• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women want to look sexy.

work in progress

I like to feel as though I am sexy. It makes me feel more confident about myself.

Women tend to be judged more on their appearance than men, in my experience. However, I henna my hair because I don't like my haircolor. I wear high heels because they change my balance, I even like corsets because of the way they feel.

How do you know? Have you surveyed all women? Dressing a certain way to attract someone is silly. If they only like you because you dress like XYZ, they aren't the kind of person you want to attract, in my experience.
Seems like you are the first person to post a serious comment on this thread in a few days. I hope it doesn't get lost in the idiocy, because the issues underlying the expectations on women's appearance are more than trivial, and tell us a lot about the dysfunction of modern culture.

From what you're saying, it seems to me that you want to be able to dress up/or dress down to whatever level you are comfortable with at the time. That doesn't seem like to much to ask, but there seems to be an ongoing war between marketers putting demands on young women...very young in many cases...to look as sexy and alluring as possible/ vs. the conservatives...mostly men who get turned on/and then become angry and conflicted by their arousal, and want women covered up in public.....and you are the target in the crossfire, as you will get dumped on for not looking sexy/and looking too sexy. So, you have to try to do what pleases you and push back critics form both sides, telling you how to dress, and how you should look when you go out.

Alceste

Vagabond
Seems like you are the first person to post a serious comment on this thread in a few days. I hope it doesn't get lost in the idiocy, because the issues underlying the expectations on women's appearance are more than trivial, and tell us a lot about the dysfunction of modern culture.

From what you're saying, it seems to me that you want to be able to dress up/or dress down to whatever level you are comfortable with at the time. That doesn't seem like to much to ask, but there seems to be an ongoing war between marketers putting demands on young women...very young in many cases...to look as sexy and alluring as possible/ vs. the conservatives...mostly men who get turned on/and then become angry and conflicted by their arousal, and want women covered up in public.....and you are the target in the crossfire, as you will get dumped on for not looking sexy/and looking too sexy. So, you have to try to do what pleases you and push back critics form both sides, telling you how to dress, and how you should look when you go out.

You raise a good point - somebody is going to have a problem with whatever it is you wear, so you might as well dress for yourself and ignore the criticism as well as the flattery.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

You raise a good point - somebody is going to have a problem with whatever it is you wear, so you might as well dress for yourself and ignore the criticism as well as the flattery.

These two posts sum up my feelings on this topic very well.

"haters gonna hate" :p

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the view that women just dress to look sexy in the eyes of men and that men always focus on women's appearance before anything else is almost as insulting to men as it is misogynistic. It implies that men are shallow, lust-driven simpletons, not to mention being self-centered enough to expect women to appeal to their desires while not caring about their own appearance (because we all know no man cares about the way he looks; that's a "feminine" thing to do).

Some people seem to have no problem basically insulting most or even all members of their own gender in order to defend certain outdated and inaccurate beliefs. It's pretty sad.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I think the view that women just dress to look sexy in the eyes of men and that men always focus on women's appearance before anything else is almost as insulting to men as it is misogynistic. It implies that men are shallow, lust-driven simpletons, not to mention being self-centered enough to expect women to appeal to their desires while not caring about their own appearance (because we all know no man cares about the way he looks; that's a "feminine" thing to do).

Some people seem to have no problem basically insulting most or even all members of their own gender in order to defend certain outdated and inaccurate beliefs. It's pretty sad.

This, my husband dislikes such over-simplifications of the male gender. Knowing him he would facepalm at this thread.

You also have a point on "insulting the gender to defend", after all it's much easier to not have any responsibility and blame it on women!

chinu

chinu
@ Everybody, I have one question.

Q: Why women do efforts to look sexy, as some of them are already very sexy ? :) (Sorry I can't tell the names, so please post your pictures)

HexBomb

I'm used to being stuck in the middle. :) I think if you're not ******* off someone, you need to reevaluate why you're doing what you're doing -- not because it's a good thing to brass people off, but because people tend to eventually fall into inertia in our own lives, taking the path of least resistance because we don't have time or we're tired, or it's just not that important that day. The right thing to do will often pull condemnation from a quarter, even if it is the right thing to do for you.

I really see what you mean about sex vs. conservative. My first private school it was ankle length skirts and loose blouses, my second school? We were allowed to wear pants, but I got sent home several times because my blouses showed off too much cleavage (If you can find a juniors blouse that will accommodate a size F bust and not show any cleavage, you're a miracle worker.)

The lectures about propriety and modesty made me hate my body. Being a big-chested girl from a young age, and with control issues to start with, all the "SEXY IS BAD" messages I got day in and day out honestly made me hate my body, that my body was somehow my enemy, and made me feel bad and sinful for secretly loving all the pretty things I saw in magazines. To this day I have a pang of something when I wear a knee-length skirt.

Of course, people completely opposed to the idea of sin could be just as bad.

One friend of mine who went to Bryn Mawr went on for two hours about how wearing lip gloss and blush was "giving in to sexist ideas."

If people think you're wearing a corset, it's like your body suddenly belongs to them. They'll start poking your pinching you to figure out if you're wearing one, while trying to "educate" you on what they think they know.

Wear jeans and Doc Martens and suddenly you're dressing like a lesbian.

Wear a men's suit and you're a frigid...brat.

Wear a women's suit and you're just looking for a job as a secretary to catch your own Don Draper, and how desperate you are is directly inverse to the length of the skirt.

Q: Why women do efforts to look sexy, as some of them are already very sexy

maybe they're not trying to be sexy, maybe they just like it, or maybe they've been told that they are not sexy, or can never be attractive.

Last edited:

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Wear jeans and Doc Martens and suddenly you're dressing like a lesbian.
[...]
maybe they're not trying to be sexy, maybe they just like it, or maybe they've been told that they are not sexy, or can never be attractive.

On the bolded, WHAT? I've seen it plenty in alternative communities, never thought it was a "lesbian" thing.

And you're right, no matter what a woman wears there will always be complaints and people telling you how you aught to dress. Even within subcultures there's people telling others how to dress.

:rolleyes: It's a good reason to not care - there's not ever an outfit that's going to please everyone.

Men aren't immune either - especially to moms. My husband gets a lot of that from his, telling him his hair isn't right or what he's wearing isn't "smart". She'd have him clean shave and have a "decent" haircut. I'm glad he doesn't listen.

HexBomb

On the bolded, WHAT? I've seen it plenty in alternative communities, never thought it was a "lesbian" thing.

I know, right? I'd write it off, except it happened four times.

It's a good reason to not care - there's not ever an outfit that's going to please everyone.

Yep. Wear what you like, screw what everyone else thinks. :)

Men aren't immune either - especially to moms. My husband gets a lot of that from his, telling him his hair isn't right or what he's wearing isn't "smart". She'd have him clean shave and have a "decent" haircut. I'm glad he doesn't listen.

Molly Weasley syndrome. "Oh, you're looking a bit thin, dear." "Oh, that dreadful earring!" "Just let me take a bit off of the top, you're hair's gotten so long!"

idav

Being
Premium Member
Why women like to wear sexy dresses ?

Men usually don't care about their appearance as much as women do,for example they look after make-up,high heeled shoes,color contact lenses,hair dyes ..etc

Why they need to do so ? of course not all of them doing so,but there are a great number who strive to draw the attention of others specially the men.

This culture makes it seem like that's what women ought to do and is far less demanding of men in that area. Men don't even have to diet, they can keep their beer bellies, and women are probably just as hard on each other. Like its a sin to not look like a model or something. Though trends have been changing, men are far more likely to do hair removal these days.

Gehennaite

Men usually don't care about their appearance as much as women do,for example they look after make-up,high heeled shoes,color contact lenses,hair dyes ..etc
You are aware that some groups of biological males identify as crossdressers, transvestites, transgenders, etc.?

For some reason the modern femme look is all the rage. I, personally, have no damn clue as to why this is. People look caricatured... exaggerated as hell. It screams: "I'm vain."

I can understand the appeal behind certain hairstyles and a touch of eye make-up, but the excess makeup and clothing choices seem blatantly unappealing. Clearly, modesty is not much of a virtue in the modern era.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
You are aware that some groups of biological males identify as crossdressers, transvestites, transgenders, etc.?

For some reason the modern femme look is all the rage. I, personally, have no damn clue as to why this is. People look caricatured... exaggerated as hell. It screams: "I'm vain."

I can understand the appeal behind certain hairstyles and a touch of eye make-up, but the excess makeup and clothing choices seem blatantly unappealing. Clearly, modesty is not much of a virtue in the modern era.

You don't have be feminine in order to care about your looks. Masculine people have beauty standards, too. For example:
joe-manganiello-body2.jpg

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
This culture makes it seem like that's what women ought to do and is far less demanding of men in that area. Men don't even have to diet, they can keep their beer bellies, and women are probably just as hard on each other. Like its a sin to not look like a model or something. Though trends have been changing, men are far more likely to do hair removal these days.

Actually, that's not true. There's many men who have eating disorders and overexercise in order to try to live up to male standards of beauty. Fat guys are made fun of, too. It's just not talked about much. Part of the problem is that boys and men are less likely to talk about those things. They hide it. Depression is the same thing among males.

Gehennaite

You don't have be feminine in order to care about your looks. Masculine people have beauty standards, too. For example:
http//workoutinfoguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/joe-manganiello-body2.jpg[img][/QUOTE]The modern standards for masculine aestheticism are equally as upsetting as feminine ones. It's even more vain than feminine aestheticism.

I met the standards for physical aesthetics. I have photo evidence as proof if need be. Yet, muscularity felt like complete and total vanity. People were more impressed with the natural, flowing length and color of my hair than my muscles. When I quit bodybuilding, it only took one year to lose that muscular image, despite a decade of hard work. Nature simply does not give a damn about maintaining one's muscularity. So why bother?

That look is not even that impressive in the end. I look back on it and feel it was just a real intense phase from gender euphoria. Men should feel contented with their body hair, beards, and a natural, healthy shape.