• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Doesn't the World Call on Hamas to Surrender?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Throughout history, when one side of a war is losing, it's almost always the case that the losing side surrenders.
There are plenty of people who would fight to the death.
Why isn't the world calling on Hamas to surrender? If "the world" truly has humanitarian goals, the best way to stop civilian casualties in this war would be for Hamas to surrender.
For the same reason that there is no world outcry calling for Russia to return to its own land.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Are there reasons to tell myself the converse? If so, what are they? Here's my assertion restated for reference:

The qualifier above is bold and blue. I respectfully request that this qualifier is not omitted. It's extremely important to keep this in mind. Everything that is happening in Gaza rests on this fundemental necessity. Israel must have safe borders. No one is going to do it for us. We have to do it ourselves. No one is going to protect us. We have to protect ourselves.

Are there any reasons to believe that Israel's enemies will stop trying to exterminate us ... ever? Any reasons at all? Without safe borders, what is going to stop them?
To be clear, I don't think including or excluding the blue part changes much.

You're watching your country commit a series of atrocities against civilians. What Hamas did in October is evil. What Israel has done since is evil. I understand that there will be people who can't live with this and will choose to justify it in order the avoid the cognitive dissonance. For you, this is telling yourself that the alternative is much greater harm would result, Israel faces an existential threat and must have secure borders.

I'm from the UK, and witnessed the same behaviour before, during and after the invasions of Afghanistand and Iraq. We had to do what we did. Otherwise we would be under severe threat.

The truth is that choices were made to do evil that were not self-defence. Just like these bombs that are killing babies, destroying homes, schools, hospitals and refugee camps are not securing Israel's border.

Again, I can understand why you might tell yourself this, though.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
As long as there is no actual solution to the fact that there are 2 competing claims to the same land and the beliefs of parts of both sides, then yes, the killing won't stop.
Well, the one solution would be for the world to go end and defeat Israel like we did with Germany.
Perhaps Israel has stared into the heart of Hitler too long.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Well, the one solution would be for the world to go end and defeat Israel like we did with Germany.

Well, the problem is, that in some sense both sides has a point, but that is hard to solve, if neither side wants to compromise.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
And reward what happened on 10-7?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Throughout history, when one side of a war is losing, it's almost always the case that the losing side surrenders.

Why isn't the world calling on Hamas to surrender? If "the world" truly has humanitarian goals, the best way to stop civilian casualties in this war would be for Hamas to surrender.
Whilst I agree about you aimed outcomes, a 'win' for one side or the other solves nothing. There will be resentment and hurt on the losing side. What will Israel want for their 'victory'? All the Palestinian land?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Whilst I agree about you aimed outcomes, a 'win' for one side or the other solves nothing. There will be resentment and hurt on the losing side. What will Israel want for their 'victory'? All the Palestinian land?
It strikes me that the idea of "Palestinian land", is a difficult one to pin down. So called "Palestinians" have lived in the region for thousands of years. They lived in what is now Jordan and what is now Egypt. So what exactly is "Palestinian land"?

My sense of fairness leads me to think that a "Palestinian land" ought to be created by getting some of SW Jordan, some of SE Israel, and some of the NE Sinai and lumping those together. Because those other regions are nothing more than arbitrary constructs made up by Brits a hundred years ago.

And then we can tackle a homeland for the Kurds, another for the Yazidis, maybe one for the Coptics, and so on...

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Which is why Israel's weapons are so damn expensive. They are precision devices. If the USA were not helping then a lot more people would be dying. Intelligence plus precision weapons really do matter.
They are not using precision weapons! That's totally false! They brought carpet bombing back from the days of Vietnam.

The emphasis is on damage and not on accuracy,” Israel Defense Forces official Daniel Hagari said, according to Haaretz.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It would certainly restore my faith in humanity. That government of theirs needs to be gotten rid of at the very least. Nuttyyahoo and his cabinet need the same treatment we gave Saddam and for much less.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
What will Israel want for their 'victory'? All the Palestinian land?

Basically to stop the attacks by Hamas, free the hostages, and then work with other Middle Eastern elements to help those in Gaza form a Palestinian government not hellbent on destruction.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They are not using precision weapons! That's totally false! They brought carpet bombing back from the days of Vietnam.
https://www.cnn.com/gaza-israel-big-bombs/index.html
2000Lb penetrates deeply, saving lives. CNN withholds that the area is first warned to evacuate ahead of time. It also doesn't mention the enormous tunnels and potential dangers of sending soldiers underground. UN.

UN's got plenty of money, yet the other day they were advertising to me that I needed to send money to help people in Gaza. Basically it was the UN trying to play virtue after its been caught red handed working to enrich Hamas and set up all of these people to die in Gaza. UN isn't going to help them, just like it didn't for the past 20 years. The UN also pushes its own responsibility aside, taking no credit for what it has done nearly getting all of these people killed. This was a clear attempt to get Israel to massacre people, concerted. Instead Israeli soldiers have carefully been disarming Hamas and minimizing civilian casualties. The UN meantime has launched frivolous lawsuits.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
To be clear, I don't think including or excluding the blue part changes much.

You're watching your country commit a series of atrocities against civilians. What Hamas did in October is evil. What Israel has done since is evil. I understand that there will be people who can't live with this and will choose to justify it in order the avoid the cognitive dissonance. For you, this is telling yourself that the alternative is much greater harm would result, Israel faces an existential threat and must have secure borders.

I'm from the UK, and witnessed the same behaviour before, during and after the invasions of Afghanistand and Iraq. We had to do what we did. Otherwise we would be under severe threat.

The truth is that choices were made to do evil that were not self-defence. Just like these bombs that are killing babies, destroying homes, schools, hospitals and refugee camps are not securing Israel's border.

Again, I can understand why you might tell yourself this, though.

You don't think that Israel needs safe borders? You're telling me that my judgement is compromised and yours isn't, because....why? You believe the anti-Israel headlines by default and consider my point of view faulty by default? I must be wrong, because.... ?

Yerda

Veteran Member
You don't think that Israel needs safe borders?
I do.

You're telling me that my judgement is compromised and yours isn't, because....why?
I'm happy to call out evil wherever I see it. I believe you're rationalising because you don't want to accept that Israel is doing evil. I've seen this before.

You believe the anti-Israel headlines by default and consider my point of view faulty by default? I must be wrong, because.... ?
Because we can both see the wreckage from months of bombing. All the dead babies, women, men. The thirst and hunger of the hundreds of thousands of people who have been living in hell for months on end. Coralled from camp to camp, not knowing if they will be alive this time tomorrow. All the homes destroyed, the hospitals, the schools, the refugee camps.

You mention headlines, are you aware that the Israeli military has been targetting and killing journalists at an unprecedented rate? Even Putin does not murder the press like this. Why would they do that, do you think?