• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why pray?

Gambit

Praying is a way of communicating with God, how a person does it and what he or she says is personal (except in public prayer at Church, in which we ask Him to guide us and all that. :)

You dodged the question. I asked: Do you ever make a supplication or petition to God? If so, why?

Baladas

An Págánach
Hmm...good question.
I pray still, occasionally. Usually it is contemplative, meditative prayer though.

I used to petition God almost constantly for help for myself and others. Usually seeking guidance, or strength to do what was right.
I still do occasionally, because it often helps me to find the strength that I need, or to be more receptive to guidance in general.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
You dodged the question. I asked: Do you ever make a supplication or petition to God? If so, why?
Yes, I know I dodged the question, that was obvious. You asked a question and I didn't feel the need to answer it. I did, however, answer the original question as to why I pray. :)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't pray, in how most would define it, but I do meditate. IOW, I believe study is the best prayer.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
As I see it, petitionary prayer to God reveals fear, not faith.
My prayers deal with not asking for things (as in objects), but for asking for His presence in people's lives, particularly those who are ill or injured. God already knows what we need, according to my faith, but, as I have heard, He wants to know that we need something, as well. God, in my faith, wants faith/trust in God. We of my faith don't see God as a genie or Santa Claus and when we pray, it is not supposed to be giving a list of things we want.

metis

In the context of spirituality, the term "meditation" means something very different than how you're using it here.
There are many different forms of meditation, and "contemplative meditation" is just one of them. So, for me, study followed by meditation on what I learn tends to work well.

Also, in Judaism, there's the adage that "to study is to pray", namely that by studying God's creation, we learn more about both that creation and about God-- ala Spinoza and Einstein, for examples.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I'll be blunt. To petition God seems to me to indicate a lack of faith.

Which woud give a completely different twist to the saying "there are no atheists in foxholes".

It might actually turn it into "there are only people of low faith in foxholes".

Ciao

- viole

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
As I see it, petitionary prayer to God reveals fear, not faith.

I don't understand this. Why is it fear? Would it be fear to ask a cousin who's good at auto mechanics to fix your car? Is it fear to ask a level-headed aunt for advice?

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
Thorbjorn: gambit's idea depends on specifically a concept of God wherein He is omnipotent, omniscient, and good, so that asking is superfluous since He already knows what you would ask for and presumably will absolutely provide it if it is right to do so, since He is good. Basically it's pointing out an apparent inconsistency between that theology and the idea of petitionary prayer. I've said elsewhere I think that theological conception is problematic anyway, but beyond that I think the objection I have to gambit's take is that it reduces prayer (even petitionary prayer) too much to a transaction, which may seem like a reasonable logical deduction but which I don't think has that much to do with actual praying and why people do it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Which woud give a completely different twist to the saying "there are no atheists in foxholes".

It might actually turn it into "there are only people of low faith in foxholes".

Ciao

- viole
There's a line in Anne of Green Gables that captures the idea, I think: "to despair is to turn your back on God."

Gambit

It might actually turn it into "there are only people of low faith in foxholes"

It is only natural for those who are experiencing a state of fear to cry out to a higher power, to cry out to God. But my point is that those who are exhibiting fear are not exhibiting faith.

Gambit

My prayers deal with not asking for things (as in objects), but for asking for His presence in people's lives, particularly those who are ill or injured. God already knows what we need, according to my faith, but, as I have heard, He wants to know that we need something, as well. God, in my faith, wants faith/trust in God. We of my faith don't see God as a genie or Santa Claus and when we pray, it is not supposed to be giving a list of things we want.

I see no need to petition God. I simply trust that God is working everything out for a greater good and leave it at that. The key is faith.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is only natural for those who are experiencing a state of fear to cry out to a higher power, to cry out to God. But my point is that those who are exhibiting fear are not exhibiting faith.
Would you say those who exhibit doubt are lacking faith, or is doubt a sign of faith?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Would you say those who exhibit doubt are lacking faith, or is doubt a sign of faith?
Why would doubt be a sign of faith?

Oh - are you going for some sort of argument like "if you're healthy enough to show signs of sickness, you're way healthier than someone who's dead"?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I do pray but, IMV, there are different types of prayers.

Can one pray in fear? Yes, but a prayer of petition and supplication is more about faith as I understand it.

metis

Gandhi had an interesting take on prayer that very much influenced me and led me into "rooms" I never could have imagined. He said that prayer is not for God but for us, so instead of us saying whatever, we should "listen" to what He says, namely through feelings that we either should or shouldn't do something. However, before we act on what we feel, we need to make absolutely certain that it is morally sound first, and if it is, then we should act on it and not find excuses not to.

The above is the single best of theological advice I had ever received from anyone, and I wish I had the time, and you reading it had the interest, to tell you where this all took me over the last three decades.