• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why pray?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
We who "petitition", as you put it, are not lacking in faith in God, yet showing faith in God. I don't really see it as petitioning, really. We don't really demand God of anything, but His will be done (as I always say).

Do you think there is a danger of God not doing His will if you did not remind Him to do exactly that?

Ciao

- viole

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
We who "petitition", as you put it, are not lacking in faith in God, yet showing faith in God. I don't really see it as petitioning, really. We don't really demand God of anything, but His will be done (as I always say).
Who's included in "we"? You might not do this, but plenty of people do. My ex would even pray for a good parking spot at the mall.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Why do you have to petition that God's will be accomplished? Do you not believe God has the capacity to fulfill his will?

In my understanding, it is because from the beginning of Genesis, God decided to work as a partner through covenant with mankind taking the lead in determining direction. Simply having "His will done" would be more of humanity as a puppet on a string with no real relationship.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Why do you have to petition that God's will be accomplished? Do you not believe God has the capacity to fulfill his will?
It isn't for God, it's for us. God knows what we need, but we may not know. It's not so much asking God for certain blessings, it's acknowledging that we know what our needs are.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Do you think there is a danger of God not doing His will if you did not remind Him to do exactly that?

Ciao

- viole
No, of course not. Read my earlier reply to another person on this subject. Prayer, to me, is talking to God and not asking for things.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Who's included in "we"? You might not do this, but plenty of people do. My ex would even pray for a good parking spot at the mall.
I don't think I would pray for a parking space since that would mean taking it from someone else ;) . I suppose I should only speak for myself, but I believe people of faith would pray for what they need and not just what they want. I would feel uncomfortable asking God for items. I usually pray for peace of mind, for ill people, grieving people, etc. It actually makes others feel better when they know someone is praying for them within my faith.

Gambit

It isn't for God, it's for us. God knows what we need, but we may not know. It's not so much asking God for certain blessings, it's acknowledging that we know what our needs are.

But what needs do you have if God has it all under control? Engaging in a practice where you are always acknowledging that you have needs seems to imply a lack of faith in divine providence.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
.. Engaging in a practice where you are always acknowledging that you have needs seems to imply a lack of faith in divine providence.

Not at all ! We are all in need .. there is not one of us who does not need Almighty God's help .. we have been created with much weakness..

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
But what needs do you have if God has it all under control? Engaging in a practice where you are always acknowledging that you have needs seems to imply a lack of faith in divine providence.
I can't answer this. I have a different idea of God than you do, apparently. We still have to live in the world, we still have troubles all around us. We still have free will. That's all I can say in reply.

Gambit

In my understanding, it is because from the beginning of Genesis, God decided to work as a partner through covenant with mankind taking the lead in determining direction. Simply having "His will done" would be more of humanity as a puppet on a string with no real relationship.

Do you believe it is possible to oppose God's will?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Do you believe it is possible to oppose God's will?
With a free will, we are constructed with the capacity to oppose God's will even as we have the capacity to do God's will. It is the very essence of freedom.

Gambit

I can't answer this. I have a different idea of God than you do, apparently.

Agreed. We do have a different conception of God. I do not believe it is necessary to engage in petitionary prayer because it indicates a lack of faith in divine providence. I simply accept that God has the capacity to work out everything for a greater good. Apparently, you do not.

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

We still have to live in the world, we still have troubles all around us. We still have free will. That's all I can say in reply.

Define "free will."

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
Group therapy and placebo effect for self Justifcation and ordering of thought patterns

Gambit

So you would oppose your own will then, right?

That's a good question. On first blush, I would say "yes." It is possible that my personal unconscious (my "shadow self" if you will) can overpower my conscious will. (It definitely has happened to me before. I am susceptible to "road rage.")

Why is it impossible to oppose God's will then?

I didn't argue that it was impossible. I simply posed a question. (It was not necessarily a rhetorical question.)