• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your position about Islam

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I answered according to your Question " why I think that people will love it"

I didn't mean that they will love it when I will tell them it is from God, I meant they will love it when they live it because they would see the fairness.

So, in essence, you are presenting your own sincere belief as your main argument?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Since Allah means God, that's an easy one. Now I do know that some utter fanatics basically say "I hate your word for God and love my word for God", but that's another question. Here's wikipedia on the etymology of the word

I wish Allah meant God. Actually it derives from the contracted form of "god of the moon", a deity of preislamic Arabia.
Have you ever wondered why most Islamic countries have a moon in their flags?

vskipper

I wish Allah meant God. Actually it derives from the contracted form of "god of the moon", a deity of preislamic Arabia.

The Islamic calendar is lunar & the crescent moon was originally a symbol of the Byzantine that was adopted by the Muslim world especially during the Ottoman Empire

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

That may even be true in a historical sense, but it is no longer relevant anyway. It is patently clear that current day Muslims are indeed believers in the God of Abraham, albeit in a form that can't be reconciled with the current Christian understandings of same.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
That may even be true in a historical sense, but it is no longer relevant anyway. It is patently clear that current day Muslims are indeed believers in the God of Abraham, albeit in a form that can't be reconciled with the current Christian understandings of same.

I don't understand why some of them (or most of them), when they speak in a different language than Arabic, they say Allah instead of God, Deus, Dieu, Dios etc.
this scares me actually

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Shariah law is NOT fair to everyone... women, homosexuals, and non-Muslims, to name a few.

Not to mention the fact that interfaith marriages between Muslim females and non-Muslim males are often violently looked down upon, if not persecuted outright. You see, Ssainhu, one of the best ways to evaluate a socio-religious community's openness is to analyze the frequency of its allowance for such relationships---particularly when members of differing faiths are allowed to come together, marry, and retain their [initial] faiths without conversion being a requirement. Aside from Ismaili Muslims, this is largely something that is so abominable for most Muslims, especially those of a more traditional fervor, that my "position [on] Islam" is a simple unable to compute.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
One reason is because the Quran is ensured against corruption only in its Arabic form, and "Allah" is the name used in there.

Tabb

Allah means God. You've must of seen that misleading video thts circulating around on the internet about Islam being a Satin worshipping religion. The next thing you're going to insinuate is that the quarter moon symbol is the devils sign. Well guess what, that symbol is not on the Qur'an and that symbol isn't even an Islamic one. It is however used used by arab countries as symbols in their flags. The symbol was used during the 19th century by the Otterman Empire as a symbol on their flag and it was picked up by some muslim countries as a symbol also in the 20th century. The symbol has more to do with islamic nationalism than it does with Islam.

Tabb

Not to mention the fact that interfaith marriages between Muslim females and non-Muslim males are often violently looked down upon, if not persecuted outright. You see, Ssainhu, one of the best ways to evaluate a socio-religious community's openness is to analyze the frequency of its allowance for such relationships---particularly when members of differing faiths are allowed to come together, marry, and retain their [initial] faiths without conversion being a requirement. Aside from Ismaili Muslims, this is largely something that is so abominable for most Muslims, especially those of a more traditional fervor, that my "position [on] Islam" is a simple unable to compute.

The same existed here in America when Jews and Chistians wanted to marry or blacks and whites.That has more to do with ignorance and wanting to maintain cultural purity. You should of been in the US before the 70's and been a mixed couple. Not pretty.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
The same existed here in America when Jews and Chistians wanted to marry or blacks and whites.That has more to do with ignorance and wanting to maintain cultural purity. You should of been in the US before the 70's and been a mixed couple. Not pretty.

I'm not speaking of socio-cultural divisions, but rather socio-religious ones. A Sunni Muslim from Indonesia marrying a Sunni Muslim from, say, Egypt would largely be a-okay. But a Sunni Muslim female marrying a non-Muslim male? ... often violently protested (and even suppressed).

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Allah means God. You've must of seen that misleading video thts circulating around on the internet about Islam being a Satin worshipping religion. The next thing you're going to insinuate is that the quarter moon symbol is the devils sign. Well guess what, that symbol is not on the Qur'an and that symbol isn't even an Islamic one. It is however used used by arab countries as symbols in their flags. The symbol was used during the 19th century by the Otterman Empire as a symbol on their flag and it was picked up by some muslim countries as a symbol also in the 20th century. The symbol has more to do with islamic nationalism than it does with Islam.

of course. I apologize, then. But if Muslims keep saying Allah, when they speak in English, these urban legends can be taken seriously

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not speaking of socio-cultural divisions, but rather socio-religious ones. A Sunni Muslim from Indonesia marrying a Sunni Muslim from, say, Egypt would largely be a-okay. But a Sunni Muslim female marrying a non-Muslim male? ... often violently protested.

Yet Muslim men can marry non-Muslim women. Curious thing...

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
of course. I apologize, then. But if Muslims keep saying Allah, when they speak in English, these urban legends can be taken seriously

I agree with this as well. I don't understand why Muslims (even American converts!!) generally don't say "God", but strictly say "Allah" when speaking English. It makes the religion remain foreign.

Tabb

Well Jews say Elohim or Adonai. Should they change? I do understand your point though. I think it has a lot to do with not wanting their religion anglicized like Christianity has been.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well Jews say Elohim or Adonai. Should they change? I do understand your point though. I think it has a lot to do with not wanting their religion anglicized like Christianity has been.

There's a difference though. Jews do not believe their religion to be universal, and doesn't encourage conversion. Islam does; if Muslims want Islam to be seen as all-inclusive, then dump the Arabic when speaking in English. One has to see commonality in order to even consider converting.

This is what people see:
"Allah"="Arabic God"
"God"="Universal God"

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
There's a difference though. Jews do not believe their religion to be universal, and doesn't encourage conversion. Islam does; if Muslims want Islam to be seen as all-inclusive, then dump the Arabic when speaking in English. One has to see commonality in order to even consider converting.

This is what people see:
"Allah"="Arabic God"
"God"="Universal God"

Exactly. That's what I meant. If Allah means God, why should one say Allah instead of God? If you speak in Arabic, you say Allah. If you speak in English, you say God.

Sabour

So does the Quran have scientifically-reliable information or not?

I still don't see how that makes the case any better whatsoever. The connection is still extremely tenuous and may not refer to anything more than the paths of celestial objects through the sky. We don't even know if string theory is correct. What if it turns out not to be correct? Then what would you say of your interpretation that "By heaven furnished with paths;" is a reference to string theory? My guess is that you'd make a reinterpretation. That's a problem. A verse can never be proven false because it can always be reinterpreted to fit with new information, regardless of what the verse originally meant.

Well than never mind, you can look at other proof in the Quraan or you can forget this scientific hints approach if you find it ambiguous.

So God doesn't want everyone to know that the Quran is His word?

If Allah wanted everyone to believe, Allah would have done it without even the Quraan.

If the Quran had scientific truths in it then it would be true whether people believed it was at fault or not. Besides, how many people believe in things stated in the Quran even though objective evidence of some of those things can never be found? Nobody can test for the historicity of Iblis failing to bow before man, for example. Yet Muslims believe it simply because the Quran states it. That's how religion tends to work: if my Holy Book says X, then X is true whether I have evidence that it is true or not. So if the Quran had directly stated things about Relativity way back then, Muslims would still have accepted it as true.

It is true that this is our position of Quraan because it is verified to us that it is the Word of God. However, what you stated isn't what Allah willed.

Quraan is not only for muslims, Quraan is for the whole of mankind. There is a huge amount of people who accept Islam due to some of the miracles of the Quraan. Even back in the 10th century things might be getting that way and some of the information may have been believed as being false. (Just a guess here)

Ever heard of earthquakes?

The question is, if there weren't mountains, would there be far more earthquakes?

If Islam is true, then I invite God to show me that it is true. I pray every night that He gives me guidance. So far I don't feel led that way.

This is between you and God. If you are doing it from your heart I am sure you will be guided. Just have faith, be patient, and keep on searching. Things are not handed to us if we don't go out there and look.

I suggest when asking Allah that you would bow down and put your head on the floor for that is the way men worship God, according to all the scriptures.

Also from the title of your religion you have put, I was going to ask you to watch a video for Joshua Evans on youtube called " how the bible lead me to Islam". But I don't know if that has any relation to your case.

I wish you give it a try. I know it is a long video but it may be worth it.

Tabb

This is what people see:
"Allah"="Arabic God"
"God"="Universal God"

Almost all religions have their own terminology. Christianity is a classic example. Hebrew was translated to Greek so we stick with greek terms. Christ is an excellent example. Most Christians think Yeshua's name is Jesus Christ because it's the Greek version. Christ isn't even a name but a title meaning the messiah. Jesus is the Greek translation of Yeshua's name in English. If we translated his name directly to English it would be Joshua. So a Muslim could ask you the same question if you're Christian. Why don't you call Yeshua the Messiah Joshua.