• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Dont Christians Accept the Book of Mormon as Valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Have you stopped beating up small children yet?
Your statement is not cogent to the argument at hand. However, as long as there are people who assume any kind of exclusive claim on God and persecute others based upon that supposition, I will speak out on behalf of those who are persecuted.

SoyLeche

meh...
Your statement is not cogent to the argument at hand. However, as long as there are people who assume any kind of exclusive claim on God and persecute others based upon that supposition, I will speak out on behalf of those who are persecuted.
Ok - I thought we were just throwing out accusations disguised as questions, so I thought I'd play along. I've already told you everything I intend to on this topic.

sojourner

Ok - I thought we were just throwing out accusations disguised as questions, so I thought I'd play along. I've already told you everything I intend to on this topic.
"Accusation?" "Observation" is a more appropriate term.

Here's the meat-and-potatoes: If you came to my congregation, you would be accepted as a full member of Christ -- an equal among us, whom God favors as much as the next person. If I came to your congregation, I would be treated as one who desperately needs to hear the truth, since I'm sincere, but have been seriously misguided all this time. There is a fundamental difference here that belies our true attitudes toward each other. If the BOM supports the POV that all Christians are not equal in the eyes of God, then I have no use for it.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Wrong, all people are equal in the eys of the Lord, but if you do evil you will recieve a reward as such,

There is an eternal Law of Justice, that not even God can break. similar to "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" For every action there is a consequence, wiether it be good or evil.

All mankind everywhere on the earth or who have been or will be on the earth will have the opportunity to hear and either accept or reject the true and restored gospel of Jesus Christ, If they reject it, it is better for them that they reject it, than to accept it and turn away from it. Exaltation can only come from certain ordinaces done properly and with the proper authority to do so.

When they say that God loves all his children equally, it means he is no respecter of persons, and just because you are Bob, joe, susie, or jane doesn't grant you exaltation by association. Each person has the same potential, but only if they Do what s required of them will they recieve the reward.

SoyLeche

meh...
"Accusation?" "Observation" is a more appropriate term.

Here's the meat-and-potatoes: If you came to my congregation, you would be accepted as a full member of Christ -- an equal among us, whom God favors as much as the next person. If I came to your congregation, I would be treated as one who desperately needs to hear the truth, since I'm sincere, but have been seriously misguided all this time. There is a fundamental difference here that belies our true attitudes toward each other. If the BOM supports the POV that all Christians are not equal in the eyes of God, then I have no use for it.
Maybe you should come and see.

And, regardless, that has nothing to do with how much we believe God loves you.

sojourner

Wrong, all people are equal in the eys of the Lord, but if you do evil you will recieve a reward as such,

There is an eternal Law of Justice, that not even God can break. similar to "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" For every action there is a consequence, wiether it be good or evil.

All mankind everywhere on the earth or who have been or will be on the earth will have the opportunity to hear and either accept or reject the true and restored gospel of Jesus Christ, If they reject it, it is better for them that they reject it, than to accept it and turn away from it. Exaltation can only come from certain ordinaces done properly and with the proper authority to do so.

When they say that God loves all his children equally, it means he is no respecter of persons, and just because you are Bob, joe, susie, or jane doesn't grant you exaltation by association. Each person has the same potential, but only if they Do what s required of them will they recieve the reward.
Balderdash. Grace is not a rewards-based proposition. Grace is not a game of "good cop/bad cop."

sojourner

Maybe you should come and see.

And, regardless, that has nothing to do with how much we believe God loves you.
Been there. Done that.

Of course it has everything to do with how much you believe God loves any one of us. Your belief about God's love informs your theology and your praxis. Your theology and praxis are the proof of your belief.

"Exaltation can only come from certain ordinaces done properly and with the proper authority to do so." That's not love, that's subjugation. I'm not buying it.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Balderdash. Grace is not a rewards-based proposition. Grace is not a game of "good cop/bad cop."

Jesus Christ payed for us, he owns us, he took our sins, It is by His grace that we are forgiven if we repent, Grace is a reward based program, you must do in order to partake of Grace because the Lord is not a repsecter of persons.

SoyLeche

meh...
I'm not buying it.
I'm not asking you to. Your the one making claims about what I believe, and what I should believe instead - not the other way around.

Say whatever the heck you want about what Mormons believe - but I do in fact believe that God loves you and everyone else at least as much as he loves me. I guess you probably understand what I believe better than I do though.

sojourner

Jesus Christ payed for us, he owns us, he took our sins, It is by His grace that we are forgiven if we repent, Grace is a reward based program, you must do in order to partake of Grace because the Lord is not a repsecter of persons.
Only if you believe in Substitutionary Atonement.. I do not.

sojourner

I'm not asking you to. Your the one making claims about what I believe, and what I should believe instead - not the other way around.

Say whatever the heck you want about what Mormons believe - but I do in fact believe that God loves you and everyone else at least as much as he loves me. I guess you probably understand what I believe better than I do though.
Actually, I'm quite happy with what you believe. Believe what you want. I think God's fine with what you believe. I think God's fine with what I believe. But when your beliefs spill out of your realm and try to take some of God's toys away from the rest of us...that's when I get defensive.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Only if you believe in Substitutionary Atonement.. I do not.

Nice edit there, Exactly what do you mean by "Substitutionary"

If you don't believe Christ payed for our sins, how do you even believe in Christ, you can't half believe in Christ, it's an all or nothing program.

"If ye love me, keep my commandments."

sojourner

Nice edit there, Exactly what do you mean by "Substitutionary"

If you don't believe Christ payed for our sins, how do you even believe in Christ, you can't half believe in Christ, it's an all or nothing program.

"If ye love me, keep my commandments."
Substitutionary = "in place of"
Why does God, who is good, and who loves us, demand payment of blood? God is not a bad cop. It was the people who demanded Christ's blood -- not God.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Substitutionary = "in place of"
Why does God, who is good, and who loves us, demand payment of blood? God is not a bad cop. It was the people who demanded Christ's blood -- not God.

Even God is subject to the demands of Justice. HE is a Just God, it says so all over the Bible.
Isaiah 9:
7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
Rom. 2:
11 For there is no respect of persons with God.
Romans 3:
26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.
Hebrews 2:
2 For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward;
Hebrew 10:
30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.

Or how about this one?
4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.
This reaffirms my statement that we belong to christ.

Here's more on the atonement:
Isaiah 53:
3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
4 ¶ Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10 ¶ Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.
Hebrews 10:
1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.

3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.

4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.

7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Calling yourself a Christian and not believeing in the Atonement is a contradiction.

SoyLeche

meh...
Don't tell others that they don't have any "real authority." That'd clear it up real quick.
But they don't. I'm not going to lie about it.

And I don't recall saying they don't have "any" authority, they just don't have the Priesthood authority.

Status
Not open for further replies.