• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is homosexuality a sin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
http://seekingthetruth.israelinet.org/articles/bond servant.htm

read the above like becky, you might learn something.:drool:

I said it was not like " ROOTS" if you would read my quote.:yes:

stop taking me out of context becky. :beach:

Instead of just posting a link, please go ahead an make your argument. The link you posted omitted this important passage:

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Leviticus 25: 44-46
Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly

Other Jews could only be slaves for six years, foreigners were slaves for life and could be bought and sold. They could be beaten, as long as no eyes or teeth were knocked out. While there is bond servitude in the Bible, there is also pure, old-fashioned, chattel slavery, and a few variations in between.

What do you think of this explicit commandment of your God, authorizing buying and selling other people like so much property?
Did Jesus have any problem with it?
Do you?
[/FONT]

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
you do understand this is a parable , right?
Yes. Obviously it's a parable incorporating real things in Jesus' world. Jesus is saying that like the slave who gets beaten more, more is asked of his followers. Obviously, Jesus knew that slaves got beaten. What did Jesus say to condemn this barbaric institution?

rocka21

Brother Rock
Yes. Obviously it's a parable incorporating real things in Jesus' world. Jesus is saying that like the slave who gets beaten more, more is asked of his followers. Obviously, Jesus knew that slaves got beaten. What did Jesus say to condemn this barbaric institution?

36Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38This is the first and great commandment.
39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
36Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38This is the first and great commandment.
39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Right, that's what I thought. He said nothing on the subject. But Paul (whose words you cite as condemning homosexuality, said:

Ephesians 6:
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ...

So, to conclude, in orthodox Christianity, homosexuality is a sin, but owning slaves is not.

rocka21

Brother Rock
Right, that's what I thought. He said nothing on the subject. But Paul (whose words you cite as condemning homosexuality, said:

Ephesians 6:

So, to conclude, in orthodox Christianity, homosexuality is a sin, but owning slaves is not.

5Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ;

homosexuality is a sin, slaves is a sin,

servants- not.

funny how you replaced the word servant, with slave. nice try.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
5Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ;

servants- not.

My NIV version says slaves.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

servants- not.

I didn't replace anything. That is the NIV translation. Most experts agree that the word "slave" is the best translation for that word, and that the KJV was trying to sugar coat this issue.

Where again does it say that slavery is a sin? Cuz you would never substitute your word for the holy word of God, would you? As I said, slavery is specifically authorized by the Bible. "You may buy slaves." No ambiguity there. I can see why you might want to try to make it say the opposite, though, it's a really horrible religion. It's yours though, so you may as well accept it.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
So does the New American Standard. Here's a really delightful reference:

Exodus 21:7 said:
If a man sells his daughter as a female slave, ...
What the heck? A man can sell his daughter as a female slave?!? Nice religion you got there.

Trassin

"homosexuality is genetically predetermined," so what if its predetermined so what? it doesnt mean he doesnt have a choice. temptation differs from person to a person. say for a "predetermined" homosexual, the homosexual temptation is stronger. still he have a choice not to succumb to that temptation. i know quite a number of guys who are attracted to guys but manage to refrain themselves from having sexual intercourse with them. they are in other words "predetermined" homosexuals but they choose not to be. and i know a lot of guys who are not "predetermined" or self-proclaimed straight guys, involved in homosexual intercourse out of curiosity or lust. all of these people have CHOICES

in regards to this thread, a sin is when you "commit" the forbidden. if you have the intention but have yet to commit that sinful intention, then it is not considered as sin. same goes with homosexuality. it is not a sin if you "predeterminedly" homosexual so long as you dont commit homosexual intercourse.

My post was directed towards the repeated comment in this thread that homosexuality is simply a choice and that there isn't a genetic predisposition towards it. I said nothing about whether or not a person has a choice to act on that predisposition.

To your comment that having the intention to commit a sin but not actually doing it is not a sin I would point out the bible passage below.

Matthew 5:28 "But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

According to Christian beliefs temptation is not a sin. However, having the intention of doing something sinful is.

Smoke

Done here.
There's an easy way to tell the extent to which a church's teachings on relationships and marriage are biblically based.

Could the Christians who say that homosexuality is a sin please answer the following?

Do you have gay male couples in your congregation?
Are they/would they be permitted to celebrate their weddings in your church?

Do you have lesbian couples in your congregation?

Do you have divorced and remarried people in your congregation?

Do you have polygamous families in your congregation?
Are they/would they be permitted to celebrate their polygamous weddings in your church?

worshiper

Picker of Nose
Matthew 5:28 "But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

According to Christian beliefs temptation is not a sin. However, having the intention of doing something sinful is.

and like i said earlier, i am not a christian. and i believe there are contradictions in the bible. the sin that i was talking about is based on my belief. and my belief (i believe) on that subject (sin) is common sense and can be accepted by atheist.

its the same as a person has intention to rob a bank. you cant prosecute him if he hasnt committed that crime.

so i think we are good :D nice conversation btw. and same goes to the other atheists and theists that i have the opportunity to have a conversation with.

have a good one!!

Blindinglight

Disciple of Chaos
what is the point you are making here? its just a little sin , and incest is a big sin?
But, people keep putting them next to eachother. You may not see it as a big deal, but to put them next to eachother is to equate them. It is saying killing and consentual love are the same.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
Why is homosexuality a sin

It's not a sin. :rainbow1:

Well thank god that's been cleared up.

Blindinglight said:
But, people keep putting them next to eachother. You may not see it as a big deal, but to put them next to eachother is to equate them. It is saying killing and consentual love are the same.

Doesn't Christianity taught that all sins are equal? Thinking about having sex with someone is the same as having sex with that person.

Status
Not open for further replies.