• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is homosexuality a sin

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
No, the question was "Is homosexuality a sin".The answer is no unless you can prove there's a god.(which of course you can't)
Seems to me that the title of this thread is "WHY is homosexuality a sin"
As far as 'proving' a god, one persons proof my not be enough for for another person.
In other words, just because you do not accept something as proof (or perhaps even evidence), does not mean it is not proof.

UnTheist

As far as 'proving' a god, one persons proof my not be enough for for another person.
In other words, just because you do not accept something as proof (or perhaps even evidence), does not mean it is not proof.
I think he's looking for Scientific-ish proof of God. Something that is empirical and provable to any person

rasor

Proof is proof.If it stands up to scrutiny and matches all the evidence then it is proof. If however there isn't even any evidence how can it be proven ? Answer : It can't.

For example: I believe fairies live at the bottom of my garden . Surely befor believing such a fairy story you would ask for proof ? Would you believe me if I had told my neighbor what my proof was but he said thats not proof to me ?

Definition of proof :any factual evidence that helps to establish the truth of something;

Yet there's no factual evidence of a god.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Let's say there was sufficient positive proof presented that God existed and homosexuality was a sin, (just for a second, assume this).

Would that change anything? You still would be Gay right?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Of course it does. Homosexuality wouldn't be considered evil if there weren't versus in the Bible talking about God being against Homosexuality.

If someone asks "why is the sky blue", do we assume that the person really wants to have a debate on whether or not the sky actually exists, or is blue (maybe it's pink with white polka dots)? No. So, if someone asks "why is homosexuality a sin", do we assume that this is actually asking "is there a god" and "does sin really exist"?

No.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Because the sky really exists. That's not an issue.

You are basically saying "Let's ask why Homosexuality is a sin even though the Book that calls it a sin hasn't even been proven true." You can't call something a sin if there is no validity of the book that is calling it a sin.

So, then a person can't ask why a religion believes something until they get proof that the religion in question is indisputably true?

If that's the case, then we may as well shut the whole forum down.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Proof is proof.If it stands up to scrutiny and matches all the evidence then it is proof. If however there isn't even any evidence how can it be proven ? Answer : It can't.

For example: I believe fairies live at the bottom of my garden . Surely befor believing such a fairy story you would ask for proof ? Would you believe me if I had told my neighbor what my proof was but he said thats not proof to me ?

Definition of proof :any factual evidence that helps to establish the truth of something;

Yet there's no factual evidence of a god.
*Yawn*
Lack of proof is not proof.
And it is my opinion that you have taken this thread far enough off topic with your trolling.
Thus based upon my opinion, I will no longer be responding to this off topicness.
If you want to argue the non-existence of god merely because theists lack proof, start a new thread.

UnTheist

So, then a person can't ask why a religion believes something until they get proof that the religion in question is indisputably true?

If that's the case, then we may as well shut the whole forum down.
Not what they believe. Whatever they claim to be an undeniable fact.

Otherwise, it's should be "I believe/have faith/it is my opinion that......Homosexuality is a sin according to my beliefs/religion, ect."

Saying "Homosexualtiy is a sin because..." implies that it truly is a sin regardless of your beliefs.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I'm not gay.
OK, but my point is just the same. This thread has nothing to be accomplished. Being Gay is not a choice, so religion really does not matter now does it? This is a been there done that thread. We have had former Gay members debate Greeks words and translations till the cows went home. At the end of the day, nothing changed. The Bible still says what it says and Paul was a homophobe.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I love when atheists pop their noses into a debate thread dealing with theism just to say "God doesn't exist!", as if it had anything to do with the topic (and, as if people really cared). It's very amusing.

I agree. I mean, I suppose it's tangentially related, but the topic is premised on the assumption of the Christian canon. In the Christian canon, is homosexuality a sin? Which is an entirely different question from: Is homosexuality immoral.

The latter: no.
The former: Maybe. (Depends on how you translate a couple Greek and Hebrew words.)
Lesbianism: Clearly no to both.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
OK, but my point is just the same. This thread has nothing to be accomplished. Being Gay is not a choice, so religion really does not matter now does it? This is a been there done that thread. We have had former Gay members debate Greeks words and translations till the cows went home. At the end of the day, nothing changed. The Bible still says what it says and Paul was a homophobe.

I have no expertise on this subject and am not venturing an opinion, but I have read some writers speculate that Paul was gay, that is, a repressed homosexual. It does kind of fit.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
As someone who has never been Christian, I always thought the whole Paul thing was weird. I mean, why does Paul get to make up commandments and stuff? Even to the most devout Christian, he was just some guy. Where does he get off telling women where to keep silent, etc? And why do you Christians treat his words as having scriptural authority?

Blindinglight

Disciple of Chaos
Well, I'm not gay, but I would still be bi.

The Bible still says what it says and Paul was a homophobe.
And some of us don't care about what the Bible says, and are confident it's nothing more than words on pages.

Smoke

Done here.
Let's say there was sufficient positive proof presented that God existed and homosexuality was a sin, (just for a second, assume this).

Sure. I didn't choose to be gay, so it's not the kind of thing you can change by arguments, however convincing. However, in that case I'd have to admit it was a sin.

Fortunately, there's no evidence that God exists, or that if he did he'd make such a ridiculous rule.

rasor

What you telling me for ? I agree it can't be helped.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.