• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is being gay considered wrong?

Aqualung

Tasty
IndigoChild said:
AIDS is an STD, meaning a SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASE. Straights are, therefore, just as likely to get it as anyone else.

....If they sleep around or practise any other risky behaviour. (but I'm done with this thread)

Aqualung

Tasty
IndigoChild said:
Let me just say, to you and to all others who believe as you do about this issue, that I understand that you think homosexuality wrong and that you are entitled to your beliefs. However, as I see no one forcing you to believe or act differently, I don't see why you cannot stop trying to force us to believe or act differently. No one is trying to force any pastor to do such marriages. Those who already want to do that should be allowed to.
How am I forcing my beleifs on you? Someone else started this thread, and I'm just stating my views. Then, other people decide to argue the validity of my views, so I stick up of them. That's not forcing them on anyone.

I know you think homosexual marriages would devalue heterosexual ones, but my question is why? Would it not be better for you to let the gays "live in sin" together in a semi-permanent fashion? If they are going to Hell, then why not let them? It's their business and no one elses. Do you feel that you will be punished if you don't "save them from themselves"? I'm just trying to fathom why you care so much.
In practise, i don't care at all. As I said before, I think marriage should be strictly up to the church, and, if they want to marry people, they can go ahead. But if people decide to set up these threads, i will post my thoughts.

So you're not gay, and you don't want to be. So you don't think gays should marry. So what? I don't see how their marrying has any negative effect on you. I should think you'd be happy... they're not as likely to mistake you as one to "hit on" if they're already taken.
Which is why I'm retreating from the thread. i have been convinced that there really is no negative affect to me if some other church decides to marry people.

Please, explain to me how gay marriage would be detrimental to that institution? Isn't divorce more of a detriment than that???
Of course it's detrimental. But is this a thread about divorce?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
What people don't seem to understand about AIDS is that you just have to have sex once to get it. If having unprotected sex once is something worthy of a slow and painful death, then I guess I deserve it.

Melody

Mr_Spinkles said:
Jensa-- My understanding is that that is not actually true. For example, the odds of an HIV positive person transmitting the disease to his/her partner in one single act of penile-vaginal intercourse is 1 in 500. (Sources: http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_373.html ; http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=73514 )
Spinkles,
The straight dope sight appears to be from 1988 and the Journal of Medicine quoted in the second one apparently no longer exists on the internet or at least I can't get to it. Do we know how recent these reports are?

While it may have been true once, as the number of HIV infected rises, the chance of contracting AIDS with just one encounter also rises. My sons high school brought in a speaker two years ago...a young girl who contracted AIDS from one sexual encounter. While this may be rare (so far), her point was that it may only take one act of stupidity to end your dreams. She was 20 years old and her dreams of children ended at 16.

I think we'll be seeing more of these as the years go on.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Mr_Spinkles said:
Jensa-- My understanding is that that is not actually true. For example, the odds of an HIV positive person transmitting the disease to his/her partner in one single act of penile-vaginal intercourse is 1 in 500. (Sources: http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_373.html ; http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=73514 )
Okay, so I'm no good at numbers... but doesn't this just mean that all you'd have to do is to have that one act in 500? So doesn't that still mean from just one act?

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I don't not believe that a person can be born gay, just not logical. Humans are not born with those type of instincts. It is simply sexual perferecne. As far as it being a sin not sure, my mother says anything you do that makes you feel guilty, well that's a sin!!
That's right, we were all taught to be homosexual by the gay agenda we couldnt have picked it up on our own. XD I had homosexual thoughts before I knew about homosexuality. Try explaining that one.

By the way, having sex with girls doesn't make me feel guilty at all. : )

Scott1

jamaesi said:
XD I had homosexual thoughts before I knew about homosexuality. Try explaining that one.
Same here... looking forward to hearing this fact explained.
Me either.;)

matey

jamaesi said:
That's right, we were all taught to be homosexual by the gay agenda we couldnt have picked it up on our own. XD I had homosexual thoughts before I knew about homosexuality. Try explaining that one.

I had a couple dreams about hermaphrodites when I was like 6 or 7, long before I knew anything about such things. Crazy stuff.

Melody said:
Spinkles,
The straight dope sight appears to be from 1988 and the Journal of Medicine quoted in the second one apparently no longer exists on the internet or at least I can't get to it. Do we know how recent these reports are?
I couldn't say. I've heard the 1 in 500 statistic before, and the first couple of hits on Google confirmed it.

Melody said:
While it may have been true once, as the number of HIV infected rises, the chance of contracting AIDS with just one encounter also rises.
True, but the statistic I cited refers to intercourse with a known HIV positive partner, so the number of HIV infected people in the population should not have any bearing.

Melody said:
My sons high school brought in a speaker two years ago...a young girl who contracted AIDS from one sexual encounter. While this may be rare (so far), her point was that it may only take one act of stupidity to end your dreams.
Right, it *may* only take one act of stupidity. Chances are, however, that it will take a few more than just one. (With penile-vaginal intercourse with a known HIV positive person, that is.)

FeathersInHair said:
Okay, so I'm no good at numbers... but doesn't this just mean that all you'd have to do is to have that one act in 500? So doesn't that still mean from just one act?
Jensa said that you only have to have sex once to get AIDS. My point is that, while this is possible, it's unlikely. You would likely have to have sex with an HIV positive person more than once in order for the disease to be transmitted.

Cynic

Jensa said:
Why wouldn't humans be born with those types of instincts? If people didn't have instincts one way or another about sex we wouldn't have figured out how to do it in the first place.
God inconveniently forgot to give us instruction manuals when he designed us. :(

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Mr_Spinkles said:
Mathematical odds are questionable; I don't mean to say that they are incorrect, I am merely saying that the laws of actuariasm are only applicable on a very long term avarage.......

Take the example of a couple having sex, and the fertilization of an egg, What are the chances of that happening ? (I haven't a clue, myself, numerically, but I know how many couples try for years, without suxcess, without the woman being able to conceive), whilst goodness knows how many women become pregnant on a 'one off' - the incredible and almost strange fact being that the ones who become pregnant by having one sexual encounter are more than often the ones who are inexperienced,unmarried, and have no desire whatsoever to become pregnant. Statistical ?:D

michel said:
....whilst goodness knows how many women become pregnant on a 'one off'...
I'm willing to bet that the majority of pregnant women had sex more than once prior to getting pregnant.

michel said:
- the incredible and almost strange fact being that the ones who become pregnant by having one sexual encounter are more than often the ones who are inexperienced,unmarried, and have no desire whatsoever to become pregnant. Statistical ?
So the people who are statistically likely to have had only one sexual encounter--inexperienced, unmarried young women--are statistically more likely to get pregnant after one sexual encounter? Makes sense to me. ;)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Why is homosexuality considered wrong? I've never really understood why. The justifications I've heard for homosexuality being considered wrong don't hold water for me. So, I think that in the end it might come down to simply the fact that homosexuals are (so far as their sexuality goes) different from heterosexuals. That is, it's a bit like the prejudices that used to exist against left handed people. There is nothing wrong with being left handed, but at one time, there were some wide spread prejudices against it simply because it was different from the norm of right handedness. In the same way, I think the prejudices against homosexuality are equally mindless and ultimately fueled merely by the fact that homosexuality is different from the norm of heterosexuality.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Mr_Spinkles said:
I'm willing to bet that the majority of pregnant women had sex more than once prior to getting pregnant.

So the people who are statistically likely to have had only one sexual encounter--inexperienced, unmarried young women--are statistically more likely to get pregnant after one sexual encounter? Makes sense to me. ;)
Yes, well, I knew I was in trouble when I posted that - I have learned a lot about sex looking for statistics that I can't find - all the statistics seem to be focussed on std's, hiv and aids.:bonk:

N

nonda

The most brilliant mind of our time has proven that fact. You are not born with it because your body dose not reach puberty until a certain stage of every human life. Sigmud Fraud. Read it!!!

N

nonda

Maybe, not for sure but I do know that you do as you are taught. Are we not taught the bible, your not born knowing it you have to read and understand it.

Scott1

Hello nonda... I, for one, don't put a lot of stock in ol Sigmund.... he "proves" nothing to me.

N

nonda

Whatever the case might be, he was still a man of science and that is what everyone is checking for sciencetific facts.