• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Dont Christians Accept the Book of Mormon as Valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
Really? Why don't you help us out here, Melissa. Tell us about Joseph Smith's education, particularly his education prior to 1829.

His education is not my concern, only his motives, and surely you don't need to know now now do, unless your very ignorant about your Prophet's background.

Yes, let's. How about we start by your explaining your reference to the plates as "magic." This would be helpful to us, since I'm sure none of us had any idea there was anything magic about them.

And this is a problem because?

Who said it was a problem ? my reference to magic, is one of referring to stage magic, where illusionists make things disappear, which is the illusion.

Considering the fact that Thomas Ford lived 800 miles from where the eight witnesses claimed to have seen the plates and that this event took place some 25 years prior to his writing the "History of Illinois," one can't help but wonder why you put such stock in what he has to say.

Because he's a credible source in my opinion.

And your attempt to discredit the LDS Church reminds me of the big bad wolf and the story of the "Three Little Pigs." Let's see... How'd that go? "And I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house down!" :D

Your very funny, I didn't realise LDS had a sense of humour :)

Polaris

MelissaG said:
Don't be stupid, I'm unversity educated....

Good then, further proof that intelligent and educated are not the same.

I quote my sources, I don't need to Justify them....

Just FYI but most people who engage in meaningful and intelligent debate are required to at least attempt to establish some credibility concerning their sources.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Melissa G said:
His education is not my concern, only his motives, and surely you don't need to know now now do, unless your very ignorant about your Prophet's background.
Apparently it was your concern until I asked you to substantiate your claims. Suddenly it becomes a non-issue. Whatever. Joseph Smith had a fourth grade education. If you know of any evidence to the contrary, present it. Otherwise, don't make statements you have no intention of supporting.

My reference to magic, is one of referring to stage magic, where illusionists make things disappear, which is the illusion.
I see. I guess the golden plates don't qualify as magic, then. Thanks for the explanation.

Because he's a credible source in my opinion.
Why? Obviously you must have a reason for your opinion.

Your very funny, I didn't realise LDS had a sense of humour :)
There are quite a number of things you don't realize about us. For one, our attitude towards people outside of our faith is very different from that of most Christians. We don't condemn others for believing differently than we do, and we believe that God loves all of His children equally, whether they be LDS, non-LDS Christians, Buddhists, Muslims, Pagans, Hindus or anything else. I have a feeling that if you really made an effort to understand our point of view, instead of just trying to tear it down, you might actually find out that we are, for the most part, pretty nice people.

Sola*5

Why don't Christians accept the book of mormon as valid? Or why do we not need it? To accept it would be to view the bible as an insufficient revelation it's like saying that there are things missing from the bible that God wanted to say to us all this time.

DeepShadow

White Crow
Why don't Christians accept the book of mormon as valid? Or why do we not need it? To accept it would be to view the bible as an insufficient revelation it's like saying that there are things missing from the bible that God wanted to say to us all this time.

I respect your opinion, but FWIW Mormons don't think the Bible is insufficient. Nor does the Book of Mormon make any such claim. Moreover, there are no "missing things" that are stated in the Book of Mormon but not in the Bible. They say the same thing, as far as we're concerned.

Let me put it to you: if you knew someone who had converted to Christianity, but had only read one of those little Gideon Bibles that have only the Psalms and New Testament, would you share the rest of the Bible with them? I would. But can't they be saved on what they have? Sure. So why share it? I'd share it because it was more of what they loved--the Word of God. Whether there was any special "new" content would have little to do with it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If you're convinced that the Bible is a complete record of everything God wants us to know, I'm assuming you believe that the Bible itself has made this fact clear. Could you tell me where to find such a statement? Oh, and while you're at it, would you mind telling me where to find Jude's other epistle (the one he mentions in Jude 1:14)? And what about Paul's epistle to the Laodicean? It's referred to in Colossians 4:16. 2 Chronicles refers to close to ten books that were accepted as scripture in Old Testament times. Why do you suppose they are missing from today's Bibles. Are you aware of how many changes there have been to the biblical canon over the centuries?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
**MOD POST**

This is a same faith debate. Christians only, please.
Wow! I never noticed this. Melissa isn't even a Christian and she's been posting like there's no tomorrow. I'd say it's time she made her exit.

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
The N T and book of mormon cannot be both correct. Historically, the tribes of book of Mormon do not get a mention in either the NT, nor the OT.

I don't see how a Christian can accept both as being equal.

Melissa G

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
Wow! I never noticed this. Melissa isn't even a Christian and she's been posting like there's no tomorrow. I'd say it's time she made her exit.

I used to be a Christian though. Now I'm a reformed Pagan, I'll gladly bow out of this thread as I have nothing further to add.

Thank You,

melissa g

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Agenda? the only agenda here is to allow people to know God personally.
Plenty of people know God, and are not Mormon. Katzpur said it well: God loves all people equally. It God loves us equally, then God reveals God's Self to all people equally.

As far as I'm aware, Joseph's "agenda" was born out of his concern over "which church to join." He then perceived God's revelation. That revelation was, in part, that the LDS was the only church with God's stamp of approval. I'm bothered that there appears to be a disconnect between the statement that "God loves all people equally" and "all other churches are not blessed with God's authority."

The BOM only appears to serve the purposes of those who believe that the LDS is the "only true church." Since I'm not part of that group, the BOM does not serve my purposes of serving within the ministry to which I am called by virtue of my baptism.

SoyLeche

meh...
The N T and book of mormon cannot be both correct. Historically, the tribes of book of Mormon do not get a mention in either the NT, nor the OT.

Melissa G
Sure they can. Why would you expect them to be?

I do it just fine.

SoyLeche

meh...
I'm bothered that there appears to be a disconnect between the statement that "God loves all people equally" and "all other churches are not blessed with God's authority."
Been done in another thread, but there isn't really a disconnect anywhere except in your own perception there.

I'm not going to say anything more on the subject - just so you know.

sojourner

Some of us don't think so.... still love and respect them, but nope... not Christians in my book.
How sad.
"Master! Master! We saw someone casting out demons in your name, but he wasn't one of us, so we rebuked him!"...

sojourner

Melissa G
But can both be revelatory? Shoot, the Bible, itself, isn't "correct" in many places.

sojourner

Been done in another thread, but there isn't really a disconnect anywhere except in your own perception there.

I'm not going to say anything more on the subject - just so you know.
Hey. Y'all wanted to know why ... That's why.
Why don't y'all really believe that God loves each of us equally?

Status
Not open for further replies.