• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You can't have perfect knowledge through science

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Let me give an analogy to further illustrate my point:
There are six blind men trying to understand what is an elephant. Each man is feeling a different part of the animal and saying that an elephant is like this or like that. Due to their limited senses their perceptions are obvious inaccurate.

A man with full vision sees the elephant and tells the blind men what an elephant is and then they know.

So the six blind men are like scientists trying to understand reality through their limited senses and obviously making mistakes. This the ascending process of knowledge.

A far easier way for the blind men to learn is to ask a man who can see. This the descending process and this only way that we can have perfect knowledge.
A counter-example:

At Hallowe'en, some people set up haunted houses. One popular thing to do is to blindfold the participants, lead them into a room, and have them touch different "spooky" things:

- "these are eyes" (but they're actually peeled grapes)
- "these are brains" (but it's actually cold noodles)
- "these are guts" (but it's actually jell-o)

Now... how does the participant tell the difference between a situation like the one with the elephant, where he's being told the truth, and the haunted house, where he's being lied to?

Also, the problem with your elephant analogy in this context is that there isn't anyone with "full vision". The guy who claims he has it is just another blind guy. He has no special insight that the others don't... only a different perspective from theirs.

I-Ching

Aspiring to Transcendence
How do you know the man can see? Logical conclusions are only as strong as their weakest premise.
A counter-example:

At Hallowe'en, some people set up haunted houses. One popular thing to do is to blindfold the participants, lead them into a room, and have them touch different "spooky" things:

- "these are eyes" (but they're actually peeled grapes)
- "these are brains" (but it's actually cold noodles)
- "these are guts" (but it's actually jell-o)

Now... how does the participant tell the difference between a situation like the one with the elephant, where he's being told the truth, and the haunted house, where he's being lied to?

Also, the problem with your elephant analogy in this context is that there isn't anyone with "full vision". The guy who claims he has it is just another blind guy. He has no special insight that the others don't... only a different perspective from theirs.

You have to accept the existence of the original person of vision. That original person naturally wants you to have knowledge and therefore sends his representatives in form of Guru, sadhu and sastra.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes, that is my point. You have three points so that you can verify the Truth of the knowledge given by a higher authority.
Wait... so you really do think that two people are immune to being wrong? That's foolish.

I sure hope you don't do any sort of engineering review for a living: "the designer and the checker both signed off on it, so I know it MUST be right!"

God is the perfect authority and hearing from Him or his representative is well within the range of our sense.
But you already said that our senses are limited and faulty. If we can't trust them, then how can we trust them to discern God?

Well perhaps you could educate me then.
For starters, your descriptions of evolution show a deep ignorance of what it actually says. All that stuff about whales evolving from seals? I seriously doubt you ever studied any of it in school.

I-Ching

Wait... so you really do think that two people are immune to being wrong? That's foolish.
Someone who is recognized as a Guru or sadhu is not just an ordinary person. They must have some qualification to be recognized as such.

But you already said that our senses are limited and faulty. If we can't trust them, then how can we trust them to discern God?
Hearing from an authority is well within the limits of our senses.

For starters, your descriptions of evolution show a deep ignorance of what it actually says. All that stuff about whales evolving from seals? I seriously doubt you ever studied any of it in school.
What does that have to do with this thread? My original statement about faults of the scientific process is still valid. I am a philosopher not a scientist. Why would I waste my time with such a nonsense process.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Someone who is recognized as a Guru or sadhu is not just an ordinary person. They must have some qualification to be recognized as such.
And how would a person go about determining whether a person is qualified as a guru or sadhu without relying on any of the problematic things you dismissed in the OP as unreliable?

Hearing from an authority is well within the limits of our senses.
Hearing period is within the limits of our senses. Discerning authority from non-authority is something where people can be (and often are) mistaken.

What does that have to do with this thread? My original statement about faults of the scientific process is still valid. I am a philosopher not a scientist. Why would I waste my time with such a nonsense process.
I think it's relevant, since you're making claims about science without, apparently, really knowing what science is or how it works.

If you accept that there is a God there must real Guru's, Holy Men and Scriptures.
Two thoughts:

- that's a big if.

- why would "real Guru's, Holy Men and Scriptures" necessarily follow from "there is a God"?

I-Ching

So why doesn't he just appear in person, if he wants to say something to us?
He does appear in person.

"Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion — at that time I descend Myself." Bhagavad-Gita 4.7

But if was here all the time then that would violate our free will. Even when he was here some atheists thought he was just a powerful mystic.

I-Ching

And desire implies reality?

I desire to be a millionaire. Am I?

If I'm not, then why would someone's desire to serve God make him a guru or sadhu?

Desire to serve God in that way is not the only qualification. You have to be surrendered to God's Will a pure via medium.

I-Ching

Why? It would be obviously fairly hard no to believe in God if he was personally before you. We came to this material world so that we could forget about God and try and imitate Him. He created this world to facilitate that desire. Love can't be forced.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Why? It would be obviously fairly hard no to believe in God if he was personally before you.
So? How would that violate free will?

"Easy choice" does not imply "no choice".

We came to this material world so that we could forget about God and try and imitate Him. He created this world to facilitate that desire.
That's kinda conflicted: it would be hard - impossible, even - to simultaneously forget about something AND try to imitate it.

Love can't be forced.
Merely letting a person know that the potential object of their love simply exists is not "forcing love".