• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you rather live in a world without science...or in a world without religion?

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
I think it would be impossible to have a world with only one... A world without spirituality - without spirits - would be a world without life... a world without life would also be a world without science, without intelligence being able to study itself and it's surroundings.

That's debatable; it's not as if spirits/souls are an established fact. I'll take a world without religion any day. Philosophy without space-men is just as "beneficial" as religion.

Shermana

Heretic
What world would you rather live in? Do we need a balance, or is one more important than the other?

Define "religion". Would that exclude all philosophical concepts that include Supernatural ideas or metaphysical systems?

Also define "Science". Would that include junk research that's funded by large corporations to skew the data in favor of their desired results?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Be that as it may it is certainly a far sight better than being pathologically addicted to what is often delusional religious thinking.

From an ecological standpoint, it seems to me the excesses of first world standards of living are substantially more dangerous on a global scale than any religious ideology, but since ideology plays into how both science and religion are used, I don't feel it's possible to even disentangle this to say one is "better" or "worse" than the other.

So you think first world humans think science is more important than religion because they are unwilling to give up technology? Is that the extent of your understanding?

It seems that way to me, but that would only be part of the picture. What I think is key here is how obvious and evident the benefits of something are, as well as how they match up with what our culture tells us is worth valuing or important. The benefits of science via technology are fairly obvious to most. They're visible, salient, and easy to measure. On top of that, the benefits cater to the egoism/individualism and technophilia of our culture. Many of the benefits of religion and religiousness are not visible, salient, easy to measure, or in line with primary cultural values.

But I don't know. I just have this intuitive sense that in general, science is over-valued and religion is under-valued. This is coming from someone who has a great love of both.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
The world we live in today is the world of MONEY.

I agree with that statement, but many people pursue profit in the name of religion. Whether they're "real" religious people or not, religion is the banner these people rally under. "God is on our side" or "it is God's will" is probably the most common justification for the most heinous of crimes.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I agree with that statement, but many people pursue profit in the name of religion. Whether they're "real" religious people or not, religion is the banner these people rally under. "God is on our side" or "it is God's will" is probably the most common justification for the most heinous of crimes.

Yes true,using religion to gain power and money is a catastrophe.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Yes true,using religion to gain power and money is a catastrophe.

And extremely common in this day and age, which is why I wouldn't say we live in a world without religion. Which isn't to say greed wouldn't exist in a world without religion. It would just be more honest greed.

idea

Question Everything
That's debatable; it's not as if spirits/souls are an established fact. ....

Science does not exist without - conscience/intelligence/spirit/mind - call it what you will - but an intelligent entity who is self-aware and environment-aware - aware and able to record/understand information / surroundings.... If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound? If two rocks collide in space, and there is no intelligence/mind/awareness to understand or question the result, does science exist?

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Science does not exist without - conscience/intelligence/spirit/mind - call it what you will - but an intelligent entity who is self-aware and environment-aware - aware and able to record/understand information / surroundings.... If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound? If two rocks collide in space, and there is no intelligence/mind/awareness to understand or question the result, does science exist?

Consciousness and "spirit" are two different things entirely.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Either way it would be a world without humans.

Without knowing what I would be in this alternatives, I cant know which world I would prefer :eek:

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Either way it would be a world without humans.

Without knowing what I would be in this alternatives, I cant know which world I would prefer :eek:

You don't need religion to preserve humankind. If anything, religion does more to kill us. There's nothing beneficial about religion that you can't gain elsewhere.