• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you rather live in a world without science...or in a world without religion?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
What world would you rather live in? Do we need a balance, or is one more important than the other?

Would you rather live in a world without penicillin or a world without art? Obviously a world without art.
And in what way does that denigrate art?​

Shermana

Heretic
What if you based your "religious" views on what you perceived as "Science"? What if you based your idea of "metaphysics" on what is just "physics to one day be discovered"?

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
What if you based your "religious" views on what you perceived as "Science"? What if you based your idea of "metaphysics" on what is just "physics to one day be discovered"?

There is no "what you perceive as science", or "physics to one day be discovered". There's either fact or fiction. Until it's been discovered and established it isn't a scientific fact.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
A world without science includes no mathematics, no sharing learned findings, etc. So I doubt we'd last for more than a couple of generations.

A world without religion would most likely not affect us physically, but rather emotionally and spiritually.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
A world without science includes no mathematics, no sharing learned findings, etc. So I doubt we'd last for more than a couple of generations.

A world without religion would most likely not affect us physically, but rather emotionally and spiritually.

What does religion give us emotionally (I believe spirituality is an emotional fabrication) that we can't get outside of religion?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
What does religion give us emotionally (I believe spirituality is an emotional fabrication) that we can't get outside of religion?

It depends on what you consider an emotion, these are certainly feelings you get from it: A kind of altruistic satisfaction, an abnormal type of comfort by faith and faith alone, spiritual connections, etc.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
It depends on what you consider an emotion, these are certainly feelings you get from it: A kind of altruistic satisfaction, an abnormal type of comfort by faith and faith alone, spiritual connections, etc.
Religion does not have a monopoly on altrusim. In fact the rate of piousness in individuals does not seem to affect their altrusim. Highly religious countries often have the worst problems while highly secular countries have the lowest crime rates and better altruistic based programs.

Shermana

Heretic
There is no "what you perceive as science", or "physics to one day be discovered". There's either fact or fiction. Until it's been discovered and established it isn't a scientific fact.

So Quantum physics was fiction until someone discovered it, got it.

Bismillah

Submit
Hi Nerthus, I would prefer to live in a world with both! I think both are intrinsically part of human development.

thau

What world would you rather live in? Do we need a balance, or is one more important than the other?

Would you rather live comfortably for 75 years or live comfortably for eternity?

Note: Science has no hold on the use of "reason."

To answer your second question:
Jonathan Swift (17th century English satirist) speaking of the achievements of science and its reflection upon its own laurels. ---- "And he, whose fortunes and dispositions have placed him in a convenient station to enjoy the fruits of this noble art; he that can with Epicurus content his ideas with the films and images that fly-off upon his senses from the superficies of things; such a man truly wise, creams off nature, leaving the sour and the dregs for philosophy and reason to lap up. This is the sublime and refined point of felicity, called, the possession of being well deceived; the serene peaceful state of being a fool among knaves."

Last edited:

FranklinMichaelV.3

Would you rather live comfortably for 75 years or live comfortably for eternity?

Note: Science has no hold on the use of "reason."

To answer your second question:
Jonathan Swift (17th century English satirist) speaking of the achievements of science and its reflection upon its own laurels. ---- "And he, whose fortunes and dispositions have placed him in a convenient station to enjoy the fruits of this noble art; he that can with Epicurus content his ideas with the films and images that fly-off upon his senses from the superficies of things; such a man truly wise, creams off nature, leaving the sour and the dregs for philosophy and reason to lap up. This is the sublime and refined point of felicity, called, the possession of being well deceived; the serene peaceful state of being a fool among knaves."

So the point is to live forever?

thau

So the point is to live forever?

Do you have a better point?

The point is to find out who God is before it is too late. The point is to then find out why we are here and what lies ahead.

If mankind is too full of himself as to not look out beyond his temporal desires and lusts, then mankind deserves to be made a fool of come judgment day.

Last edited:

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Do you have a better point?

The point is to find out who God is before it is too late. The point is to then find out why we are here and what lies ahead.

If mankind is too full of himself as to not look out beyond his temporal desires and lusts, then mankind deserves to be made a fool of come judgment day.

And assuming Judgement Day never comes, who would be the fool that spent a lifetime chasing a space man?

thau

Seeing as there's absolutely no guarantee of an eternity, I pick 75 years... Hell, I'll take 50.

Romans 1:18-25 (below) is rather frightening. Sorry. No, we cannot understand all there is to know about God’s ways, but we surely know enough. And we surely would be fools to ignore that which has been revealed.

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures.

Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them. For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

thau

And assuming Judgement Day never comes, who would be the fool that spent a lifetime chasing a space man?

You make no sense.

You make even less sense "assuming" that God does not exist.

Why assume by the way? I thought you knew?

Oh what risks one takes playing the macho man.