is, in its very essence, life-asserting. It considers the struggle for progress as a moral obligation that is impossible without noble ideas that inspire us to bold, creative works. Materialism holds that our potential for good and more fulfilling cultural development is, for all practical purposes, unlimited."

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
4-Religion is a profound truth that if understood leads one to a correct understanding of reality/the universe.
I would say that religions are profound truth that if understood leads one to a correct understanding of reality/the universe, but I do not think that applies to all the so-called religions, only to true religions. I believe that true religions are established by God through the Messengers of God who bring a revelation from God. I believe that all of true religions fulfill a particular purpose and once they have fulfilled that purpose they will be renewed by God, which entails God sending a new Messenger who establishes a new religion which is suitable for the age in which that religion is revealed.

“And now concerning thy question regarding the nature of religion. Know thou that they who are truly wise have likened the world unto the human temple. As the body of man needeth a garment to clothe it, so the body of mankind must needs be adorned with the mantle of justice and wisdom. Its robe is the Revelation vouchsafed unto it by God. Whenever this robe hath fulfilled its purpose, the Almighty will assuredly renew it. For every age requireth a fresh measure of the light of God. Every Divine Revelation hath been sent down in a manner that befitted the circumstances of the age in which it hath appeared.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 81

IndigoChild5559

Yeah, a dictorary denotes common usage. It doesn't state an obejctive fact.
Of course it does. The objective fact it is stating is how the word is used, meaning its definition.

And you CHERRY PICKED from your atheists.org website. If you look at what YOUR OWN WEBSITE states atheism is, here it is:

Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods.
Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Of course it does. The objective fact it is stating is how the word is used, meaning its definition.

And you CHERRY PICKED from your atheists.org website. If you look at what YOUR OWN WEBSITE states atheism is, here it is:

Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods.
Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

Yeah, they say 2 things on 2 different pages. BTW it is not my kind of atheism. I have another understanding than them and it is not my website.

So the word objective, what does that mean? Are there several defintions and how does it compare to subjective? You do the work and explain objective and how words work for meaning. Can a word for its actual meaning be objective as to the meaning?

In broader sense, what is a sub-culture and can sub-culture have different meanings of word, that are not registered?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Why Does Religion Exist

Yeah, they say 2 things on 2 different pages. BTW it is not my kind of atheism. I have another understanding than them and it is not my website.

So the word objective, what does that mean? Are there several defintions and how does it compare to subjective? You do the work and explain objective and how words work for meaning. Can a word for its actual meaning be objective as to the meaning?

In broader sense, what is a sub-culture and can sub-culture have different meanings of word, that are not registered?
Don't worry about the philosophical terminology of "objective " word and or "subjective " word, these only indicate the confusion of their wrong concepts, as their concepts are not " natural" , right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Why Does Religion Exist

The truthful Religion is to end the superstitious thoughts of either believing in many god, or altogether denying G-d, without compulsion, and with strong reasons, easy to understand, right?
The truthful Religion rather frees the human being from wrong controls, right?
Yes the truthful Religion to convey valuable life lessons regarding articles of faith, right?
And yes it, the truthful Religion, makes one steadfast on the profound truth of "One G-d", right?
Wisdom demands that our friends in humanity are not to worry about the philosophical terminology of "objective " and or "subjective " , these only indicate the confusion of those who coined these terms and or wrong concepts, as these concepts are not " natural" , right, please?

It is good to educate the children instead of leaving them blank and untrained, please, right?
I don't say that the bad effects of Indoctrinations, if any, are not to be cared against, right?
It is good to educate the children instead of leaving them blank in the wild to suffer, right?

Even Science says that Religion is good for one's health and peace of mind that is another positive reason
" Thus, there is ample reason to believe that faith in a higher power is associated with health, and in a positive way. For example, researchers at the Mayo Clinic concluded, “Most studies have shown that religious involvement and spirituality are associated with better health outcomes, including greater longevity, coping skills, and health-related quality of life (even during terminal illness) and less anxiety, depression, and suicide. Several studies have shown that addressing the spiritual needs of the patient may enhance recovery from illness."

Right?

Regards

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Why Does Religion Exist

The truthful Religion is to end the superstitious thoughts of either believing in many god, or altogether denying G-d, without compulsion, and with strong reasons, easy to understand, right?
Everyone thinks their own religion is truthful and other religions are lies. A Hindu polytheist would say that truthful religion ends the superstitious belief in only one God, denying the Hindu gods, etc.