• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would God condemn a person to hell who's never heard his word?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
He will only let you know things if you ask, and have faith that he will. or else why should he?
Mat 6:26-28
(26)
Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
(27) Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
(28) And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

So when this reality is contained within dimensions and we exist inside this with God in control, why should it?

Don't you mean you need faith to open the door of your heart to God to begin with; else our own EGO prevents God from speaking direct, as we fill our own cup?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I personally believe that God talks to people that do not call out to Him at times. The best example is that of Paul, he did not seek Jesus, but Jesus sought him.

joeboonda

The pre-requisite to enter Paradise, according to Islam, is belief in God and doing good deeds.

Those who have not received God's message in this world won't be judged for their belief but what happens as a consequence of their deeds, I don't know the answer to that one Aqualung

The Qur'an however does mention that between Heaven and Hell there is a place called (Al-A'raf) where believers whose good deeds and bad deeds were exactly the same: they don't deserve Paradise and at the same time they don't deserve Hell

Good deeds are as filthy rags to God as far as salvation is concerned. The Bible says:

Isaiah 64:6
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Romans 4

1 What should we say about those things? What did our father Abraham discover about being right with God? 2 Did he become right with God because of something he did? If so, he could brag about it. But he couldn't brag to God. 3 What do we find in Scripture? It says, "Abraham believed God. God accepted Abraham's faith, and so his faith made him right with God."—(Genesis 15:6)

4 When a man works, his pay is not considered a gift. It is owed to him. 5 But things are different with God. He makes evil people right with himself. If people trust in him, their faith is accepted even though they do not work. Their faith makes them right with God. 6 King David says the same thing. He tells us how blessed some people are. God makes those people right with himself. But they don't have to do anything in return. David says,

7 "Blessed are those
whose lawless acts are forgiven.
Blessed are those
whose sins are taken away.
8 Blessed is the man
whose sin the Lord never counts against him." —(Psalm 32:1,2)

Galatians 2:16
Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Galatians 3

1O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
2This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Titus 3:5
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Having shown in these verses that we are saved by grace, that is completely undeserved, unmerited favor through faith in Jesus Christ, that he paid for all our sins on the cross and gave us HIS righteousness in place of our own which is as filthy rags, the Bible goes on to say that since we have been freely saved by faith in Christ we do good works, not to get saved or stay saved, but because we have been saved by God's amazing love for us. God saves and keeps us, not the other way around. Salvation is from God through Christ alone, works follow as a result:

Ephesians 2

8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Titus 3:8
This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

joeboonda

We believe People will be judged according to thier works and thier knowledge. which is why we as Latter-day Saints do work for the dead by proxy, and why we have such a HUGE emphasis on Geneology and Family History. so we can do as much of Heavenly father's work as possible to allow those people who have passed on to be able to enjoy all the benefits and blessings of the truth.

Why then does the Bible say:

But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Ephesians 2
8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9Not of works, lest any man should boast.

And what do you make of these 2 verses?:

1 Timothy 1:4
Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.
Titus 3:9
But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

And, why would you do work, i.e. baptism for the dead based on one very obscure verse found in a passage in which Paul is arguing that the dead are indeed resurrected, with no other clear teaching in the epistles (or anywhere) regarding this?

(1 Corinthians 15:29
Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?)

Again, note the chapter is Paul's arguement for the resurrection, even found within this verse, and nowhere are we commanded in the Bible to do proxy anything.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Why then does the Bible say:

Ephesians 2

And what do you make of these 2 verses?:

1 Timothy 1:4
Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.
Titus 3:9
But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

And, why would you do work, i.e. baptism for the dead based on one very obscure verse found in a passage in which Paul is arguing that the dead are indeed resurrected, with no other clear teaching in the epistles (or anywhere) regarding this?

(1 Corinthians 15:29
Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?)

Again, note the chapter is Paul's arguement for the resurrection, even found within this verse, and nowhere are we commanded in the Bible to do proxy anything.

the Verse in Corinthians he's explaining WHY they did perform Baptism's by proxy because they know that the dead is not yet "judged" and that they can still perfom work here to save those who never had heard the words of christ before dying.

If you don't believe in the resurrection then i guess you wouldn't believe in that Corinthians verse. and if you don't believe in the resurrection then you don't believe in christ, and if you don't believe in christ, you must be an athiest because you don;t believe in Heavenly Father.

The power to do works is given by God only, any man who boasts in his own works rather than giving praise to God for what he has accomplished does nto have faith in God.

Read Verses 5-7 instead of just 6
He praying to God about how people try to hide from god because they never gave thanks to him, that they put faith in themselves first.

Again, Read the whole chapter, Paul is talking to Timothy about how the false doctrines are preached and that the priests boast of thier endless geneologies, and he warns him not to heed them.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=63&chapter=3&verse=9&version=9&context=verse

Same thing as above, Read the whole chapter. Paul is talking about the Vanities of false preists stating thier geneologies that supposedly give them power.

Try reading the entire chapters instead of readign with blinders on.

It might open your eyes to some useful information.

Let me also add that the LDS church does not do geneological research for vanity or posterity. we do it so that we may hve a record of who was born and died and who we can do the work for them to help them on the other side of death.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
(26) Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
(28) And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

So when this reality is contained within dimensions and we exist inside this with God in control, why should it?

Don't you mean you need faith to open the door of your heart to God to begin with; else our own EGO prevents God from speaking direct, as we fill our own cup?

Your lack of cohesive scentences and fancy verbage completely baffle me. You make absolutely no sense. you never answered a question and yet didn't ask a coherent one.

You don't need God's exact words in order to have the message within your soul. We were all once divine-in-nature, and most of us have a good idea about how to be righteous, loving, etc. If you are cruel to your fellow human beings, then you can fall into Hell with or without hearing God's word.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
(26) Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

Also, did you know that in the bible Christ Rebuked the Pharasees?

I just see alot of your babble has alot to do with them and thinking they are right when in the bible Christ to them to literally "Stuff it"

joeboonda

the Verse in Corinthians he's explaining WHY they did perform Baptism's by proxy because they know that the dead is not yet "judged" and that they can still perfom work here to save those who never had heard the words of christ before dying.
Really? It actually just mentions those people in passing.

If you don't believe in the resurrection then i guess you wouldn't believe in that Corinthians verse. and if you don't believe in the resurrection then you don't believe in christ, and if you don't believe in christ, you must be an athiest because you don;t believe in Heavenly Father.
Don't worry, I believe in the resurrection, which is the main point of the chapter. It is in no way a discourse on proxy baptism.

The power to do works is given by God only, any man who boasts in his own works rather than giving praise to God for what he has accomplished does nto have faith in God.
True. What these verses are getting at is that we are freely saved by grace, good works following as a result.

Read Verses 5-7 instead of just 6
He praying to God about how people try to hide from god because they never gave thanks to him, that they put faith in themselves first.
Well here are the other 2 verses:

5Thou meetest him that rejoiceth and worketh righteousness, those that remember thee in thy ways: behold, thou art wroth; for we have sinned: in those is continuance, and we shall be saved. 6But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. 7And there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee: for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast consumed us, because of our iniquities.

They say God meets (does not hide his face from) those who do righteousness but God hides his face from those who sin, not that we hide our face from God (although that is a true statement it is not in this verse). All these verses say we have sinned which was simply my point.
Again, Read the whole chapter, Paul is talking to Timothy about how the false doctrines are preached and that the priests boast of thier endless geneologies, and he warns him not to heed them.
Exactly.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Really? It actually just mentions those people in passing.

Don't worry, I believe in the resurrection, which is the main point of the chapter. It is in no way a discourse on proxy baptism.

True. What these verses are getting at is that we are freely saved by grace, good works following as a result.

Well here are the other 2 verses:

5Thou meetest him that rejoiceth and worketh righteousness, those that remember thee in thy ways: behold, thou art wroth; for we have sinned: in those is continuance, and we shall be saved. 6But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. 7And there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee: for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast consumed us, because of our iniquities.

They say God meets (does not hide his face from) those who do righteousness but God hides his face from those who sin, not that we hide our face from God (although that is a true statement it is not in this verse). All these verses say we have sinned which was simply my point.
Exactly.

you just did a 180 Degree turn with your phrase "Exactly" at the end.

or do you not know hot to read english and took what i said completely out of context?

joeboonda

you just did a 180 Degree turn with your phrase "Exactly" at the end.

or do you not know hot to read english and took what i said completely out of context?
Hmm. Let me explain, this is what I said "exactly' to:

Quote:
Exactly.

I am agreeing that Paul warns us not to heed endless genealogies, only.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Hmm. Let me explain, this is what I said "exactly' to:

I am agreeing that Paul warns us not to heed endless genealogies, only.

he's saying not to heed endless geneologies, because that was how the false priest claimed thier so called "power" because they were the son of some great person who died long ago.

you take everything so far out of contxt and try to twist it to make youself look good it's really a sad thing.

I hope your eyes get opened some time, and i wish the very best to you.

joeboonda

he's saying not to heed endless geneologies, because that was how the false priest claimed thier so called "power" because they were the son of some great person who died long ago.

you take everything so far out of contxt and try to twist it to make youself look good it's really a sad thing.

I hope your eyes get opened some time, and i wish the very best to you.
I wish you would give your answer without the insults. The genealogies made people feel safe because they showed they were children of Abraham, which God warned them they could not live in sinful rebellion against him and think it was okay because they were descended from Abraham.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
So Joe, you are saying now that geneologies make people feel safe? so then it's okay to quote endless geneologies? which one is it joe, pick a stance and stick with it.

Ronald

The God of the Bible is a merciful God and no one will be summerially consigned to the Christian everburning hell, unless he is evil/wicked/unrepentant/unloveable/contentious an awful character.
I have posted this same message on this and other "Hell" threads, but they are just leapfrogged to a controversy. I know my post are debate enders and most are here to debate a fence post.

Shalom

joeboonda

So Joe, you are saying now that geneologies make people feel safe? so then it's okay to quote endless geneologies? which one is it joe, pick a stance and stick with it.
What I said was that God warned them against depending on these genealogies when they continued in sinful rebellion:

The genealogies made people feel safe because they showed they were children of Abraham, which God warned them they could not live in sinful rebellion against him and think it was okay because they were descended from Abraham.

joeboonda

Here is some short commentary on it from enduring word:
d. Nor give heed to fables and endless genealogies: It seems that the great danger of these teachings (fables and endless genealogies) was that they were silly distractions. Timothy had to remain in Ephesus so that he could command others to ignore these speculative and silly distractions.

i. It wasn’t that there was an elaborate anti-Jesus theology rising in Ephesus. It was more that they tended to get carried away by emphasizing the wrong things. Paul wanted to prevent the corruption that comes when people grant authority to fables and endless genealogies instead of true doctrine. Silly distractions are also dangerous, because they take the place of godly edification which is in faith.

ii. Perhaps the endless genealogies had to do with Gnostic-type theories of “emanations” from God. Perhaps they were connected with Jewish-type legalism that sought righteousness by virtue of one’s ancestry. Or perhaps he had in mind doctrinal systems based on mystic readings of Old Testament genealogies.

iii. Ancient Jewish writings have been discovered, which delve into the most complex genealogies, connecting them with wild speculations about spiritual mysteries. A consuming interest in these kinds of things will crowd out godly edification which is in faith.