• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why doesnt god kill Satan?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I am an agnostic, not atheist.

Though perhaps I could be consider an agnostic atheist. Which means I am doubtful that god exist, considering that I have no experience or seen no evidences of supreme being. Which could also be mean empirical agnostic or weak agnostic.

I am doubtful and very skeptical of the creation, the flood, resurrection and all those events that are called "miracles", but I can accept some of the Jewish laws, like do not murder, steal or commit adultery, or the Christian moral values, like having compassion for fellow man, not persecuting others.

My principles and moral conduct are as strong as any Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindu, etc, except for one thing, I don't require god or some other supernatural beings to dictate what I do with my life. I am quite responsible person, who take the consequence for my own actions. Are you saying I am not moral or responsible person?

As to your snide remark about atheists taking part in discussion or flying banner or so.

Don't you think agnostic or atheist could have a view in any given situation, whether it be religious nature or not?

My questions about have more than just "2 choices" are valid questions, thief.

Danmac put forward the question that you either side with God or with Satan, as if there are only 2 choices. But from my perspective, there is another one, which is my view, the most logical one for me -
I don't side either one of them.
And that's a perfectly valid answer. The reason being I have seen no evidence that either god or satan exist. I don't see why I should hold allegiance to Satan, simply because I choose not to follow God.

If you ask the same question to a Jew for example, you will get a different answer, altogether.

For a Jew there is only side to take, God's side. One side because Satan is in the same side as God, and because Satan is like Michael, Gabriel and other angels, Satan is an angel of god.

The Jews have a completely different view to Christians and Muslims with regards to Satan. Satan is not view as the Devil, like the way Christians do, because their view is that Satan is not fallen angel. That your myths, not their.

And lastly, Thief. The OP was created by non-Christian member. Anti-religion started this topic, so why do you think atheists should not even participate in the debate?

And believers should lend ear to non-believers?

But by all means stick around...you might learn something.

And making denial can be risky.
What if you're wrong?
Having denied the existence of God and Satan...
Are you not worthy a butt kicking from both sides?

They both have seriously dangerous reputations.

And of course you can make denial all you want.
But the topic question is worded with belief at hand.

Beaudreaux

Should He also suspend gravity to keep people from falling to their death? Should He eliminate water to keep people from drowning? Should He eliminate fire to keep people from burning to death?
Now, Danmac. You and I both know that this is a false argument. God does not have to suspend gravity to keep people from falling to their death, nor does he have to eliminate water to keep people from drowning, etc., etc. He is God. He can do anything.

Beaudreaux

The same reason He lets people like Adolph Hitler kill millions of people. Because they can. According to the Bible, God wants to help stop the pain and suffering, but people like you don't want His help. He is a gentleman. He will not force Himself on people that refuse His offer.
Oh really?!?! So, God is like a lifeguard who sees a child drowning. The child does not see the lifeguard and so does not ask for help. So, the lifeguard (being a REALLY nice guy) watches the child drown in a gentlemantly fashion? This is what it means to be perfectly good, right?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
The same reason He lets people like Adolph Hitler kill millions of people. Because they can. According to the Bible, God wants to help stop the pain and suffering, but people like you don't want His help. He is a gentleman. He will not force Himself on people that refuse His offer.

So your view is that God is too polite to prevent massive suffering and evil? What a schmuck!

Danmac

Oh really?!?! So, God is like a lifeguard who sees a child drowning. The child does not see the lifeguard and so does not ask for help. So, the lifeguard (being a REALLY nice guy) watches the child drown in a gentlemantly fashion? This is what it means to be perfectly good, right?

So would you like God to intervene the next time you are faced with potential suffering? Yes or no.

Last edited:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I will ask you the same question. The next time you are faced with potential suffering, would you like God to intervene? Yes or no.

Definitely yes, of course. Too bad He doesn't exist though, so I won't wait up for it.

But this thread is not about what I would like. It's about whether your fictional God is moral or immoral. He appears to be extremely immoral, based on any common conception of morality that includes preventing suffering.

btw, Danmac, did you notice again how considerate and fair it is of me to just answer your questions? Wouldn't it be great if you could do unto others and pay me the same courtesy? Thanks. For example, the one I just asked you.

Beaudreaux

So would you like God to intervene the next time you are faced with potential suffering? Yes or no.
God, if he is all loving and good, should intervene whenever anyone faces needless suffering. Consider the Asian Tsunami of 2004 or the Haitian earthquake. Hundreds of thousands of people died horrific deaths in pain and fear. Why would God not prevent that if he loved them?

Danmac

God, if he is all loving and good, should intervene whenever anyone faces needless suffering. Consider the Asian Tsunami of 2004 or the Haitian earthquake. Hundreds of thousands of people died horrific deaths in pain and fear. Why would God not prevent that if he loved them?

Will you answer the question?

Danmac

Definitely yes, of course. Too bad He doesn't exist though, so I won't wait up for it.

But this thread is not about what I would like. It's about whether your fictional God is moral or immoral. He appears to be extremely immoral, based on any common conception of morality that includes preventing suffering.

btw, Danmac, did you notice again how considerate and fair it is of me to just answer your questions? Wouldn't it be great if you could do unto others and pay me the same courtesy? Thanks. For example, the one I just asked you.

His intervention is dependent upon faith, in which you have none. Therefore you tie His hands.

Proverbs 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

You see, the stipulation is putting your trust in Him. The reason God doesn't intervene in human suffering is because of unbelief.

Ro 11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

He does however intervene with those who express faith in Him.

Psalm 91: 1 ¶ He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
3 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
6 Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
9 ¶ Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
10 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
11 For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.

We are not talking about religion here, but faith.

Hebrews11: 6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is God, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

So the world suffers because of unbelief. IMO

Thief

Rogue Theologian

The earth has been churning for a long long time.
It supports all life, that it does so.
It must stay that way.

Blame God that we happen to be in the way?
Really?

Smokeless Indica

<3 Damian Edward Nixon <3
I would like to know the reason.Is god testing us?or is Satan more powerful than God?

Thanks.

You can't have one without the other. If there wasn't one of them then there would be no reason for the other to exist. God needs Satan so people have something to fear and will do good and go to Heaven. Satan needs God because without God Satan wouldn't even exist. Or so I've been told. If there was no God then everyone would go to Hell and Satan wouldn't have the fun of trying to lead them into temptation.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

You have to hand it to Danmac, champion evader-of-questions-he-doesn't-like, for sheer chutzpah.

Danmac, are you at all familiar with the golden rule? Maybe you should start treating other posters as you would like to be treated.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
His intervention is dependent upon faith, in which you have none. Therefore you tie His hands.
Actually, his intervention is dependent on existing, which He doesn't.

Proverbs 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
O.K., you put your trust in Him, no? Why don't you try praying for Him to spare someone suffering, and see how well that works.
You see, the stipulation is putting your trust in Him. The reason God doesn't intervene in human suffering is because of unbelief.
Does he intervene in the suffering of believers at any greater rate than unbelievers?

So what you're saying is that not only is your God an impotent schmuck, he's also a great big jerk who cares more about Himself than anyone else. And you actually worship this being?
Ro 11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

He does however intervene with those who express faith in Him.
Instead of a Bible verse, how about some evidence of this actually happening?
Psalm 91: 1 ¶ He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
3 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
6 Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
9 ¶ Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
10 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
11 For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.

We are not talking about religion here, but faith.
Whatever. Either way it doesn't work. Pick your favorite amputee and pray for her severed limb to grow back and see how well it works. Hey, pick one with faith and see whether it makes any difference.

Hebrews11: 6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is God, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

So the world suffers because of unbelief. IMO
Again, if you were honest and humble, you would have said, "I believe the world suffers..."

So Hurricane Katrina struck the coast of Louisiana to punish unbelievers? Tell me the truth--do you actually believe these silly superstitions? For real? You don't think there's anything to this metereology thing?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
So Danmac, are you saying that God keeps Satan around on purpose to punish unbelievers? Is that your personal myth-system?

Beaudreaux

I have answered. Will you answer mine? Why would God not prevent the death and misery of hundreds of thousands?