• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is homosexuality a sin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callmepaul

I stick by my premis that the prime reason for sex is procreation and everything else is subordinate to this.
So if it is the prime reason, does it have to be the only reason? Are other reasons sin?

You have agreed that there are many reasons for having sex. So if it is for any reason outside of procreation does that make it wrong?

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
If we were all homosexuals the human race would be extinct in one generation.This fact alone proves what sex is for.

Even if we were all homosexuals, I'm sure some people would still be willing to have children.
I wonder, in a world like that, would sex be seen as primarily or secondarily for making new people?

rasor

So if it is the prime reason, does it have to be the only reason? Are other reasons sin?

You have agreed that there are many reasons for having sex. So if it is for any reason outside of procreation does that make it wrong?

If you read my posts you may then realise I havn't made any moral judgments on Homosexuality.I have meally said that it is just a mistake in the biological make up ie faulty wiring,of the brain that prefers it to the normal hetrosexual act.I have as you say said procreation is the prime reason for sex.I havn't brought sin into my premis whatso ever (others may have) .As an athiest sin doesn't come into the equation in my view.

JayHawes

Arguing the point of procreation is not the reason for homosexuality for being a sin. HOmosexuality is a sin becuase God sees it as such. That is not what he created man to do, and that is not what he created woman to do- to sleep with their own gender.

rasor

Arguing the point of procreation is not the reason for homosexuality for being a sin. HOmosexuality is a sin becuase God sees it as such. That is not what he created man to do, and that is not what he created woman to do- to sleep with their own gender.

But ,if one considers that there is a complete lack of evidence of the existence of a god (any god because there have been hundreds of them in mans history) your point is superfluous and need not be considered.

Smoke

Done here.
There is no reasonable moral objection to homosexuality. Sin, however, is not a matter of morality, but a matter of religious discipline and of what is believed to be divine law. Since no one has any objective knowledge of divine law -- in fact, divine law has no objective existence -- what is considered a sin varies from one religious group to another. Thus, for example, it was considered a sin for Uzzah to reach out and take hold of the Ark of the Covenant to keep it from falling, even though there was no reasonable moral objection to his doing so. It was formerly a sin for a Catholic to eat meat on Friday, and is still a sin for a Catholic to eat meat on Good Friday, even though there's no particular moral reason why Friday should be distinguished from Thursday. My great-grandfather believed that it was a sin for women to wear pants, although there's no reasonable moral objection to women's wearing pants.

For the believer, something is a sin because his religious community believes that it offends God or hinders his path to God in some way. Such beliefs are not determined by reason, and it's pointless to try to find a rational explanation for them. What it comes down to is that something is a sin in a particular person's mind because his religious authority -- be that a person, a text, or a tradition -- says it is.

MBones

Yes you are correct in saying that. Why is homsexuality a sin. But I did answer that in saying that anyone who believes that is ignorant of the subject. And yes I guess your are.

MBones

Faulty wiring, are you a brain doctor? or a brain surgeon? How can you reply and say faulty brain wiring? Are you an expert on the subject??? Sorry the term is Neurosurgeon. Nice excuse, just admit that you think it might be OK.. I may be an atheist too. or an agnostic..

If you read my posts you may then realise I havn't made any moral judgments on Homosexuality.I have meally said that it is just a mistake in the biological make up ie faulty wiring,of the brain that prefers it to the normal hetrosexual act.I have as you say said procreation is the prime reason for sex.I havn't brought sin into my premis whatso ever (others may have) .As an athiest sin doesn't come into the equation in my view.

rasor

Faulty wiring, are you a brain doctor? or a brain surgeon? How can you reply and say faulty brain wiring? Are you an expert on the subject??? Sorry the term is Neurosurgeon.

Nope none of those.Just someone you has a right to voice his opinion .If thats a problem with you ,tough.

Nice excuse, just admit that you think it might be OK.. I may be an atheist too. or an agnostic..

Sorry, I don't follow what you are saying here.
ie Whats a nice excuse.
What should I admit that I might think OK?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
But ,if one considers that there is a complete lack of evidence of the existence of a god (any god because there have been hundreds of them in mans history) your point is superfluous and need not be considered.

But, couching homosexuality in terms of sin is to assume the existence of God, because sin is "turning away from God." If there is no God, there is no sin -- which is what this thread is all about. Therefore, it is your point that is superfluous for the purposes of this thread, and need not be considered.

rasor

But, couching homosexuality in terms of sin is to assume the existence of God, because sin is "turning away from God." If there is no God, there is no sin -- which is what this thread is all about. Therefore, it is your point that is superfluous for the purposes of this thread, and need not be considered.

Nope, It meally means homosexuality is not a sin because there is no such thing as a sin if there is no god.:D

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Nope, It meally means homosexuality is not a sin because there is no such thing as a sin if there is no god.:D

But, if we're talking about God, and sin as if they do exist, why is this positional relevant to the thread at all?

Unless you just decided to throw it out there to annoy people.

UnTheist

Arguing the point of procreation is not the reason for homosexuality for being a sin. Homosexuality is a sin becuase God sees it as such. That is not what he created man to do, and that is not what he created woman to do- to sleep with their own gender.
"You can't be gay because I said so!"

I wonder why, then, God created the Homosexuals to be sexually attracted to people of the same gender? God is suppose to do anything. He could just not screw with people and create them "As God sees them."

God creates everyone in His own image. Yet He creates people as Homosexuals, and tells them they can't be Homosexuals...

rasor

But, if we're talking about God, and sin as if they do exist, why is this positional relevant to the thread at all?

Unless you just decided to throw it out there to annoy people.

No, the question was "Is homosexuality a sin".The answer is no unless you can prove there's a god.(which of course you can't)

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I love when atheists pop their noses into a debate thread dealing with theism just to say "God doesn't exist!", as if it had anything to do with the topic (and, as if people really cared). It's very amusing.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice

What if "because God says so" isn't good enough? What if people want to know why God says so? Are they just out of luck, and forced to live with a non-answer?

Nanda

Polyanna
I love when atheists pop their noses into a debate thread dealing with theism just to say "God doesn't exist!", as if it had anything to do with the topic (and, as if people really cared). It's very amusing.

I can't help but feel that there might be less homophobia without certain religious influences, however.

Smoke

Done here.
No, the question was "Is homosexuality a sin".The answer is no unless you can prove there's a god.(which of course you can't)
Actually, the question was "Why is homosexuality a sin?" That's a very different question.

rasor

I love it when the god addled squirm when the question of proving there is a god comes up.:D Its more than amusing,its a scream :D They can never comprehend that people do care for a answer to that question the believers try so hard to avoid answering.

Status
Not open for further replies.