• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Jews don't believe in Jesus

Betho_br

Why Jews don't believe in Jesus

Jews of our time can never believe in Christian-Jesus as Christianity people make "Jesus-god" and or literal/physical "son of god" which he never was.
Right?

Regards

Jesus quotes Psalm 82:6, reminding the Jews that the Law refers to ordinary men - though men of authority and prestige - as "gods." Jesus' purpose is this: you accuse me of blasphemy because of my use of the title "son of God"; but your own Scripture uses this same term for leaders in general. ( Ex 21:6; 22:8, 9 and 28)

If those divinely appointed to occupy a position of authority can be considered "gods," how much more should this be said of him whom God chose and sent (John 10:34-36)?

Mark 11:28 KJV
And say unto him, By what authority doest thou these things? and who gave thee this authority to do these things?

John 19:7 KJV
The Jews answered him, We have a law, and by our law he ought to die, because he made himself the Son of God.

In the Jewish context, only God and His representatives (the religious leaders and, in some cases, the king) had supreme authority to declare themselves as elohim. By declaring Himself as the son of God (an elohim), Jesus is seen as someone who intends to place Himself on the same level as God or claim an authority that transcends the normal human authority of the Jews.

GoodAttention

Well, I'm an Orthodox Muslim, and I do care (what wikipedia says).
Making a claim (that the Torah was revealed as one faultless revelation) requires evidence,

I am confused why you are concerned if the Torah was revealed as one faultless revelation.
Didn't Muhammad already conclude the Torah to be "corrupted"?

particularly if there is good reason to believe otherwise.
What is the reason?

"Biblical Academia and scholarly consensus?".

Don't be fooled by the important sounding words, it is garbage, bias, and aimed to discredit the Jewish faith. Unless of course...

Eliana

I think one major thing the law reveals is that no one is capable of keeping all the commandments all the time. Everyone falls short, except Jesus didn’t. He fulfilled the Law-all the laws; dietary, moral on behalf of all humanity, Jews an non-Jews.
So I trust and rest in His grace and righteousness.

Firstly that didn't answer my question. Why don't you keep kosher or follow Shabbat laws?

Secondly I have heard Christians many times say the law is to "show us we can't keep all of them" or otherwise condemn us for not being perfect. HaShem said exactly the opposite:

Deuteronomy 11 - 14:

11 For this commandment which I command you this day, is not concealed from you, nor is it far away. 12 It is not in heaven, that you should say, "Who will go up to heaven for us and fetch it for us, to tell [it] to us, so that we can fulfill it?" 13 Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say, "Who will cross to the other side of the sea for us and fetch it for us, to tell [it] to us, so that we can fulfill it?" 14 Rather, [this] thing is very close to you; it is in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can fulfill it.

So G-d says we can obey his laws and it's not too difficult. Who do I listen to? G-d or Christians? Not a tough choice for me.

Thirdly how do you "fulfill" a series of do's and don'ts...? Those are ongoing restrictions, they don't have conditions that end them upon completion of some task.

Betho_br

Firstly that didn't answer my question. Why don't you keep kosher or follow Shabbat laws?

Secondly I have heard Christians many times say the law is to "show us we can't keep all of them" or otherwise condemn us for not being perfect. HaShem said exactly the opposite:

Deuteronomy 11 - 14:

11 For this commandment which I command you this day, is not concealed from you, nor is it far away. 12 It is not in heaven, that you should say, "Who will go up to heaven for us and fetch it for us, to tell [it] to us, so that we can fulfill it?" 13 Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say, "Who will cross to the other side of the sea for us and fetch it for us, to tell [it] to us, so that we can fulfill it?" 14 Rather, [this] thing is very close to you; it is in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can fulfill it.

So G-d says we can't obey his laws and it's not too difficult. Who do I listen to? G-d or Christians? Not a tough choice for me.

Thirdly how do you "fulfill" a series of do's and don'ts...? Those are ongoing restrictions, they don't have conditions that end them upon completion of some task.
Acts 9:31 NVI
Then the church throughout (KATHÁ HOLÓS > CATHOLICS>UNIVERSAM in Latin) Judea, Galilee and Samaria enjoyed a time of peace and was strengthened. Living in the fear of the Lord and encouraged by the Holy Spirit, it increased in numbers.

Acts 21:20 NVI
When they heard this, they praised God. Then they said to Paul: “You see, brother, how many thousands of Jews have believed, and all of them are zealous for the law.

Jewish Christians Circumcisionists must observe the Law.

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever

Deuteronomy 11 - 14:

So G-d says we can obey his laws and it's not too difficult. Who do I listen to? G-d or Christians? Not a tough choice for me.

I’m not saying that God gave His laws and didn’t expect obedience. Just saying the reality is that no one keeps every law perfectly. I believe the scriptures show that God gave the Law to set a standard of holiness and reveal His perfect character and standard. The Law also shows that we could never meet that standard. You don’t consider yourself to be perfect do you? Or maybe you think you will reach perfection at some point.

I did answer your question. I don’t keep the Shabbat or kosher laws because I am not Jewish. Besides, Jesus fulfilled the entire Law during His human existence on behalf of all who are saved by Him and born again to new life with His righteousness applied to their lives.
I say Jesus fulfilled the Law because, as Jew, He fulfilled all the do’s and don’ts to God’s perfect standard during His life on earth.

Betho_br

I've seen this discussed here a bit and there is a lot of misinformation so here are some of the key (but not all) reasons Jews do not believe in Jesus.

1) The Messiah must be from David's line and from the tribe of Judah, Jesus was not.
Matthew 22:41-46 The Message (MSG)
As the Pharisees were regrouping, Jesus caught them off balance with his own test question: “What do you think about the Christ? Whose son is he?” They said, “David’s son.” Jesus replied, “Well, if the Christ is David’s son, how do you explain that David, under inspiration, named Christ his ‘Master’? God said to my Master, “Sit here at my right hand until I make your enemies your footstool.” “Now if David calls him ‘Master,’ how can he at the same time be his son?” That stumped them, literalists that they were. Unwilling to risk losing face again in one of these public verbal exchanges, they quit asking questions for good.

Has this inquiry of Jesus been answered by the Jews?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Jews do not have the option to pick and choose what we follow. G-d said that we are to keep his commandments forever and he did not put an expiration date on this command.

Binding

Eternal

Everlasting
Hi there, Eliana. Evidently they do have options to pick and choose what they follow, since some are reform Jews, others are conservative or orthodox. So yes, they have options to pick and choose. And there are more than that.

YoursTrue

I am confused why you are concerned if the Torah was revealed as one faultless revelation.
Didn't Muhammad already conclude the Torah to be "corrupted"?

What is the reason?

"Biblical Academia and scholarly consensus?".

Don't be fooled by the important sounding words, it is garbage, bias, and aimed to discredit the Jewish faith. Unless of course...
The way I heard it is that one of his wives had a connection with a rather devout Christian relative who very likely passed on her thoughts. Mohammed could neither read nor write, and of course he had a visitation.

Ebionite

Thank you. Now I see the connection in that. But, I don't think it is misinterpreting in this case from Paul, because he doesn't say it means something else.
The point is that Paul is referring to the verse that is about Davids sin as part of the idea that all men are liars, which implies that his argument draws from the idea that David's sin involved him lying. The implication is false and defamatory since David's sin did not involve him lying about anything.

If Paul's argument was true and correct, then why would he refer to David's sin?

Ebionite

There are differing opinions on this within some denominations. Even within Catholicism, there's been some debate on this, although not going so far as denying the basic teaching as you posted above.
The significance of article nine is that it conflates men with persons, which is meaningful in the context of the union of church and state, since the state treats men as if they were persons and the natural rights of men relate to deity. This loss of status was known as capitis deminutio in Roman law.

Ehav4Ever

Matthew 22:41-46 The Message (MSG)
As the Pharisees were regrouping, Jesus caught them off balance with his own test question: “What do you think about the Christ? Whose son is he?” They said, “David’s son.” Jesus replied, “Well, if the Christ is David’s son, how do you explain that David, under inspiration, named Christ his ‘Master’? God said to my Master, “Sit here at my right hand until I make your enemies your footstool.” “Now if David calls him ‘Master,’ how can he at the same time be his son?” That stumped them, literalists that they were. Unwilling to risk losing face again in one of these public verbal exchanges, they quit asking questions for good.

Has this inquiry of Jesus been answered by the Jews?
Yes, it is not an inquiry really. The NT authors probably inserted this in thinking it was some kind of home run. It isn't because if you read the text in Hebrew it is clear what the context is: See below.

1721961041315.png

Eliana

Acts 9:31 NVI
Then the church throughout (KATHÁ HOLÓS > CATHOLICS>UNIVERSAM in Latin) Judea, Galilee and Samaria enjoyed a time of peace and was strengthened. Living in the fear of the Lord and encouraged by the Holy Spirit, it increased in numbers.

Acts 21:20 NVI
When they heard this, they praised God. Then they said to Paul: “You see, brother, how many thousands of Jews have believed, and all of them are zealous for the law.

Jewish Christians Circumcisionists must observe the Law.

Jewish Christian is an oxymoron.

Eliana

I’m not saying that God gave His laws and didn’t expect obedience. Just saying the reality is that no one keeps every law perfectly. I believe the scriptures show that God gave the Law to set a standard of holiness and reveal His perfect character and standard. The Law also shows that we could never meet that standard. You don’t consider yourself to be perfect do you? Or maybe you think you will reach perfection at some point.

I did answer your question. I don’t keep the Shabbat or kosher laws because I am not Jewish. Besides, Jesus fulfilled the entire Law during His human existence on behalf of all who are saved by Him and born again to new life with His righteousness applied to their lives.
I say Jesus fulfilled the Law because, as Jew, He fulfilled all the do’s and don’ts to God’s perfect standard during His life on earth.

No you didn't. If Jesus was Jewish and you claim to follow the same G-d, then why don't you follow the Torah? If Jesus said you don't have to follow the Torah then he is apostate and not a Torah observant Jew, is he?

I didn't use the word expect, G-d said it was possible and not beyond our reach to follow his law. You are changing his words and therefore changing the meaning.

In addition I asked you how specifically one can fulfill a series of do's and do not's, which is what the Mitzvot are. They don't have a state that can be resolved by an action, and are therefore not "fulfillable".

YoursTrue

Deuteronomy 11 - 14:

My mother-in-law was Jewish. Of course there is no physical temple now in Jerusalem as it was in the first century CE until it was destroyed by the Romans. There are only remains. She told me her rabbi and congregation would go to the ocean to throw a dead chicken or something like that in the ocean at Yom Kippur time as a gesture to acknowledge sin. How do you feel about that?

Eliana

Hi there, Eliana. Evidently they do have options to pick and choose what they follow, since some are reform Jews, others are conservative or orthodox. So yes, they have options to pick and choose. And there are more than that.

All non-orthodox are apostate, so you are incorrect.

Eliana

My mother-in-law was Jewish. Of course there is no physical temple now in Jerusalem as it was in the first century CE until it was destroyed by the Romans. There are only remains. She told me her rabbi and congregation would go to the ocean to throw a dead chicken or something like that in the ocean at Yom Kippur time as a gesture to acknowledge sin. How do you feel about that?

If that's true, and I don't believe you, but pretending it is, her rabbi is sinning in a most severe fashion since:

1. You cannot sacrifice without a temple.
2. G-d did not ask for chickens.
3. Said rabbi may not have been qualified to offer a sacrifice.
4. That's not how atonement is done.

So he sounds like a terrible rabbi. Profaning a sacrifice was a death penalty offense therefore I do not believe what you are saying, because any rabbi would know this. However there was a tradition called Kapparot which is forbidden now because it violates halakha against animal cruelty and can be considered blasphemy.

YoursTrue

If that's true, and I don't believe you, but pretending it is, her rabbi is sinning in a most severe fashion since:

1. You cannot sacrifice without a temple.
2. G-d did not ask for chickens.
3. Said rabbi may not have been qualified to offer a sacrifice.
4. That's not how atonement is done.

So he sounds like a terrible rabbi. Profaning a sacrifice was a death penalty offense therefore I do not believe what you are saying, because any rabbi would know this. However there was a tradition called Kapparot which is forbidden now because it violates halakha against animal cruelty and can be considered blasphemy.
Ok whatever.. lol...