• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worlds richest woman makes case for 2 dollar a day pay.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Gina Rhinehart has invested time and money into quite a few philanthropic organizations and her humanitarian efforts have involved travel abroad as well.

International Women's Day (Western Australia) | Inductees 2011 - Gina Rinehart, businesswoman and philanthropist
http://blogs.theage.com.au/business/executivestyle/managementline/archives/brw2906p028-031.pdf
GiveNow News — givenow.com.au
Gina Rinehart - eNotes.com Reference

Working for a non-profit, there are those who give anonymously, so as not to be troubled with solicitations and publicity. In-kind donations have also been provided anonymously.

She certainly isn't shy about the basis of her income.

People who give anonymously typically reserve their opinions on other matters too. The fact that Rinehart wants to keep a low profile on her philanthropy matters but wants to blast her opinion everywhere on how she should be getting her income looks really fishy to me.

I mean, what does she really expect now that she doesn't want to be harassed with solicitations after being so bold as she was in this interview? Does she really expect to be left alone now?

Alceste

Vagabond
She certainly isn't shy about the basis of her income.

People who give anonymously typically reserve their opinions on other matters too. The fact that Rinehart wants to keep a low profile on her philanthropy matters but wants to blast her opinion everywhere on how she should be getting her income looks really fishy to me.

I mean, what does she really expect now that she doesn't want to be harassed with solicitations after being so bold as she was in this interview? Does she really expect to be left alone now?

Quite the opposite. She's been buying up media conglomerates and demanding the right to make editorial decisions so that she can amplify her presence in the public eye even more.

Kerr

Quite the opposite. She's been buying up media conglomerates and demanding the right to make editorial decisions so that she can amplify her presence in the public eye even more.
The website Shadow Wolf linked to earlier mentions a response to that.
Gina Rinehart wants too much control of the media through voluntary means; and, government should stop her through coercive means.
Gina Rinehart Is Our Rightful Democratic Leader

So she ses no problem with buying out media. Wonder if she would feel the same way if someone bought all media in the world just to only send propaganda against her.

Last edited:

Wirey

Fartist
Who cares what a sociopath with no ability to think clearly is saying? The politicians she should have bought are already disagreeing with her.

Alceste

Vagabond
Who cares what a sociopath with no ability to think clearly is saying? The politicians she should have bought are already disagreeing with her.

She's not an aberration. That's why I care. Mega-rich conservatives and their minions in every Western nation are lobbying aggressively to erode wages and labour standards in their own countries. They use the same argument she uses - that we can't compete with the third world economically unless we accept third world wages and working conditions at home. They are also the very same people who have been bulldozing trade barriers all around the world for decades so they can have access to all those unregulated third world labour markets in the first place. They've done fantastically well with this strategy, pocketing virtually all of the real wealth gains since the seventies.

Ron Paul: Abolish minimum wage to ‘help poor people’ | Raw Replay
Jesse Kline: Have a heart. Abolish minimum wage laws | Full Comment | National Post
RealClearPolitics - Articles - The Minimum Wage is a Bad Idea
Joe Miller, Alaska's Tea Party Candidate, Wants to Abolish Federal Minimum Wage - ABC News
Michele Bachmann's Craziest Moments Pictures - Abolish Minimum Wage: Solve Unemployment | Rolling Stone
The Art of Conservatism: Abolish the minimum wage

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Is it possible she was speaking about politics? She might be saying that COUNTRIES cannot compete against such folly going on in Africa. And that is true, isn't it?
But what is there to possibly compete against? And why should such low standards be used as a bar for measuring competition? By comparing you standards to such horrendously low standards, how can you ever expect to improve or maintain standards for your own workers? Why look down to find competition, when the competition is typically around you or ahead of you? When comparing yourself to such a situation, instead of saying we can't compete if you had true philanthropic interests you would say we can and should help elevate their standards.
And people do not hire African workers to compete with others, they exploit them, and those from other extremely impoverished peoples, to put more money into their own pocket.
My first instinct was to hate this person. But then I realized we are all the same ...and if we were as wealthy, then we'd perhaps adopt the same attitude toward the common man.
I doubt many of us here would. But then again many of us also realize it is absurd to tell people to spend less time living and more time working is the key to making a ton of money because it simply does not work for most people. If that was the case I know alot of people that would be very rich people right now.

So she ses no problem with buying out media. Wonder if she would feel the same way if someone bought all media in the world just to only send propaganda against her.
All the more reason to be suspicious of her. Controlling the media is one of the most basic and most powerful ways to influence people, and even control what they think.

Because there are numerous politicians that all agree that minimum wage laws, and other worker friendly laws, must be abolished, and employers should be able to pay whatever rate they want and expose workers to unsafe conditions if it's what makes the company money. Want she is saying is nothing new, but she is another obscenely rich person who is pushing for it.

Poecilid

Curious Poecilid
I dislike what Gina Reinhart says on many subjects but she suffers from the same misreporting that other public figures are subject to. She didn't advocate a $2 per day wage, she merely commented that Australia would have trouble competing with countries who paid that little (probably true). They took that comment, set it against a separate position she'd taken on wage restraint for Australian workers, threw in her suggestion that people should work harder, and thus created a monster from spare parts. And the media keep doing this because they know people love to get outraged at rich people... It's easier than reading all the speeches.

Alceste

Vagabond
I dislike what Gina Reinhart says on many subjects but she suffers from the same misreporting that other public figures are subject to. She didn't advocate a $2 per day wage, she merely commented that Australia would have trouble competing with countries who paid that little (probably true). They took that comment, set it against a separate position she'd taken on wage restraint for Australian workers, threw in her suggestion that people should work harder, and thus created a monster from spare parts. And the media keep doing this because they know people love to get outraged at rich people... It's easier than reading all the speeches.

False.

I quite like Bill and Melinda Gates, Richard Branson and Warren Buffet.

dust1n

Zindīq
[youtube]B3CcxRbFiLg[/youtube]
Gina Rinehart - YouTube!

Free-trade-rhetoric alert.

saleschase_business_infographic_Best-countries-to-do-business-in-2012.jpg

http://www.saleschase.com/blog/2012/03/20/worlds-most-business-friendly-countries-2012-infographic/

If she is worried about the ease of business in Australia, why would she be concerned with the comparison to African countries who apparently have far lower ranking concerning the ease of business?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
She didn't advocate a $2 per day wage, she merely commented that Australia would have trouble competing with countries who paid that little (probably true).
What is there to compete against though? It's not like the labors of exploited African workers are making the product cheaper, because that would go against the reason they exploit so many dispaired workers around the world.

jasonwill2

The richest woman in the world who doubled how much she has in a single year, in the double digits of billions, does not need to worry about competition.

If she wants to exploit more to get ahead, I would advise that concerned citizens actually do something... hell even a lynch mob would be more productive then doing nothing :D

Disclaimer: I do not condone or advocate lynch mobs.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

So you're a poe.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings, new guy!
I must warn you though....you've stepped into a feeding frenzy. No objective analysis will intrude once they taste rich Aussie blood.
They'll just turn on you. I expect that Sunstone will make fun of your name by calling you a "poe"......oh, he already did. Dang he's quick!

On another thread about lefties having "hate" for the successful, I thought that was an exaggeration. But reviewing this & other threads
lately, it seems that there really is a violent hatred for the wealthy. And if some gal isn't completely evil, they'll make up enuf factoids to
fill in the blanks.

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Greetings, new guy!
I must warn you though....you've stepped into a feeding frenzy. No objective analysis will intrude once they taste rich Aussie blood.
They'll just turn on you. I expect that Sunstone will make fun of your name by calling you a "poe"......oh, he already did. Dang he's quick!

On another thread about lefties having "hate" for the successful, I thought that was an exaggeration. But reviewing this & other threads
lately, it seems that there really is a violent hatred for the wealthy. And if some gal isn't completely evil, they'll make up enuf factoids to
fill in the blanks.

Speaking for myself, I don't hate the wealthy. I don't even merely tolerate the wealthy. I think the wealthy can offer human beings with integrity inasmuch as in any other class. I've worked with rich folk and poor folk alike, and my experience has shown me that good people come from all walks of life.

I'm also well aware of the media effect as a person who's been the subject of both good PR and absymal PR. My own character has been attacked publicly and then in the same breath lauded by another editorial. Every time a journalist calls me, I always wonder if I should hire a PR person to handle my publicity, look at how much it costs, look at how my past public pieces have been handled, and then decided that both good and bad PR have landed me jobs and opportunities without any help, which was what I wanted anyway. :D

She has every opportunity right now to clear this gaffe up with the public. It may even get her more money. :shrug:

Old Scratch

Speaking for myself, I don't hate the wealthy. I don't even merely tolerate the wealthy. I think the wealthy can offer human beings with integrity inasmuch as in any other class. I've worked with rich folk and poor folk alike, and my experience has shown me that good people come from all walks of life.

I'm also well aware of the media effect as a person who's been the subject of both good PR and absymal PR. My own character has been attacked publicly and then in the same breath lauded by another editorial. Every time a journalist calls me, I always wonder if I should hire a PR person to handle my publicity, look at how much it costs, look at how my past public pieces have been handled, and then decided that both good and bad PR have landed me jobs and opportunities without any help, which was what I wanted anyway. :D

She has every opportunity right now to clear this gaffe up with the public. It may even get her more money. :shrug:
Silence, mere woman of short stature! Your revolting attempt to stem the flow of
that luscious rubicund krovy serves Me not. Let the venom fly, & reason die!