• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is homosexuality a sin

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocka21

Brother Rock
May have been; we're everywhere. :cool: But surely you know that the existence of the English word sodomy isn't any evidence of it. You may even know that sodomy means different things in different languages.

But why are you so reluctant to answer my question? You cited Jude as evidence that Sodom was destroyed, in part, for homosexuality. I asked you if you thought "going after strange flesh" meant homosexuality. Why are you afraid to answer?

it may mean a bunch of things, including homosexuallity:rolleyes: . there is your answer.

i will go with ...... the "it May have been". just like you.

rocka21

Brother Rock
If it "may mean a bunch of things," then there's really no reason to assume that it means homosexuality specifically, is there?

nope.

true. there was NO sodomy going on in sodom.

what are these crazy people thinking!!! comparing sodomy to sodom. sorry for the mistake.

Smoke

Done here.
The word "strange" in that passage doesn't mean "unusual," it means "other." It would make much more sense to refer to homosexuality as going after like or similar flesh, rather than strange or other flesh, wouldn't it? In fact, the phrase is sarkos heteras. But I'm liberal and broadminded; I won't suggest that Sodom was destroyed for heterosexuality. ;)

Smoke

Done here.
true. there was NO sodomy going on in sodom.

what are these crazy people thinking!!! comparing sodomy to sodom. sorry for the mistake.
There actually is no evidence in the scriptures that there was. In fact, if you want to base your theology on a particular English word -- since you can't support your argument from scripture -- there's no reason to assume that sodomy is necessarily homosexual, either. Sodomy is done by straight folks, too.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The Biblical record shows that there was at least a propensity toward sodemy there. However, that was not the culprit of the story, nor was it the main reason why Sodom was destroyed.

(Might I add that there is no similarity between sodomy and rape, per se?)

rocka21

Brother Rock
The word "strange" in that passage doesn't mean "unusual," it means "other." It would make much more sense to refer to homosexuality as going after like or similar flesh, rather than strange or other flesh, wouldn't it? In fact, the phrase is sarkos heteras. But I'm liberal and broadminded; I won't suggest that Sodom was destroyed for heterosexuality. ;)

great, now you only have the 12 plus other places to go in the bible( that say god is agaist it) to prove that homosexuallity is not a sin.

Ready ............ GO!:run:

rocka21

Brother Rock
The Biblical record shows that there was at least a propensity toward sodemy there. However, that was not the culprit of the story, nor was it the main reason why Sodom was destroyed.

(Might I add that there is no similarity between sodomy and rape, per se?)

How could you even suggest such a thing?!!! the nerve of you !!!

"a propensity toward sodomy"

LOL ....... this is such fun!:yes:

sojourner

How could you even suggest such a thing?!!! the nerve of you !!!

"a propensity toward sodemy"

LOL ....... this is such fun!:yes:

Meaning...what???

Actually, there was no such thing as "sodemy." But, there very well may have been sodomy going on there. What do you find humorous about that? The sodomy we're told about was rape (not homosexual love), which pointed to the gross inhospitality of the place.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
great, now you only have the 12 plus other places to go in the bible( that say god is agaist it) to prove that homosexuallity is not a sin.

Ready ............ GO!:run:

Got that Bible verse where lesbianism is prohibited yet? Still calling it a sin? Heretic and blasphemer?

rocka21

Brother Rock
Meaning...what???

Actually, there was no such thing as "sodemy." But, there very well may have been sodomy going on there. What do you find humorous about that? The sodomy we're told about was rape (not homosexual love), which pointed to the gross inhospitality of the place.

sod·om·y
n. Any of various forms of sexual intercourse held to be unnatural or abnormal, especially anal intercourse or bestiality.

does " homosexual love" include anal intercourse?

ok , enough of this!!! i will give you , ( there were NO men screwing in the anus at the city of Sodom.)

now for the rest of the scriptures..............................

READY............. GO!:run:

sojourner

The story of Sodom is a good one for this thread. Why? Because it illustrates how inhospitality will lead to destruction. It serves as a warning to those who engage in inhospitable acts, that the inhospitality will not not serve them, in the end.

What real good does it do to bray out that "homosexuality is a sin?" All that accomplishes is the breeding of inhospitality toward quite a number of people who have good, gentle spirits, who know what it means to love, and who are contributing, law-abiding citizens.

The congregations who shun or disallow homosexuals from fellowship are a prime example. Not only do they miss an opportunity to minister and be ministered to, they sour people who are "outsiders" on the love of Christ. (Remember, it was the outcasts with whom Jesus was concerned.)

So what if the "Bible says that homosexuality is a sin?" (I don't believe it does.) The Bible also precludes one from working on the Sabbath. Driving is considered work. How many of you anti-homosexual Christians drive 7 days a week?

Aren't we splitting hairs here? Don't you think that God loves these people, regardless of how they're wired? Don't you think that God would rather that they be happy and have a modicum of self-esteem, rather than feel doomed to hell?

We Christians should be meeting the strangers at our gates, inviting them in and caring for them. That's what good communities do, for pete's sake!

spiritually inclined

Sojourner, unfortunately, those who are intent on harboring hatred and prejudices will not be easily persuaded with reasoning and logic. I have found this to be true through personal experience as a gay person.

Fortunately, many people who meet an openly gay person for the first time become less homophobic in my experience.

James

rocka21

Brother Rock
The story of Sodom is a good one for this thread. Why? Because it illustrates how inhospitality will lead to destruction. It serves as a warning to those who engage in inhospitable acts, that the inhospitality will not not serve them, in the end.

What real good does it do to bray out that "homosexuality is a sin?" All that accomplishes is the breeding of inhospitality toward quite a number of people who have good, gentle spirits, who know what it means to love, and who are contributing, law-abiding citizens.

The congregations who shun or disallow homosexuals from fellowship are a prime example. Not only do they miss an opportunity to minister and be ministered to, they sour people who are "outsiders" on the love of Christ. (Remember, it was the outcasts with whom Jesus was concerned.)

So what if the "Bible says that homosexuality is a sin?" (I don't believe it does.) The Bible also precludes one from working on the Sabbath. Driving is considered work. How many of you anti-homosexual Christians drive 7 days a week?

Aren't we splitting hairs here? Don't you think that God loves these people, regardless of how they're wired? Don't you think that God would rather that they be happy and have a modicum of self-esteem, rather than feel doomed to hell?

We Christians should be meeting the strangers at our gates, inviting them in and caring for them. That's what good communities do, for pete's sake!

good post.

We all have our issues to work out, and nobodys perfect.

all people should be welcome with open arms in our chruches. We are not to judge anyone.

in the end , i believe homo sex is a sin ( for my life), and i believe it is biblical. In no way would i want to "force" anyone how to interpet.

thats what this forum is ( different views on interpetation).

but , yes this as turned into about 50 pages of " spliting hairs".

rocka21

Brother Rock
Sojourner, unfortunately, those who are intent on harboring hatred and prejudices will not be easily persuaded with reasoning and logic. I have found this to be true through personal experience as a gay person.

Fortunately, many people who meet an openly gay person for the first time become less homophobic in my experience.

James

i have a gay brother in law.

sojourner

sod·om·y
n. Any of various forms of sexual intercourse held to be unnatural or abnormal, especially anal intercourse or bestiality.

ok , enough of this!!! i will give you , ( there were NO men screwing in the anus at the city of Sodom.)

now for the rest of the scriptures..............................

READY............. GO!:run:

My point was that sodomy isn't the issue here. Rape is the issue. While the homosexual act may, indeed, include sodomy, it is not defined strictly by that act (nor is it automatically or categorically defined as rape). Homosexuality was not the issue in the story. Rape (which included the act of sodomy) was the issue.

Rape is a glaring picture of inhospitality. Homosexuality is not.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
sod·om·y

Mine certainly doesn't. Yours is more likely to include that than mine.

Got that verse prohibiting lesbianism yet? Ready to admit that it' not a sin? Or do you still place your prejudice over God's word?

Status
Not open for further replies.